Dr Saad Yousif
Senior Lecturer in Transport Studies, MSc Transport Engineering and Planning Programme Leader
- Newton Building Room LG14
- T: +44 (0)161 295 3835
- E: email@example.com
- SEEK: Research profile
"Please contact me via email for an appointment"
I graduated from Baghdad University with a BSc (Hons) in Civil Engineering followed by an MSc in Transportation Engineering. I worked mainly on major highway projects in Iraq before obtaining a PhD in Traffic Engineering from the University of Wales, Cardiff. Currently, I am Senior Lecturer in Transport Studies and Civil Engineering Programme Leader at the University of Salford, UK.
Contributions to the following modules:
Level 5 Highway Analysis & Design/Highway Standards and Applications
Level 6 Integrated Group Design/Final Year Projects
Level 7 Transport Engineering: Principles and Methodologies/ Traffic Engineering: Analysis and Road Safety/Transport Infrastructure/MSc Transport dissertations.
Main research interest is in developing and using micro-simulation traffic models to evaluate the effect of delays and capacity reductions for motorway and urban roadworks (using shuttle lane operations), motorway interchanges (merging, diverging and weaving behaviour).
Current PhD supervisions: Mohammed Alterawi (Shuttle lane operations at roadworks) (started 2011; supervisor) as well as co-supervision for other PhD candidates).
- Purnawan (On-street parking, 2005)
- Jonathan Rains (Modeling roof drainage outlets, 2008)
- Jalal al-Obaedi (Ramp metering, 2012)
- Hamid Al-Jameel: (Weaving sections, 2012)
Qualifications and Memberships
- PhD in Transportation Engineering/Traffic, University of Wales, Cardiff.
- MSc in Transportation Engineering, University of Baghdad.
- BSc(Hon) in Civil Engineering, University of Baghdad.
- Member of the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (MCIHT)
- Yousif, S., Alterawi, M. and Henson, R. R. (2013) The Effect of Road Narrowing on Junction Capacity Using Micro-simulation, Journal of Transportation Engineering (accepted for publication for the June 2013 issue)
- Yousif, S., Al-Obaedi, J. and Henson, R. R. (2013) Drivers' Lane Utilization for UK Motorways, Journal of Transportation Engineering (accepted for publication for the May 2013 issue)
- Wang, J., Tomor, A.K., Melbourne, C. and Yousif, S. (2013) Critical Review of Research on High-cycle Fatigue Behavior of Brick Masonry, Journal of Construction and Building Materials 38, pp. 602-609.
- Al-Obaedi, J. and Yousif, S. (2011) Microsimulation Model for Motorway Merges with Ramp-metering Controls, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 13, No. 1, Marc, 2012, pp.269-306.
- Yousif, S. and Al-Obaedi, J. (2011) Modeling Factors Influencing the Capacity of Motorway Merge Sections Controlled by Ramp Metering, 6th International Symposium on Highway Capacity and Quality of Service, Stockholm, Sweden June 28- July 1, 2011, Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences 16 (2011) 172–183
- Al-Obaedi, J. and Yousif, S. (2010) Testing Visual Angle Car Following Models Using Different Sets of Data. Paper presented at the 42nd UTSG Conference, January 2010, University of Plymouth.
- Yousif, S. (2009) Partial elliptical Two-regime Speed-flow Traffic Model Based on the Highway Capacity Manual, Paper presented and published in the proceedings of the 9th IPRC in the Built and Human Environment, January 2009, Salford, Manchester.
- Al-Obaedi, J. and Yousif, S. (2009) The Use of Visual Angle in Car Following Traffic Micro-simulation Models, Paper presented and published in the proceedings of the 9th IPRC in the Built and Human Environment, January 2009, Salford, Manchester.
- Al-Obaedi, J. and Yousif, S. (2009) Examining the Limitations for Visual Angle-car Following Models. Paper presented at the 41st UTSG Conference, January 2009, UCL, London.
- Yousif, S. (2008) Book Reviews: Transport Communications – Understanding Global Networks; Enabling Transport Services, by J. Tiffin and C. Kissling, Journal of Transport Geography Vol 16, Issue 2, 151-152, Elsevier (ISSN 0966-6923)
- Yousif, S. and Razouki, S.S. (2007) Validation of a Mathematical Model to Estimate Turning Movements at Roundabouts Using Field Data, Paper presented at the 39th UTSG Conference, January 2007, ITS Leeds
- Yousif, S. and Purnawan (2004) Traffic Operations at On-street Parking Facilities, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers –Transport 157, August 2004, Issue TR3, pp. 189-194 (ISSN 0965 092X).
- Henson, R.R. and Yousif, S. (2002) A Summary of Freight Issues Raised in Selected Multi-Modal and Roads-based Studies with Reference to the North West of England. Unpublished paper for the North West Regional Assembly, October 2002.
- Scholefield, G.P., Henson R.R. and Yousif, S.(2002) Some Thoughts on Demand Management for Travel in Urban Areas, Unpublished paper for North West Regional Assembly, July 2002
- Yousif, S. (2002) Motorway Roadworks: Effects on Traffic Operations. Journal of Highways and Transportation, Vol. 49, No. 4, April 2002. (ISSN 0265 - 6868)
- Purnawan and Yousif, S. (2000) Comparison of Accepted Gaps for Different On-street Parking Designs. 5th ISSM Conference, October 6-7, 2000, Paris, France (ISSN:0855-8692)
- Yousif, S. and Purnawan (1999) On-street Parking: Effects on Traffic Congestion. Traffic Engineering + Control, Vol. 41, No. 9, September. (ISSN:0041-0683)
- Purnawan and Yousif, S. (1999) On-street Parking Manoeuvres and Their Effects on Design. 4th ISSM Conference, October 8-9, 1999, Kassel, Germany (ISSN:0855-8692)
- Samoail, N.A. and Yousif, S. (1998) A Study into Urban Roadworks with Shuttle-Lane Operation. 3rd International Conference on Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) in Transport Planning and Control, April 1998, Cardiff. (ISBN:0-08-043430-4)
- Samoail, N.A. and Yousif, S. (1998) Safety at Shuttle-Lane Operations in Urban Roadworks. SORIC’98 Safety on Roads an International Conference, October 1998, Bahrain.
- Lyons, G., Hunt, J.G. and Yousif, S. (1998) Neural Networks in Transport Applications, Chapter 11: Factors Influencing the Performance of a Neural Network Driver Decision Model - A Case Study Using Simulated Data. Book edited by Himanen, V. et al., Ashgate Publishing Co., Aldershot, UK. (ISBN:1-84014-808-X)
- Yousif, S. (1997) Development of Traffic Simulation Model of Drivers Lane Changing Behaviour at Roadworks. 2nd LAAS International Conference on Computer Simulation, Beirut, Lebanon.
- Yousif, S. (1997) Drivers’ Close Following Behaviour on Rural Highways. International Conference on Rehabilitation and Development of Civil Engineering Infrastructure Systems, American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
- Yousif, S. and Hunt, J. (1996) Traffic Controls at Motorway Roadworks. Proceedings of the 1st Conference of Hong Kong Society for Transportation Studies, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong.
- Yousif, S. and Hunt, J. (1995) Modelling Lane Utilisation on British Dual-carriageway Roads: Effects on Lane-Changing. Traffic Engineering + Control, Vol. 36, No. 12, December. (ISSN:0041-0683)
- Hunt, J. and Yousif, S. (1994) Traffic Capacity at Motorway Roadworks - Effects of Layout, Incidents, and Driver Behaviour. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Highway Capacity, Sydney, Australia. (ISSN:0-869106406)
- Hunt, J. and Yousif, S. (1993) Speed Restrictions at Motorway Roadworks - Effects on Delay and Capacity. Proceedings of the 21st PTRC European, Transport, Highways and Planning Summer Annual Meeting, Manchester, UK. (ISBN:0-86050-235-8)
- Yousif, S. (1993) Effect of Lane Changing on Traffic Operation for Dual Carriageway Roads with Roadworks. PhD. Thesis, University of Wales, Cardiff.
- Hunt, J. and Yousif, S. (1992) The Effects of Incidents at Motorway Roadworks on Traffic Throughput. Proceedings of the 20th PTRC European, Transport, Highways and Planning Summer Annual Meeting, Manchester, UK. (ISBN:0-86050-247-3)
- Hunt, J. and Yousif, S. (1992) Traffic Behaviour at Diverges on Dual Carriageways. Proceedings of the IMA Conference on Mathematics in Transport Planning and Control, New Series No. 38, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK. (ISBN:0-0-19-853650-X)
- Hunt, J., Griffiths, J., Moses, T. and Yousif, S. (1991) A Study of Traffic Capacity Through the Various Features of Motorway Roadworks. Transport and Road Research Laboratory, Contractor Report 283, Crowthorne, UK. (ISSN 0266-7045)
- Hunt, J. and Yousif, S. (1990) Merging Behaviour at Roadworks on Dual Carriageway Roads. Proceedings of the 18th PTRC European, Transport, Highways and Planning Summer Annual Meeting, Brighton, UK. (ISBN:0-86050-220-1)