Student Carers

A carer is someone who provides unpaid care to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour who could not manage without this help because of frailty, physical or mental illness, addiction or disability.

One in ten of us have caring responsibilities, so if you are caring for someone whilst studying, we recognise that juggling all of this can be very difficult. Because of this we have developed a Carers policy to ensure that you get the support you need. We are the first university in the country to offer an individual Carer Support Plan that can be adapted to your needs. We can help with any questions you may have and have well-developed links with local Carer Centres who are also able to support you.

Support for carers

There are many local and national organisations specialising in support for carers. Carers UK are national charities with up to date information and advice on:

For more information about money and benefits that you and the person you are caring for are entitled to, visit the Carers Trust webpage.

Support available if you live in Salford can be found at:

Local organisations will be able to advise on the support available outside of Salford and the services you can expect from your local authority.

Bursary for student carers

We offer a £550 cash bursary to support students verified as having caring responsibilities. For more information please see our terms and conditions at the bottom of this page or contact us on

Useful resources

Additional support

Salford Bursary for Students with Caring Responsibilities – Academic Year 2022/23

Last updated 27 September 2022

Award terms and conditions 2022/23

1. Award details

The £550 cash bursary is to support a student’s learning and living costs and is available to UK undergraduate full-time and part-time students verified as having caring responsibilities. 

In Higher Education a Student Carer is someone who provides unpaid care to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour who could not manage without this help because of frailty, physical or mental illness, addiction or disability. Please note that being a parent is NOT a carer for the purposes of this bursary.

All students who declare their status as a Student Carer either through UCAS or the Online Registration Portal will be eligible for the award provided they have the required evidence to verify their caring role. This evidence will be verified by the Student Experience and Support Team. 

2. Value

Every eligible student will be awarded a £550 cash bursary paid in April. Part-time students will have access to the same amount as full-time students, but their awards will be pro-rata. 

3. Application process

You will need to either have a current Carer Support Plan in place or provide the required evidence of your caring responsibilities to be eligible for this award. For further information on how to apply for the bursary, please contact us at or +44(0)161 295 0023 (option 1, option 3).

The £550 bursary will be paid in April following student completing a Bank Form and Accepting the Terms & Conditions.

4. Eligibility

Bursaries will be awarded to those who meet the eligibility criteria at the University at the time of allocation. To receive the bursary students must meet all the following criteria:

  • Have a current Carer Support Plan in place or have provided the required evidence to be eligible for a Carer Support Plan.Contact for details (or see list in point 4 below)
  • Be verified as a Student Carer by the Student Experience & Support Team (contact us if you are unsure at
  • Be studying a UG course either delivered by the University on the University’s main campus (including Media City) or at a UK partner college: Salford City College, Bury College or Hopwood Hall
  • Be classed as Home, (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Republic of Ireland) for fee purposes. 
  • Have consented to the sharing of data submitted to Student Finance
  • Have met the required progression criteria for their course
  • Have not been previously registered with the University for any course except where the student is progressing from a foundation course to the first year of an undergraduate course (level 4). Foundation level students are eligible for this bursary

For the 2022/23 academic year students must: 

  • Be registered on a full-time or part-time undergraduate course being delivered by the University at its main campus either at the University, a UK partner college AND must be paying the maximum undergraduate fee of £9,250 per year. This includes those students on a Higher National Certificate (HNC or HND) course; OR
  • Be registered and studying a foundation course (level 3) delivered either by the University at its main campus or at a UK partner college: Salford City College, Bury College or Hopwood Hall

Those not eligible for this bursary:

  • Students who are not classed as 'home students' for fee purposes, or whose fee status is unresolved
  • Students who were not ordinarily resident in the UK (i.e. England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) or the Republic of Ireland
  • Students studying on a degree apprenticeship course
  • Students who have not provided the required evidence
  • Students who are studying at postgraduate level


5. Verification of student carer status

Verification will be undertaken by the Student Experience & Support Team, who will cross-reference information provided through UCAS and Online Registration. Each student who has declared their status will need to verify their status and eligibility for the Bursary.

Students who have no current Carer Support Plan in place will be asked to provide evidence to Student Experience & Support Team. In line with recommendations from Carers Trust, the evidence must be dated within the 12 months of the start of the academic year and may take the form of any of the following:

  • A doctor’s or consultant’s letter confirming the responsibility of caring for a close friend, relative or neighbour and any perceived impact on the student
  • A local authority carers’ assessment
  • Carer Allowance documentation from DWP showing the termination due to start of studies
  • A letter from a counsellor / support worker or an organisation such as the Carers Trust, a local Carers Centre

NB: Medical evidence of the person being cared for is not sufficient unless accompanied by one of the above as evidence. It is important to note that you must gain written permission from the person being cared for if you share their medical information.

There may be additional sources of evidence that would be considered suitable, but if the student is unable to provide the evidence requested, an adviser will discuss this in further detail – email

6. Use of awards

Awards are not transferable and should be used to assist with living costs.

7. Payment

  • All cash payments are paid by BACS into a UK bank account only
  • The account must be held either solely or jointly in the name of the registered student. Payments cannot be made into the account of another person
  • It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that they provide up-to-date bank details to the University allowing time for the payments to be made
  • Any students not claiming their bursary may claim at a later stage in their course, including if they have become carers during their course. However, payments cannot be back-dated

8. Withdrawal or freezing of the award

  • Changing a course and starting again at level 3 (foundation year) or 4 (first year undergraduate). Students who, having started a course, subsequently change courses starting again at either level 3 or 4, will not be eligible for the award against the new course. The award will remain, but there will be no second payment against the new course. Once the student progresses onto the next level they will be eligible for the appropriate award to be made for that year of study.
  • Temporary breaks in study. Students who arrange with the University to interrupt or leave their course on a temporary basis will have their award frozen until they resume studies.
  • Suspension of study. If students are suspended by the University, their award will be frozen until the suspension has been lifted
  • Repeat/extended study. Repeat periods of study and temporary breaks in study that lead to repeat periods of study will not qualify for any additional award. The award entitlement is for the scheduled minimum duration of the course and is not extended for any student.
  • Leaving or being removed from the course. Students who leave or are removed from their course will not be expected to repay the amount of their awards which have already been spent. However, the accounts of these students will be closed, and any remaining award will not be available to them and entitlement to all future payments will stop on the date they leave or are removed.
  • In accordance with the Student Privacy Policy, the askUS team and the Schools will need to liaise to verify student status and eligibility to receive payment.

Contact us

If you have any questions or don’t know where you should start, contact us for help.
Phone: +44 (0)161 295 0023 (option 1, option 3)