The Director Development Programme prepares new aspiring and practising Directors to excel in their roles. This 5-day acceleration course features experienced tutors who have theoretical and practical knowledge of what it takes to become a successful director.
Directors provide strong leadership to an organisation and are legally responsible for their organisation’s success – delivering value to shareholders.
This director-level training is designed to develop professionals in the key competencies areas to be a successful directors by exploring strategy, marketing, finance, leadership and governance.
Delegates will have the option to obtain an accredited Institute of Leadership and Management Level 7 (Masters Level) in Strategic Leadership.
At a glance
- Understand the language and dominant concepts in strategy
- Ability to carry out broad and deep strategic analysis
- Insight into strategy, success and strategic change goals short and medium term
- Knowledge of strategic change frameworks
- Strategy toolkit to be used for the future
- Gain director-level knowledge of marketing
- Learn the best practices and effective theories
- Topics will include brand development and stakeholder communications
- Delegates will work in group workshops and practical sessions
- Understand financial legal responsibilities
- Review common financial reports and statements
- Be able to assess basic financial ratios to understand the health of an organisation
- Learn how to raise funding and use/manage debt to the organisation’s advantage.
- Assess the risks and opportunities that effect your finance team
- Understand how today’s digital and global economy can change leadership and management practices
- Learn how to manage performance and lead a high performing team
- Drive a good work culture and encourage diversity
- Use key coaching and mentoring skills to drive results
- Review the corporate governance code and what does it mean to you
- Understand the legal responsibilities as a director according to the law
- Manage risk in your business
- Know the different legal requirements for different types of organisations
- Legal requirements – Understand the legal requirements Directors must fulfil within their organisation
- Confidence – Build confidence amongst your peers in the board rooms and completing financial report tasks
- Leadership – Learn how to lead a team to drive organisational success, drive good work culture and encourage diversity
- Digital – Understand the current digital economy and how that can impact your organisation and develop organisational strategies that promote innovation and value.
- Marketing – Gain knowledge around the importance of marketing and analyse competition
The Director Development Programme welcomes current Directors, those aspiring to get in and stay in the boardroom, Senior Managers, NEDs and chairpersons.
Digital Marketing Expert.
Martin has worked in the marketing industry for 31 years. For the first part of his career, he worked client-side for various major motor manufacturers and for the last 20 years has worked agency-side for a broad range of large and small clients.
As both Marketing Director and Managing Director, he has worked with clients at every level to implement marketing strategies and develop tactical campaigns across companies as diverse as Lloyds TSB, Mercedes, Scania and Harper Collins. Over the last 8 years, he has worked with companies throughout a wide range of industry sectors, from start-up entrepreneurs to larger, well-established brands.
He delivers training, coaching, and consultancy on every element of marketing, and has trained hundreds of companies in how to develop their marketing: what to do, what not to do, and how it all fits together.
He is a combination of strategist, planner, and tactical marketeer with a wealth of real experience working as, and with, marketing directors, owner-drivers, CEOs and teams.
HR Director – Change Leaders – Non-Executive Director
Anne is a successful leader of change and is a passionate believer in setting people up to succeed. In her Royal Mail Career, Anne has worked with the CEO and her team to deliver transformational change.
- Designing and leading the people strategy to underpin Delivery Transformation focused on organisation design, learning and engagement touching 100,00 people.
- Leading Organisation Design for the HR Function.
- Changing the way Learning and Development were practised in the organisation.
- Designing and implementing a talent review for the top 200 operations leaders.
- Leading a £360m negotiation to reform operations in London.
Anne brings good energy to her work. She is renowned for understanding the business proposition first and applying HR practice to it. She stays up to date with current thinking and her trademark is to translate even the most complex change into simple communication to which people can relate.
A non-exec director, interim HR Director and Prince’s Trust mentor, Anne is now sharing her expertise across a broad range of business and not-for-profit organisations.
Kate is a motivational leader and coach with over 33 years’ experience in facilitating organisational design, development and transition for a broad range of companies, sectors and individuals. Kate is focused on helping companies understand that people are their greatest asset and in cultivating the environment and culture that enables leaders to raise their performance and deliver sustainable change. She also holds a wealth of board experience and is especially adept at venturing constructive challenge and building strong relationships between the executives and non-executives of a board.
Kate has a successful track record of working with a variety of stakeholders, to identify solutions to problems and implement strategies and operational plans - focused on the environment and culture that enables them to raise their performance and deliver sustainable change. She has a proven track record across a broad range of sectors and disciplines, developing strategic roadmaps for outstanding organisations including the University of York (a member of the Russell Group), Huntsman, ICI and British Rowing.
Director of Strategy at University of Salford &Non-Executive Director and Chair of the Audit Committee, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust.
Jackie joined the University of Salford in 2016 as its first Director of Strategy. Prior to this, she led the Strategic Planning and Management Information team within MMU, with a mandate to help change the strategic planning direction of the University.
A qualified management accountant, Jackie had a career in financial planning and management within the steel industry, before moving into Higher Education in 2003, where she eventually moved into Strategic Planning and Performance, successfully leading the team to an industry award for the implementation of Northumbria’s business intelligence solution. Jackie is also Deputy Chair of the Higher Education Strategic Planning Association.
Director of Finance, University of Salford & Non-Exec Director of Mid Yorkshire Hospitals Trust.
Julie Charge has been the University's Director of Finance since December 2014, having joined the University earlier that year as the Associate Director.
Before joining the University of Salford, Julie held a number of senior management financial roles in the private sector. She was the financial lead in the commissioning of two newly built hospitals in Bath and Reading Hospital under Circle Health Ltd, subsequently becoming the Head of Finance for both of them. Prior to this, she was instrumental in the development of a joint venture company before holding Finance Director and Commercial Director roles within that company - Innserve Ltd.
She also worked for Scottish and Newcastle (now Heineken) for 15 years in a number of financial roles across the company.