Dance: Choreography and Professional Practices
School - School of Arts & Media
Subject area - Performing Arts
Start Dates(s): September
1 year full-time
2 years part-time
Part-time - £1,230 per 30 credit module
UK - £12,420
International - £14,440
- A creative university with leading industry partnerships, including an artist-in-residence programme, relationships with Arts Council England and leading venues such as HOME and The Lowry. An industry placement is an integral part of this programme and will allow you to benefit from these partnerships
- Supports students’ development as both professional dancers and dance professionals, enabling them to pursue a sustainable career in their field
- Designed to work with choreographers at all stages of their careers, offering full and part-time models that can be integrated with professional choreographic projects.
- Part-time study option
- Work/industrial placement opportunity
- International students can apply
The MA Dance: Choreography and Professional Practices programme explores the art and craft of choreography, as well as the wider professional demands of a choreographer, such as skills in producing and pedagogy. It will equip you with the skills and knowledge to make work in professional contexts, creating dance as a dance maker, devisor and collaborator.
This programme takes the focus of a choreographer as both an artist and a creative entrepreneur, exploring the creative practices innate in dance making and the concentric circle of work related to choreography as a ‘portfolio career’. We explore the importance of creative collaboration, exploring interdisciplinary work and embedding an industry placement into the development of the students’ final choreographic project.
The course is also designed to work with the rhythm of the professional field of dance and allow you to integrate your professional work with postgraduate study. Final choreographic works will be co-produced in a festival each September and framed to be developed further in professional contexts beyond the MA course. For established choreographers, the part-time mode of study enables you to embed the development of a new professional project into the MA study, enabling you to deepen and inform your professional practice at the same time.
MA Dance: Choreography and Professional Practices supports you to expand and refine your approaches to the choreographic process, hone your skills as a dance maker, and develop the professional experiences central to a sustainable career in dance.
Through the programme, you will:
- Engage with creative trends, current issues, and contextual frameworks within the field of professional dance and performance
- Explore, experiment and take risks in your current choreographic practices, making a range of new works across dance and interdisciplinary performance
- Support your ongoing personal development through regular technique classes
- Expand your professional skillset in producing, touring, workshop development and delivery
- Develop your own creative research project, drawing on your experiences within the student company and positioning your future practice in the wider creative field after graduation
- Talent development for young dancers
- Engagement with current issues through dance experience
- Workshop design
- Educational aspects of dance performance and touring
- Practice as Research approaches
- Research and development
- Audiences and strategies for engagement
- The performance landscape, including venues and arts organisations
- Networks and critical friends
- Documentation and dissemination
- Site, space, and place
- Site, space, and place
- Technology, Computing or Gaming
- Community and Pedagogy
- Music and Sound Design
- Architecture and Environment