Dance: Performance and Professional Practices
School - School of Arts & Media
Subject area - Performing Arts
Start Dates(s): July
One year full-time
Two years part-time
Full-time - £7,560
- Grow as performers through opportunities to work with Joss Arnott and top international choreographers
- Develop your work as both a professional dancer and dance professional, developing your skills as a creative entrepreneur and enabling you to pursue a sustainable career in dance
- Immerse yourself in the vibrant arts and performance scene in Salford and Manchester, and expand your creative horizons in a national tour
- Part-time study option
- Work/industrial placement opportunity
- International students can apply
The MA Dance Performance and Professional Practice is a professionally focused course, co-designed and co-delivered with industry partner Joss Arnott Dance. The course explores dance performance in a ‘company model’: as a dancer in a small ensemble, you will work with a collection of international choreographers to co-produce a programme of new performance works. The student company will tour nationally under the artistic direction and guidance of Joss Arnott and a wider team of dance professionals.
This programme not only focuses at contemporary dance performance at the highest level, but also addresses the wider needs of the dance professional. As such, the course includes modules on teaching/pedagogy and small scale touring, widening their skills and knowledge for their portfolio careers. Students will be involved in production and workshop delivery as part of the tour, equipping them with the skills, knowledge and experience to expand your professional opportunities upon graduation.
This is prestigious and highly selective programme has industry collaboration at its very heart and mirrors working environments in the creative industries. Join us to expand yourself as a performer, an artist, a collaborator and a well-rounded dance professional in the thriving cultural scene in Salford and Manchester.
MA Dance Performance and Professional Practices supports you to expand and refine your approaches as a dancer in the choreographic process, hone your skills in dance performance and develop the professional experiences central to a sustainable career in dance.
Through the programme, you will:
- Collaborate with Joss Arnott, other international choreographers and other student company members to develop new dance works
- Develop technically and creatively in preparation for a national tour
- Expand your professional skillset in producing, touring, workshop development and delivery
- Engage with creative trends and current issues within the field of professional dance and performance
- Develop your own creative research project, drawing on your experiences within the student company and positioning your future practice in the wider creative field after graduation
- Talent development for young dancers
- Engagement with current issues through dance experience
- Workshop design
- Educational aspects of dance performance and touring
Students have choice of a second module option in Semester 2, choosing from one of the following two modules: