Professor Samia Nefti-Meziani
Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Newton Building Room UG11
- T: +44 (0)161 295 4540
- E: email@example.com
- SEEK: Research profile
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
I have extensive leadership experience as Head of the Autonomous Systems & Advanced Robotics research centre and former Director of the doctoral school of the 6* IRIS Research Institute (2005-08). I was responsible for 130 doctoral students and all postgraduate research provision across different departments. I nurtured a strong research culture and environment, which received the highest award for research environment (4*) in the 2008 (RAE). I have successfully supervised and graduated more than 20 PhD students and have extensive experience running very successful industrial sponsored robotics PG programmes at national and international level.
My research interests concern the development of cognitive models for robotics/agents. I have published and edited extensively in the above areas which appeared in leading academic journals and books. I have attracted more than £3.5M funding in the last three years. I am the Vice Chairman of IEEE Robotics and Automation UK & RI. I am an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems. Chartered Member of BCS, Member of advisory board of the National EPSRC centre in Innovative Manufacturing for Intelligent Automation.
At different levels:
Level 1, Mathematics and engineering methodologies, Data Communication;
Level 2, System Analysis, Knowledge Management;
Level 3, Neuro-Fuzzy Computing, Data Mining;
Level M, Mobile Robotics , Computational Intelligence , Artificial intelligence.
Cognitive robotics, Cognitive multi-agents systems, Intelligent Systems for Transportation, Cognitive models for healthcare technologies and intelligent automation.
Qualifications and Memberships
- Ingenieur d’Etat (MEng) in Control and Industrial informatics
- MSC (DEA) in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, University of Paris XII, France. Awarded (ATER). Academic fellowship from the French Government for four years.
- Doctorate (Doctorat) in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics,
- Vice chairman of the IEEE Robotics and Automation UK and Republic of Ireland chapter,
- Chartered Member of British Computing society
- Member of the advisory board of the National UK EPSRC’s centre in innovative manufacturing for intelligent automation
- The lead academic in robotics for the UK aerospace companies on the ASCEE programme
- Member, Autonomous Systems Expert Group, North-West Science Council, since 2007.
- Invited in 2009 to join the core Group of the prestigious Shangh’AI consortium in artificial intelligence and Robotics https://cast.switch.ch/vod/clips/1vxh2ndrz7
- Member of European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems.
- Organized and chaired a European workshops CogSys’08 in Munich, June 2008.
- Associate Editor of ICRA
- Associate Editor of IROS
- Member of the prestigious IEEE Technical Committee on Fuzzy Systems,
- Organizer and the chair the first UK Conference on Cognitive Robotics and Learning October 2011 http://ieee-ukri.org/
- Programme chair and organizer of an international conference DC Paris in June 2007 (www.nldb.org)
- Member of an advisory editorial board of Bentham Science Publishers which is a leading international publisher of high quality scientific journals and books (see http://www.bentham.org/cseng/EBM.htm).
- Chairing a session in IEEE International Conference on E-Commerce Technology, ‘Fuzzy Trust Model for E-Commerce’, Munich, Germany .on 12 July 2005, in July 2005.
- Chairing two sessions on “Fuzzy application” in IEEE International Conference on SMC, in September 2002 and moIs this meant to say something else too?
- Chairing a session in UKACC’2008.
- Member of the IPC IROS’2011 and ICRA 2011
- Member of the IPC IFSA’2009, 2010 / EUSFLAT’2009,2010
- Member of the ITC of IEEE IJCNN 2008, 2009,2010
- Member of the ITC FUZZ-IEEE 2008, 2009,2010
- Member of the ITC IEEE CEC 2008,2009,2010
- International Conference on Control (UKACC) 2008
- Member of IPC of the twelfth ICANL I( - To Date 2007 Paris,France).
- Member of the IPC of the 4th International Conference on Innovation in Information Technology, Dubai November 18-20 2007, Computing and Information Systems.
- Member of the IPC of the 2004 International Conference on Algorithmic Mathematics and Computer Science (AMCS’04), IC-AI AAS, IKE, METMBS, AMCS
Books and Chapters in books
- S.Nefti: “Cognitive computing in Multi-Agent Systems framework”, in preparation with IET.
- S.Nefti and J.G.John, “Advanced in Cognitive Systems” (Editors), IET publisher, May 2010.
- S.Nefti-Meziani “Translation of the Arabic version of the prestigious book “How the Body Shapes the Way we think from Rolf Pfeifer & Josh Bongard”, June 2011.
- Nefti-Meziani, S, A.Al-Dulaimy, May.Bunny & J.Gray 2010 “Decision making under risk in swarm intelligence techniques”, in Advances in Cognitive Systems, IET, London, UK, pp.397-413.
- Nefti-Meziani, S & M.oussallah & U Kaymak 2007, “Clustering fuzzy Data using Inclusion Concept”, in: - Book Titile "Advances in Fuzzy Clustering", de Oliveira and W. Pedrycz (Editors) in ,John Wiley & Sons.
- F. Meziane and S. Nefti (2008), “Evaluating E-commerce Trust Using Fuzzy Logic”, in Wen-Chen Hu (Editor), Selected Readings on Electronic Commerce Technologies Contemporary Applications, pp.272-285, IGI Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60566-096-7.
- F. Meziane and S. Nefti (2008), “A Decision Support System for Trust Formalisation”, in Distributed Artificial Intelligence, Agent Technology and Collaborative Applications, pp.47-64, IGI Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60566-144-5.
- William Hinojosa, Samia Nefti-Meziani & Uzay Kaymak (2011), “Systems Control with Generalised Probabilistic Fuzzy Reinforcement Learning”, IEEE Transaction on Fuzzy Systems. IEEE transactions on fuzzy systems, 19(1), 51-64. [5-Year Impact Factor:4.65, Ranking Fact: 5 in Computer Science Journals).
- U.Manzoor, U.Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2010) “An Efficient System for Video Stabilization by Differentiating between Intentional and Un-Intentional Jitters”in International Journal of Knowledge Society Research Learning (IJKSR).
- Samia Nefti, Umar Manzoor and Awatef AL Azemi (2012), “Building a bilingual Bio-ontology Platform for Knowledge Discovery”. To appear in International Journal of Innovative Computing Information and Control. [Impact Factor 2.932. Ranking Fact: 11 in CS and AI categories]
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2012). “iDetect: Content Based Monitoring for Complex Network using Mobile Agents” in Elsevier – Applied Soft Computing [Impact Factor 2.4]
- Manzoor, U & Nefti-Meziani, S & Atique, S & Atique, A 2012, 'V-NIP Ceaser: Video Stabilization System', Communications in Computer and Information Science.
- Samia Nefti-Meziani, Umar Manzoor (2011) “Ambient Assisted Living using reinforcement learning concept for Monitoring Patients with dementia” in
- S.Nefti, M.oussallah and U Kaymak (2008) “A New Merging Technique using Inclusion Based Fuzzy Clustering” IEEE Transaction on Fuzzy system, 16(1), 145-161. 5-Year Impact Factor:4..6, (Rank Fact: 5).
- M.Oussalah, S.Nefti and A. Eltigani (2008) “Personalized Information Retrieval system in the Framework of Fuzzy Logic”. Expert systems with applications, Elsevier, Volume 35, Issues 1-2. [5-Year Impact Factor 3.162, Ranking Fact: 14 in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Journals]
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2011)“Smart Intelligent Fault Tolerant Framework for Business Applications – SIFTFBA” to appear in special issue of International Journal of Technology Management (IJTM), 2011.
- Manzoor, U & Nefti-Meziani, S & Atique, A & Atique (2012), 'V-NIP Ceaser: Video Stabilization System', Communications in Computer and Information Science, LNCS, Springer ISSN: 1865-0929.
- Umar Manzoor, and Samia Nefti (2011) “Autonomous Agents: Smart Network Installer and Tester (SNIT)” Expert System with Application, Vol. 38, Issue 1, Pages 884-893. [5-Year Impact Factor 3.162, Ranking Fact: 15 in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Journals].
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti, Yacine Rezgui (2011) “Categorization of Malicious Behaviours using Cognitive Agents - CMBCA” in Elsevier – Data and Knowledge Engineering. [Impact Factor 1.745]
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2011) “HERMIT: A new Methodology for Creating Autonomous Software Deployment Packages” accepted for publication in International Journal of Innovative Computing Information and Control. [Impact Factor 2.932. Ranking Fact: 11 in CS and AI categories]
- Umar Manzoor, and Samia Nefti, (2010)“QUIET: A Methodology for Autonomous Software Deployment using Mobile Agents”, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 33, Issue 6, Pages 696-706,
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2010) “Smart delivery: a cooperative multi-agent framework for optimised delivery service” International Journal of Knowledge and Learning (IJKL), Vol. 6, Issue 2/3, Pages 240-255.
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2009)“Distributed Cognitive Mobile Agent Framework for Social Cooperation: Application for Packet Moving” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, springer, Vol. 5736, Pages 584-593.
- Umar Manzoor and Samia Nefti (2009) “An agent based system for activity monitoring on network – ABSAMN”. Expert Systems with Applications (2009), Vol. 36, Issue 8. [5-Year Impact Factor 3.162, Ranking Fact: 14 in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Journals]
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2009)“Silent Intelligent Autonomous Network Installer – SIANI” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, springer, Vol. 5736, Pages 543-552.
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2009). “Cognitive Agent for Automated Software Installation” Volume 5736/2009,pp 543-552.
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti, Haris Hasan, Majid Mehmood, Bassam Aslam and Osama Shaukat (2008). “A Multi-Agent Model for Mine Detection – MAMMD” Springer, pp 139-148, Vol 38.
- S.Nefti and M.Oussalah (2008) “On the use of divergence distance in fuzzy clustering”. Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making, Springer.Vol7. Number2,pp 147-167.[Ranking Fact: 17 in C S Journals).
- Samia Nefti, Mourad Oussalah, Yacine Rezgui (2009): A Modified Fuzzy Clustering for Documents Retrieval: Application to Document Categorization. JORS 60(3): 384-394
- F.Meziane, S.Nefti (2007). “Fuzzy information retrieval system for Ecommerce”. International Journal of Intelligent Information Technologies, 3(4):25-39.
- S.Nefti, M.Oussalah, K.Djouani and J.Pontnau (2001). "Intelligent Adaptive Mobile Robot Navigation", Journal of Intelligent and Robotics Systems, Volume 30: pp. 311-329,2001. Kluwer Academic Publishers, issue 4 ISSN 0921-0296 , April.
- S.Nefti, Y;Amirat, B;Lakehal (1995): “Fuzzy control of a cleaning mobile robot”, JAPA, Hermes Edition, Volume8, n°6, pp 797-811.
- (iv) Articles in refereed conference proceedings
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti, and Janita Irfan (2011) “Cognitive Agent based Intelligent Warning System to Monitor Patients Suffering from Dementia using Ambient Assisted Living” in the proceeding of World Congress on Internet Security (WorldCIS-11), London, UK.
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2011) “HERMIT: A new Methodology for Creating Autonomous Software Deployment Packages”.
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti, Yacine Rezgui: Autonomous Malicious Activity Inspector - AMAI. NLDB 2010: 204-215.
- Umar Manzoor, and Samia Nefti, (2010) “Cognitive Agent based Intelligent Warning System to Monitor Patients Suffering from Dementia using Ambient Assisted Living” accepted for publication in IEEE International Conference on Information Society.
- Umar Manzoor, and Samia Nefti (2010) “Autonomous Malicious Activity Inspector – AMAI” under review in International Conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems.
- Rosidah Sam and Samia Nefti, (2010) “Design and feasibility tests of multi-functional gripper for handling variable shape of food products”, IEEE International Conference on System, Man and Cybernetics, October 10-13, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Rosidah Sam amd Samia Nefti (2009) “A new design approach of robotic gripper for reducing cost of handling food products”, Cybernetics Intelligent Systems, IEEE International Conference on, 2009, Birmingham
- Umar Manzoor, Samia Nefti (2009) “Silent Unattended Installation / Un-Installation of Software’s on Network Using NDMAS – Network Deployment Using Multi-Agent System” in the proceeding of The Fourth European Conference on Intelligent Management System In Operations (IMSIO 2009), July , UK.
- El-Mabrouk, Samia Nefti (2009): “New deformable model for soft tissue modelling”, ICET 2009.
- El-Mabrouk, Samia Nefti(2009): “Neural Network modelling for cataract eye surgery Simulation”, Cybernetics Intelligent Systems 2009, IEEE International Conference on, Birmingham, UK.
- S.Nefti: Irrational Particle swarm optimasation. 3rd December 2009. https://cast.switch.ch/vod/clips/1vxh2ndrz7
- S. Barresi, S. Nefti, Y. Rezgui (2008), “A Concept Based Indexing Approach for Document Clustering”, ICSC, pp. 26-33, IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing, pp 26-33.
- Rosidah Sam and Samia Nefti (2008), “Design and development of flexible robotics gripper for handling food products”, Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision ICARCV, International Conference on, Hanoi, 1684-1689, Vietnam
- N. Costa, S. Nefti, D. Caldwell (2008)“Autonomy and Independence Amongst Patients with Cognitive Impairments”, IET Assisted Living in Conference Proceedings, London UK,2008.
- N.Costa, S. Nefti, Darwin G.Caldwell (2008), Powered Lower Limb Orthosis for Human Assistance and Neurorehabilitation, CLAWAR Coimbra, Portugal, 8-10 Sept, 2008.
- W. Hinojosa and S.Nefti (2008)"Reinforcement Learning for Probabilistic Fuzzy Controllers", UKACC Control ,3-6.
- Umar Manzoor, and Samia Nefti, (2008) “Silent Unattended Installation Package Manager – SUIPM” in the proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control and Automation (CIMCA), Vienna, Austria, 10-12 December.
- Umar Manzoor, and Samia Nefti, (2008) “Agent Based Activity Monitoring System – ABAMS” in the proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI 2008), pp 200-203, Dayton, USA, 3-5 November.
- S.Baresi, S.Nefti, Y.Rezgui (2007): “A New Conceptual Approach to Document Indexing”, Eight International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics, (CICLing 2007), IEEE CS Press.
- Y.Rezgui, S.Nefti (2007): “Semantic Mapping using fuzzy framework”. ICIS, Madeira Island, Portugal, 12-17 June.
- Yacine Rezgui, Samia Nefti (2007): Ontology-Based Dynamic Service Composition Using Semantic Relatedness and Categorization Techniques. ICEIS (4) : 113-120
- S.Nefti, F.Meziane and M.K. Kasiran (2005) “A Fuzzy Trust Model for E-Commerce”. IEEE International Conference on E-Commerce Technology Munich, Germany.12 July.
- S.Nefti, M.Oussalah (2004), “Probabilistic-Fuzzy Clustering Algorithm”, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 3915-3920.
- S.Nefti, M.Oussalah (2004), “A Neural Network approach for Railway Safety Prediction”, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, October,10-13, Volume: 4, pp 3915- 3920, vol.4 ISSN: 1062-922X 6-9.
- S.Nefti, K.Djouani (2003). “Extended Fuzzy clustering based on inclusion concept” .IEEE conference on Fuzzy System USA, volume: 2, pp 869- 874, ISBN: 0-7803-7810-5Mai 25-28.
- S.Nefti, K.Djouani (2002) “Fuzzy Modelling of MIMO Non Linear System: Complexity Reduction”. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, October, Volume: 2, pp185- 189, ISSN: 1062-922X 6-9.
- S.Nefti.(2002). “New algorithm for simplification of rule base generated by automated fuzzy modelling”. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics October,6-9, Volume: 2,pp 190- 195, ISSN: 1062-922X.
- S.Nefti, K.Djouani (2002). “Transparency improvement of standard fuzzy systems in case of application for control nonlinear system”, IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics October, Volume: 1,pp 332- 337, ISSN: 1062-922X, 6-9.
- S.Nefti, K.Djouani (2002) “Neuro-Fuzzy Learning Approach for Real Time Mobile Robot Navigation”. The 2002 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IC-AI'02: USA, June 24-27).
- S.Nefti, K.Djouani (2002) “Neuro-Fuzzy systems for a 6 DOF Parallel Robot Force Control”. The 2002 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IC-AI'02: , USA, June 24-27.).
- M.Beer, S.Green, S. Nefti, A. Sixsmith and J.Whatley (2000) “Education for Health Care Professionals through the Medium of the Internet”, IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Learning Technologies (IWALT 2000), 4-6 December, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- K. Djouani, S.Nefti, Y.Amirat and G. Fried (1998 )“Neuro-Fuzzy Approach for Non-Linear System Identification and Control”, In the proceeding of the ISATA Conference, June 3-5, Dusseldorf, Germany.
- S.Nefti, K. Djouani, Y.Amirat and G. Fried (1998): “Neuro-Fuzzy Adaptive System for Mobile robot Navigation in unknown environment”, In the proceeding of the ISATA Conference, June 3-5, Germany.
- S.Nefti, J.Pontnau, M.Soufian (1998): “Training and adaption of a Neuro-Fuzzy System for Navigation an Unknown Environment”. In the Proceeding Recent Advance in Soft Computing, Leicester UK, 02, July.
- S.Nefti, K.Djouani, J.Pontnau and M.Soufian (1998): “Practical Adaptive Navigation and Control of Mobile Robot Using Neuro-Fuzzy Systems”. In International Federation in Automatic Control (IFAC) Proceedings August, pp.64-69, Holland.
- S.Nefti, M.Oussalah, K.Djouani and J.Pontnau (1998). "Clustering and Adaptive Robot Navigation in an Unknown Environment", INES 98- IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Systems, Vienna, Austria, pp 1998-2005, September.
- S..Nefti, K.Djouani and J.Pontnau (1998) "Neuro-Fuzzy Adaptive System for the Navigation of Mobile Robot ". EUFIT 98: The Sixth European Congress on Intelligent Techniques and Soft Computing, Germany, Volume 2, pp 798-805, September 7-10.
- S.Nefti, K.Djouani and J.Pontnau (1998) "Neuro-Fuzzy Adaptive System To Generate Fuzzy Behaviour for Autonomous Mobile Robot". Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Information Processing Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-based System (IPMU),pp1423-1429,,ISBN2-1 July 5-4, France.
- S.Nefti, K.Djouani, Y. Amirat and J.Pontnau (1997): “Neuro-Fuzzy Approach for an Autonomous Mobile Robot”, in the Proceeding of IFAC’97, Annecy, France on June 9-11.
- S. Nefti, Y.Amirat, B.Lakehal and J.Pontnau (1995) ”Fuzzy Control of a cleaning Mobile Robot”. The Third European Congress on Intelligent Techniques and Soft Computing, Aachen, Germany, August 28-31, pp. 897-.
- S.Nefti (1999): “Neuro-Fuzzy Approach for Modelling and Control of MIMO Non-Linear Systems: Application to Robotics”, PhD Thesis, Paris XII University, France.
- S.Nefti (1995):“Sensory information fusion for mobile robot control”. MSc Thesis, July, Paris XII, France.