Advanced Counselling and Psychotherapy Studies
School - School of Nursing, Midwifery & Social Work
Subject area - Counselling and Psychotherapy
Start Dates(s): September
September (full-time and part-time)
MSc: One year full-time, two or three years part-time
PgDip: One and a half or two years part-time
PgCert: One year part-time
Part-time - £1,230 per 30 credit module
- Gain advanced skills in critical evaluation for complex psychotherapeutic situations
- Benefit from up-to-date thinking from experts in theory, practice and research
- Conduct publishable research that creates real impact
- Part-time study option
- International students can apply
This course will enable you to:
- Gain an advanced expertise in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Become a practitioner who is capable of working effectively with a wide range of clients, together with a range of psychological problems of varying degrees of severity
- Become a practitioner who is capable of making autonomous professional decisions in complex circumstances
- Become a practitioner who has a critical understanding of the theoretical knowledge which underpins practice and has the ability to critically appraise research evidence
To gain entry onto this course, you will need to be a qualified counsellor or psychotherapist and in practice.
This course will equip you with advanced knowledge relating to Counselling and Psychotherapy. The course has been structured to present you with opportunities to learn about different aspects of the lived experience and how these can be attended to therapeutically through brief and long-term interventions. The course will provide contexts to your work, from different perspectives that will enable you to consider more complex needs than is possible during initial Counselling and Psychotherapy training. Whatever your chosen focus of practice, each module will challenge you to extend your ability to critically inform the rationales for your work with clients at an advanced level.
The below is an example of how the modules are spread over the three-year part-time option. This may vary depending on the duration you choose.