Professor Farid Meziane
Associate Head of School International • Head Data Mining and Pattern Recognition Research Centre
- Newton Building Room 215
- T: +44 (0)161 295 3699
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/farid-meziane/4/53b/a76
- SEEK: Research profile
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
I am a Professor in Data and Knowledge Engineering. I hold a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Salford and I am the Head of the Data Mining and Pattern Recognition Research Centre and the Associate Head of School (International).
I am the Chair of the 18th International Conference on Application of Natural Language to Information Systems (NLDB2013) and have served on the programme committees of over 20 conferences. I am on the editorial board of 5 international journals.
I have been involved with the teaching of the following modules:
- Research Methods
- Formal development of Software Systems
- Software Engineering
- Object-Oriented Software Engineering
- Data Structures
- Declarative programming with prolog
My research interests are in the broad area of data and knowledge engineering. This includes data mining, information extraction and retrieval, Big data and the semantic web. I am also interested in Natural language processing and requirements engineering.
Qualifications and Memberships
- J. Sadek, F. Chakkour and F. Meziane (2012), Arabic Rhetorical Relations Extraction for Answering "Why" and "How to" Questions, in G. Bouma, A. Ittoo, E. Metais, and H. Wortmann (eds.), Natural Language Processing and Information Systems, 17th International Conference on Applications of Natural Language to Information Systems, NLDB 2012, Groningen, The Netherlands, June 2012, Proceedings, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, volume 7337, Springer, Berlin, pp. 378-383
- Wan Nurhayati Wan Ab. Rahman and Farid Meziane (2011), A Generic QoS Model for Web Services Design, International Journal of Information Technology and Web Engineering, 6(3): 15-38
- Wan Nurhayati Wan AB. Rahman and Farid Meziane (2010), The Specifications of a Generic Qos Metamodel for Designing and Developing Good Quality Web Services, Proceedings of the Annual International Conference on Data Analysis, Data Quality & Metadata Management, 12 – 13 July 2010, Mandarin Orchard, Singapore, ISBN: 978-981-08-6308-1, pp 9-18.
- F. Meziane and S. Vadera (2009), AI in Software Engineering: Current Developments and Future Prospects, In F. Meziane and S. Vadera (Editors), Artificial Intelligence Applications for Improved Software Engineering Development: New Prospects, IGI publishing, pp.273-294. ISBN: 978-1-60566-758-4
- V. Sugumaran and F. Meziane (2009), An Architecture to Support Web-based Information Extraction Using Domain Ontologies, Proceedings of the8th workshop on EBusiness (WEB2009), 15 December, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- F. Meziane, MK Kasiran and P. Prince (2009), A system to support the identification and extraction of information related to privacy policies in electronic commerce websites, in: The Fourth European Conference on Intelligent Management systems in Operations, 7-8 July 2009, Salford, UK.
- A. Elsebai, F. Meziane and F.Z. Belkredim (2009), A Rule Based Persons Names Arabic Extraction System, Proceedings of the 11th International Business Information Management Association Conference (IBIMA 2009), Special Track on Arabic Information Processing, pp. 1205-1211, Cairo, Egypt 4-6 January 2009. ISBN 978-0-9821489-0-7.
- F. Meziane and S. Vadera (Editors) (2009), Artificial Intelligence Applications for Improved Software Engineering Development: New Prospects, IGI publishing. ISBN: 978-1-60566-758-4.
- F. Meziane, N. Athanasakis and S. Ananiadou (2008), Generating Natural Language Specifications from UML Class Diagrams, Requirements Engineering Journal, 13(1):1-18.
- A. Elsebai, F. Meziane (2008), Extracting Persons Names from Arabic Newspaper, Proceedings of the 5th international conference on Innovations in Information Technology, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 16-18 December 2008.
- F. Meziane and M.K. Kasiran (2008), Evaluating Trust in Electronic Commerce: A Study Based on the Information Provided on Merchants Websites, Journal of the Operational Research Society, (59):464-472.
- W.N. Wan Ab. Rahman and F. Meziane F. (2008), Challenges to Describe QoS Requirements for Web Services Quality Prediction to Support Web Services Interoperability in Electronic Commerce. Proceedings of the 10th International Business Information Management Association Conference, session computer & network engineering, pp. 691-699, ISBN: 0-9753393-9-7.
- F.Z Belkredim and F. Meziane (2008), DEAR-ONTO: A DErivational ARabic Ontology Based on Verbs, International Journal of Computer Processing of Languages, 21(3):279-291.
- F. Meziane and S. Nefti (2008), Evaluating E-commerce Trust Using Fuzzy Logic, in Wen-Chen Hu (Editor), Selected Readings on Electronic Commerce Technologies Contemporary Applications, pp.272-285, IGI Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60566-096-7.
- F. Meziane and S. Nefti (2008), A Decision Support System for Trust Formalisation, in Vijayan Sugumaran (Editor), Distributed Artificial Intelligence, Agent Technology and Collaborative Applications, pp.47-64, IGI Publishing. ISBN 978-1-60566-144-5
- S. Barresi, Y. Rezgui, C. Lima, F. Meziane (2008), Semantic Resources Integration and Interoperability in the Construction Domain. in Y. Manolopoulos, J. Filipe, P. Constantopoulos and J. Cordeiro (Eds), Enterprise Information Systems, Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, Springer, Volume 3, pp 336-347, ISBN 978-3-540-77580-5
- F. Meziane and S.Nefti (2007), Evaluating E-Commerce Trust Using Fuzzy Logic, Journal of Intelligent Information Technology 3(4):25-39
- Z. Kedad, N. Lammari, E. Métais, F. Meziane and Y. Rezgui (Editors) (2007), Natural Language Processing and Information Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 4592, Springer., ISBN 0302 9743
- S. Barresi, Y. Rezgui, F. Meziane and C. Lima (2006), Methodology to support semantic resources integration in the construction sector, 8th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2006), Cyprus, pp. 94-101.
- F. Meziane and E. Métais (2006), Data and Knowledge Engineering Journal, Special Issue on Application of Natural Language to Information Systems, 58(1).
- M. K. Kasiran, F. Ahmad and F. Meziane (2006), The implementation of third party endorsement as knowledge repository agent for creating trust in Malaysian's electronic banking industries, IEEE International Conference on Computing and Informatics, June 6-8, 2006, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 1-5.
- W. Chaudhry and F. Meziane (2005), Information Extraction from Heterogeneous Sources Using Domain Ontologies, IEEE international conference on Emerging Technologies, Islamabad, Pakistan 17-18 September, pp. 511-516, 2005. (ISBN 0-7803-9247-7).
- E. Mit and Farid Meziane (2005), Rules for Generating VDM++ from UML Models, Proceedings of the International Computer Systems and Information Technology Conference (ICIST05), Algiers, Algeria .
- S. Nefti-Meziani, F. Meziane and M.K. Kasiran (2005), A Fuzzy Trust Model for E-Commerce, 7th International IEEE Conference on E-Commerce Technology, Munich, pp 401-404, Germany, July 2005, IEEE Press.
- F. Meziane and M.K. Kasiran (2005), Strategizing Consumer Logistic Requirements In Ecommerce Transactions: Evaluation of Current Implementations, Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Intelligent Management Systems in Operations, Salford, Manchester, UK, June 2005, pp.116-125, The O.R Society.
- Y. Rezgui, F. Meziane (2005), A Web Services Implementation of a User Centered Knowledge Management Platform, Journal of Intelligent Information Technology 1(4):1-19.
- S. Barresi, Y. Rezgui, C. Lima and F. Meziane (2005), Architecture to Support Semantic Resources Interoperability, ACM Workshop on Interoperability of Heterogeneous Information Systems (IHIS 2005), Bremen, Germany, pp. 79-82, ACM Press.
- A. A. Aziz and F. Meziane (2004), A decision support system for course design based on learning units, 7th International Conference on Work With Computing Systems (WWCS2004), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 676-680 (ISBN: 983-41742-0-9).
- F. Meziane and E. Métais (Editors) (2004), Natural Language and Information Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 3136, Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Application of Natural Language to Information Systems, Springer, 2004, ISBN 3-540-22564-
- M. S. Sulong and F. Meziane (2004), Information extraction from heterogeneous sources on the WWW, 7th International Conference on Work with Computing Systems (WWCS2004), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 541-546 (ISBN: 983-41742-0-9).
- F. Meziane and Y. Rezgui (2004), Methods for Maintaining Document Consistency, Information Sciences, Volume 158, pp. 15-36, January 2004.
- M. K. Kasiran and F. Meziane (2004), The Usage of Third Party Endorsement in Ecommerce Websites, 7th International Conference on Work with Computing Systems (WWCS2004), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 794-798, (ISBN: 983-41742-0-9).
- F. Meziane and S. Vadera (2004), Obtaining E-R Diagrams Semi-Automatically from Natural Language Specifications, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Porto, Portugal, pp 638-642.
- F. Meziane and S. Vadera (2004), A Comparison of Computer Science and Software Engineering Programmes in English Universities, Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training, (CSEE&T 2004), Norfolk, Virginia, USA. pp. 65-70.
- F. Meziane and J. Aliwa (2003), From COBOL to SQL Through Program Transformation and XML, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Information Technology in Asia, (CITA03), Sarawak, Malaysia, pp. 149-155.
- F. Meziane and M.K. Kasiran (2003), Extracting Unstructured Information From the WWW to Support Merchant Existence in E-Commerce, in Antje Dusterhoft and Bernhard Thalheim (Eds), Lecture Notes in Informatics, Natural Language Processing and Information Systems, pp.175-185, GI-Edition, Bonn 2003, Germany. . ISBN3-88579-358-X
- F. Meziane and Y. Rezgui (2002), A Method for Maintaining Document Consistency Based on Similarity Content, in Birger Andersson, Maria Bergholtz and Paul Johannesson (Eds), Natural Language Processing and Information Systems, LNCS 2552, pp. 85-96, Springer. ISBN 3-54000307-X
- M.K. Kasiran and F. Meziane (2002), An Information Framework for a Merchant Trust Agent in Electronic Commerce, In Hujan Yin, Nigel Allinson, Richard Freeman, John Keane and Simon Hubbard (Eds), Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning, LNCS 2412, pp 243-248, Springer. ISBN 3-540-44025-9
- S. Vadera, F. Meziane and M.L.L. Huang (2001), Experience with Mural in Formalising Dust-Expert, Information and Software Technology Journal, 43(4):231-240.
- N.K. Mimouni, F. Marir and F. Meziane (2000), An Intelligent Agent for Content-Based Indexing and Retrieval of Documents, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engineering Systems and Allied Technologies (KES'2000), Vol. 2, pp 831-835, Brighton UK.
- F. Meziane, S. Vadera, K. Kobbacy and N. Proudlov (2000), Intelligent Systems in Manufacturing: Current Development and Future Prospects, The Integrated Manufacturing Systems Journal, 11(4):218-238. (Awarded the Highly Commended Award from the Literati Club, 2001)
- F. Meziane, C. W. Onn, J. Labadin and R. Harris (1999), Towards a Framework for Developing Educational Software, Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Technology in Asia (CITS99), pp. 72-83, Kuching, Malaysia.
- S. Vadera and F. Meziane (1997), Tools for Producing Formal Specifications: a View of Current Architectures and Future Directions, Annals of Software Engineering, Volume 3, pp.273-290.
- F. Meziane and N. Kulathuramaiyer (1997), Technology-Based Approach for Managing Large Classes: A Case Study, Proceeding of the International Conference on Computers in Education, (ICCE97), pp. 563-572, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- F. Meziane and S. Vadera (1996), Towards Automatic Modeling of Requirements, Malaysian Journal of Computer Science, 9(2):1-13.
- F. Meziane and S. Vadera (1996), Invariant Definition for Formal Data Types, Proceedings of the National Conference on Research and Development in Computer Science and its Applications (REDEC96), pp. 64-68, UPM, Malaysia.
- S. Vadera and F. Meziane (1994), From English to Formal Specifications, the Computer Journal, 37(9): 753-763.