Applying and studying at university can be a challenge for any student, but for those who are seeking sanctuary or been granted refugee status in the UK, there can be many legal and emotional challenges as well. We work in partnership with local and national organisations to ensure that we can offer effective support for you.
All sanctuary seeking students, those with humanitarian protection and those with refugee status (not just Article 26 students) can talk to an adviser in askUS. Send us an email to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0161 295 0023.
- SW Educational Support for refugees - provides grants & scholarships for education
- Family Action provides practical, emotional and financial support
- Student Loans - Non-UK Nationals who have lived in the UK a long time
- Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit
Article 26 scholarships
Applications for the Article 26 Scholarship for the academic year 2022/2023 are now open and will close at 12 noon on Friday 20 May 2022.
Article 26 student scholarships are for those from forced migrant backgrounds who face a barrier to accessing university because Home Office regulations surrounding their immigration status prevent them from accessing finance from Student Finance England.
We are proud to be one of the first of a growing number of universities to offer Article 26 scholarships. We have offered these scholarships since 2012 and all scholarship holders have been successful in finishing and gaining a degree.
- You must be ineligible for Student Finance because of your asylum or forced migrant status, or a dependant’s status
- You must be applying for a full-time undergraduate course. All undergraduate courses are eligible. Foundation degrees and accelerated degrees are also eligible. We cannot accept applications for postgraduate courses or part-time routes
- You must live in the Greater Manchester area or have some evidence that you will have somewhere to live in Greater Manchester
- You must have an offer from the University of Salford – either unconditional or conditional. You can fill out the application form before you have received an offer, but to be eligible you must have received an offer from us before the closing date of the application
- We have four scholarships available which consist of a full tuition fee waiver and a £1000 per annum bursary only
Information about programmes can be found here:
- School of Arts and Media
- School of Science, Engineering and Environment
- School of Health and Society
- Salford Business School
We especially welcome applications for programmes in Arts and Media as these are often underrepresented in the applications that we receive.
If you have any questions about support you can receive as a sanctuary seeking student, please contact askUS.
- Phone: 0161 295 0023 option 1, option 3
- Email: email@example.com