Functional Skills Courses
To undertake an apprenticeship programme, the funding rules state that apprentices must hold GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths at C / Level 4 or above. If apprentices do not hold these qualifications, then they will have the option to study with our preferred provider Rochdale Training.
If an apprentice does not have a certificate and/or a notification of results, we will ask the apprentice to get a replacement certificate from the relevant awarding organisation (there will be a cost for this). If this is not possible, we can accept one of the following as evidence of achievement in English and/or Maths:
- A report from the school information management system (SIMS) or Candidate Management Information System (CMIS), which must be authenticated with a stamp from the relevant school/college or provider, and signed by the examinations officer or other equivalent authority
- A National Record of Achievement (NRA), which must contain relevant awarding organisation verifiable achievement
- A report generated from the Personal Learner Record system (we will check this for you but it only records qualifications gained in England from 2012 onwards)
These types of evidence must contain: the apprentice’s full name, date of birth, the full name of qualification (including awarding organisation name and qualification accreditation number), the grade awarded, and the date of achievement.
A statement of results on headed paper from a school, college, or other provider is not acceptable evidence of achievement in English and/or Maths.
You can see a list of acceptable qualifications for English and Maths.
What if I don’t meet the requirements?
If apprentices don’t meet the requirements for Maths and English then we will put them in touch with Rochdale Training to undertake these prior to starting the programme. Due to the level of our apprenticeship programmes and amount of work and commitment required to succeed and progress, it is University policy that apprentices must undertake their Maths and English prior to starting on the programme.
It is important to get in touch with us as soon as early as possible to allow time to complete the Maths and English prior to the programme start date.
- Fully funded
- 12 week courses delivered in classroom or remote (possibility for fast track dependent on current working level)
- All resources provided
- Dedicated support
- Exam preparation
- Flexible intakes (depending on demand)
If you have a specific question about Rochdale Training that isn't answered here please contact them using email@example.com.