Dr Martin Burby
- Newton Building Room G75
- T: +44 (0)161 295 4773/ 3344
- E: email@example.com
- SEEK: Research profile
I am a lecturer in the Petroleum and Gas Engineering Division and am programme leader for the Industrial and Commercial Combustion Engineering and Gas Engineering and Management programmes. I am also the Associate Head of the Spray Research Group. I graduated from the University of Salford with a BEng in Aeronautical Engineering and obtained an Engineering Doctorate from the University of Manchester. I have spent time both in industry and academia in the fields of combustion, spray research and new product development.
- Industrial and Commercial Combustion Engineering
- Gas Engineering and Management
My main areas of research cover both experimental and computational analysis in the fields of: combustion technology, the industrial and commercial application of sprays for; cleaning, propulsion, agriculture, aerosol design, decontamination and coating.
Qualifications and Memberships
- BEng (Hons) Aeronautical Engineering
- EngD (Engineering Doctorate)
- PgDip (Management Science)
- PgCert (Higher Education and Practice)
- Commercial Pilots Licence, CPL (A), Instrument rating (MEP)
- Airline Transport Pilots Licence exams (CAA) frozen
- CEng (Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Burby, M.L and Nasr, G.G, Yule, A.J and Hughes, T., The design of emergency shower heads to comply with the proposed EU standard, ILASS, Mulga, Turkey, Sept. 10-12, 2007.
- Burby, M.L., Nasr, G.G, Yule, A. J and Wheatley, A., Using PDA data to validate the CFD models of three airblast atomizer designs, ILASS, Mulga, Turkey, Sept. 10-12, 2007.
- Burby, M.L and Nasr, G.G., Descaling of wellhead production tubing using high pressure water atomizers, ILASS, Mulga, Turkey, Sept. 10-12, 2007.
- Nasr, G.G., Lloyd, S.E.C., Yule, A.J and Burby, M.L., The characterisation of the spray from a new and novel design of spill return swirl atomiser, ILASS, Mulga, Turkey, Sept. 10-12, 2007.
- Nasr, G. G., Burby, M., Yule, A, J and Hughes, T., Assessment of emergency safety showers against proposed EU and ANSI standards, The International Journal of Multiphysics, Vol 2, No. 2, 2008.
- Nasr, G.G, Yule AJ, Burby M, Zekria M, Clarke J and Woodall D, Understanding the cleaning performance of high pressure sprays at long stand-off distances, 25th ILASS-Europe, Italy, 2008.
- El Kamiki, M., Nasr, G.G., Burby, M.L and Onyukwu, E., The characterisation of overlapping flat sprays for descaling oil and gas wells, ICLASS Colorado 2009.
- Nasr, G.G., Stewart J.A. and Burby M., Spray characterization of glycerine water mixture using spill-return atomizer (SRA), Triennial International Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, Vail, Colorado USA, July 2009.
- Nagib M, Ezuka I, Burby M and Nasr GG, Simultaneous production of oil and gas reserves from single wellbore, 2010 SPE production and operations conference, Tunisia, June 2010 and SPE production & operations Journal, June 2011, SPE # 101195.
- Nasr, G.G. and Burby M., Spray characterization of flat overlapping sprays, ILASS2010, Brno, Czech Republic, Sept 2010.
- Stewart J.A and Nasr G.G and Burby, M., PDA measurement using spill-return atomizer, ILASS 2010, Brno, Czech Republic, Sept 2010.
- Stewart, J., Nasr, G. G and M. Burby, Fine spray behaviour upon impaction of varied material surfaces, ILASS-America, Cincinnati, Ohi, USA, May 2010.
- Burby, M., Nasr, G.G, Nourian, A and J.A. Stewart, Effect of swirl chamber on uniform spray coating of surfaces using spill-return atomiser (SRA), ILASS- America 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomisation and Spray Systems, Ventura, CA, May 2011.
- Burby, M., Nasr, G.G., Hughes, T, and Scholes, N., The wash-off performance of emergency safety shower designs, ILASS- America 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomisation and Spray Systems, Ventura, CA, May 2011.
- Nagib M, Solumon I, Burby M and Nasr GG, Modelling of a down hole pulsating device, Middle East Oil and Gas shows, Manama, Bahrain Kingdom, SPE # 101195, 2011.
- Burby, M., Nasr, G.G and Nagib, M., Fine sprays for coating and decontamination in the healthcare environment, ILASS 2011, Estoril, Portugal, 2011.
- Alani, O., Burby, M., Durie, F., Hall, N., Lin, Yu-Wei., Kamerade, D., Newberry, S and Talbot., Opportunities and limitations of technology for assessment: evidence from practice at the university of Salford, Education in a Changing Environment, 6th International Conference, Creativity & Engagement in Higher Education, Salford, 2011.
- Chimagwu, G., Nasr, G.G and Burby, M., Characterisation of overlapping flat fan sprays for petroleum applications, ILASS-America, 24th Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, 2012.
- Burby, M., Nasr, G.G., Nourian, A and Stewart, J.A., Spray Coating in health environments, ILASS-America, 24th Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, 2012.
- Nourian, A., El Kamiki and Burby, M., Removal of scale in petroleum production tubing utilising high pressure atomisers, ICLASS, 12th International Conference, Heidelberg, 2012.
- Burby, M., Ghasem, G, N., Yule, A, J and Hughes, T., Assessment of Emergency Safety Showers against Proposed EU and ANSI standards, The International Journal of Multiphysics, Vol 2, No. 2, 2008.
- Burby, M., Nasr G.G., Yule, A. J and Morgan, L., Using PDA to validate the CFD of novel airblast atomizer designs, Atomization and Sprays Journal, Vol. 20, No. 7, p565, 2010.
- Nasr G.G., Giri S., Burby M.L and Yule A.J., Opportunities for step change technology in vessel cleaning, Phase-I, Unilever R&D, Port Sunlight, Confidential SCGN-900, NOV. 2006.
- Nasr G.G., Burby M., Ultrasoinc device and fine spray, Confidential HSS Ltd, Oct. 2007.
- Burby M., Nasr G.G. and Wheatley A., Suitability of natural gas in aero combustion chamber, Confidential SM0012, June 2007.
- Nasr G.G., Burby M.L. and Connor N., Pressure drop measurements, Uponor Ltd, Confidential, SGCN0282, March 2008.
- Burby M, Yule A.J., Nasr GG, CFD modelling in spray painting and coating, Confidential, ICI, Sept. 2008.
- Nasr G.G., Burby M.L., Carbon Monoxide (CO) emission control in the mobile home, Hymerhome UK, Confidential, SGCC0377, April 2010.
- Nasr G.G., Burby M.L., Stewart J.A., Eco-Welding, Confidential, WilkinsonStar Ltd, UoS, SRG, SGCC054, Phase-I, June 2010.
- 114. Nasr G.G., Burby M.L., Norian A., Eco-Welding, Confidential, WilkinsonStar Ltd, UoS, SRG, SGCC054, Phase-II, Jan 2011.
- 115. Nasr G.G., Burby M.L., Norian A., Eco-Welding, Confidential, WilkinsonStar Ltd, UoS, SRG, SGCC054, Phase-III, Final Executive Report, June 2011.
- 116. Godpower E., Asyel Y., Burby M., Nasr G.G., Characterisation of Agricultural Atomisers, Confidential, SRG and University of Bayer (Turkey), SRGB292011, Sept. 2011.
PCT Patents Granted
- Nasr G.G., Burby M.L and Yule A.J., Meter dose spray (09-11).
- Nasr G.G., Burby and Yule A.J., Aerosol spray using compressed gas (10-11).
- Nasr G.G., Burby and Yule A.J., Aerosol spray (10-11).
- Nasr G.G., Burby and Yule A.J., Aerosol spray with no loss valve using compressed gas (10-11).
- Nasr G.G., Burby and Yule A.J, Superslim aerosol valve using compressed gas (09-11).
- Nasr, G.G, Burby, M and Nourian, A., Welding torch, 2012, PM330362GB.