Violence, Crime and Other Serious Incidents

If you feel seriously at risk or are at immediate physical threat call 999 to ask for the police. 

If you are on or near campus you can also contact the University Security team 24 hours on their emergency number 0161 295 3333 (the non-emergency number is 0161 295 4773).  If you have called the police to the campus please let the Security team know as they can provide support.

If you have been the victim of crime you can call the police and also the Victim Support Service provides a range of services.

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted you can contact the St. Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) in Manchester which offers a comprehensive specialist care service for adults and children who have experienced rape or sexual assault either recently or historically.  If you are outside Manchester you can find your nearest SARC here. We have also produced guidance to help you understand different options available to you and have more information on Report and Support.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse you can call the Refuge National Domestic Abuse Helpline 24 hours on 0808 2000 247 (free to call within the UK) and visit the information on Report and Support.

If you are afraid you may be imprisoned or taken abroad against your will for the purposes of marriage you can contact the Forced Marriage Unit for help. Call 020 7008 0151 9am – 5pm weekdays.  At other times call 020 7008 1500 and ask for the Global Response Centre.  If you are outside the UK call +44 (0)20 7008 0151 (not free call).  Email  Karma Nirvana can also provide support and advice for victims or those in danger of honour based abuse and forced marriage. You can contact the UK helpline on 0800 5999 247 between 9-5 Monday to Friday. You can also email them:

If you have been the victim of bullying or harassment or have witnessed bullying or harassment (even when online), please head to Report and Support.