Dr Yu Wang
Lecturer in Civil Engineering
- Newton Building Room LG05
- T: +44 (0)161 295 6822
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SEEK: Research profile
“Please contact me via email for an appointment”
I have had a long standing academic background in computational fluid dynamics and numerical modelling of mass transfer in porous materials. I had varied research experiences in a wide range of areas covering civil, environmental, physical geographical, material and mechanical engineering applications and related fundamental sciences.
I did a BEng in Mechanical Engineering at Wuhan University of Technology in China, an MSc in Engineering Mechanics at Chonqing University in China, and a PhD in Civil Engineering at Aston University in the UK. Following my PhD, I had 7 years of post-doc research experience at the University of Bristol, Imperial College London and the University of Plymouth. I moved to Salford in 2007 when I was appointed as an RCUK Academic Fellow working in the area of engineering materials. I am now a lecturer in civil engineering.
Civil Engineering Application
Introduction to Structural Design with Computer Applications - Building Materials Durability
Further Design with Applications to Building Structures – Fire
Bridge Engineering – Durability/Sustainability
Capillarity of porous media
Fluid flow in porous media
Finite element methods, Smooth Particle Hydrodynamics
Unsaturated soils, Constructed wetlands, Concrete durability, composites manufacturing.
Qualifications and Memberships
BEng, MSc, PhD, MIMA, PGCAP, FHEA
- G. Wu, Y. Wang, G. Swift & J. Chen, 2013, Laboratory investigation of the effects of temperature on the mechanical properties of sandstone, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, accept.
- Y. Wang, X.Y. Wang, M. Scholz, D.K. Ross, 2012, Modelling of The Water Vapour Sorption Isotherm of Hardened Cementitious Materials, Construction and Building Materials, 35, 941–946.
- E. Chadwick, T. Rahulan and Y. Wang, 2012, The unpredictable behaviour of the Jabulani ball - the new FIFA world cup football, Mathematics Today, 48(3), 131-134.
- R. Pasupuleti, Y. Wang, I. Shabalin, L.Y. Li, Z. Liu, S. Grove, 2011, Modelling of Moisture Diffusion in Multilayer Woven Fabric Composites, Computational Materials Science, 50, 1675-1680
- I.L. Shabalin, Y. Wang, A.V. Krynkin, O.V. Umnova, V.M. Vishnyakov, L.I. Shabalin and V.K. Churkin, 2010, Physico-Mechanical Properties of Ultra-High Temperature Hetero-Modulus Ceramics Based on the Group-4 Transition-Metal Carbides, Advances in Applied Ceramics, 109(7), 405-415.
- Y. Wang, 2010, Phase Deterministic Modelling of Water Retention in Unsaturated Porous Media and Its Potential in Dynamic Unsaturated Flow Application, Journal of Porous Media, 13(3) 261-270.
- Y. Wang, S.M. Grove, M.G. Anderson, 2008, A Physical-Chemical Model for the Static Water Retention Characteristic of Unsaturated Porous Media, Advances in Water Resources, 31, 723-735.
- Y. Wang, G. Wu, 2008, Understanding and Modelling of Soil-Water Characteristic Curves, Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 30, 1282-1290.
- Y. Wang, S.M. Grove, 2008, Modelling Microscopic Flow in Woven Fabric Reinforcements and Its Application on Dual-scale LCM Modelling, Composites Part A, 39, 843-855.
- Y. Wang, S.M. Grove, M. Moatamedi, 2008, Continuum Dual-scale Modelling of Liquid Composite Moulding Processes, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 28, 1469-1484.
- Y. Wang, E.A. Edmund, M. Scholz, D.K. Ross, 2013, Mathematical Description of the Capillarity of Porous Media from Surface Adsorption to Liquid Retention, Multiphase Flow 2013- 7th International Conference on Computational and Experimental Methods in Multiphase and Complex Flow, 3-5July, 2013, A Coruna, Spain.
- G. Wu, Y. Wang, G. Swift, 2011, Physico-Mechanical and Thermo-Mechanical Characterization of Sand Stone, the 12th ISRM International Congress on Rock Mechanics, Oct., 2011, Beijing, China
- Y. Wang, X.Y. Wang, M. Scholz, D.K. Ross, 2011, A Physico-Chemical Model of The Water Vapour Sorption Isotherm of Hardened Cementitious Materials, International Symposium on Cement & Concrete Materials, 7th-9th Nov. Ningbo, China
- Y. Wang, W. Gang and C. Melbourne, 2009, Modelling of the Water Phase Behaviour in Unsaturated Soils, 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Unsaturated Soils, 23th-25th November, University of Newcastle, Australia. (ISBN: 978-0-415-87716-9).
- Y. Wang, W. Gang, S.M. Grove, M.G. Anderson, 2008, Modelling Water Retention Characteristic of Unsaturated Soils, Proceedings of the 1st European Conference on Unsaturated Soils, 2nd-4th July, University of Durham, UK. (ISBN: 9780415476928).
- Y. Wang, S.M. Grove, M.G. Anderson, L.F. Liu, 2008, Modelling and Predicting the Unsaturated Hydraulic Transport Properties with a New Characteristic Model, in Hydrological Sciences for Managing Water Resources in the Asian Developing World, ed. Chen X., Chen Y.D., Xia J. and Zhang H., IAHS Publication, 149-156 (ISBN 978-1-901502-44-2).
- Y. Wang, S. Grove and M. Maotamedi, 2008, Modelling Tow Impregnation of Woven Fabric Reinforcements and Its Application in Liquid Composite Moulding Process Modelling, Proceedings of the 2008 ASME Pressure Vessels & Piping Conference, 27th-31th July, Chicago, USA (ISBN: 0-7918-3828-5).
Chloride Transport in Concrete: Mathematical Description and Modeling, 2011, VDM Publishing House Ltd, ISBN-NR-978-3-639-33625-2.