Skip to main content

Housing advice

For the majority of students, their time living in private-rented accommodation is fun and hassle-free. But if you do run into difficulties with any aspect of your accommodation, we are here to help.

Below are some of the most common housing issues we are contacted about. We have a number of resources to help you, so advise you read the information available here to see if your issue is covered:

If you signed a fixed-term tenancy but want to move out, for whatever reason, before you tenancy expires, you need to be aware of several issues. Download and keep our Leaving a tenancy early factsheet. If you have any questions you can contact us on or by telephone on 0161 295 0023 option 3 then 3.

If your landlord is withholding your deposit there are steps you can take to ensure any amount is fair and accountable. Download our deposits factsheet for full details of what you need to do. If you need further advice, you can contact us on or by telephone on 0161 295 0023 option 3 then 3.

Responsibility for repairs can depend on the type of repair and the contract you have with your landlord. Download our repairs factsheet for full information on how to proceed.

Housing Hand Logo

Some private housing providers want students to have a guarantor who lives in the UK. If you do not have a UK guarantor you may be asked to pay anything between 3 and 12 months’ rent in advance.

Housing Hand are an organisation who may be able to provide you with a UK based guarantor. For more information on guarantors, see our section on contracts and agreements below and check out our housing contracts factsheet.

From February 2019 the University is working in partnership with Housing Hand to offer a rent guarantor service to all UK, European and International students (subject to some conditions, see below). The University has arranged a set price with Housing Hand for the service of £250, or 8 monthly instalments of £35, and for this, Housing Hand will act as your rent guarantor for up to 12 months. A UK rent guarantor is usually required by most letting agencies, and some landlords, and if you don’t have one, you may be asked to pay your rental costs up front (which could be between 6-12 months rent dependent upon the terms of the rental agreement).

Eligibility for service

To apply to Housing Hand, you will need to provide:

  • proof of study in the UK
  • a photo ID
  • co-signer's details and documents
  • a National Insurance number (UK students only)

The easiest way to see if you are eligible is to use Housing Hand’s quick and free application form which can be accessed here.

Further support

If you are a Care Leaver or Estranged student, and don’t have someone who can act as co-signer, you may qualify for additional guarantor support from the University. Click here to view the Terms and Conditions and contact the Student Diversity Team on for more details.

Problems or queries

If you have a problem with your housing and can't find the answers you need on these web pages.

Please get in touch E - or T- 0161 295 0023