The latest government safety guidelines from 4 January means that teaching must take place online until at least 22 February. You should have received an email from us advising you on how this will impact your course. If you did not receive the email please contact

Please read the below information carefully, we have just updated the section on international travel and accommodation based on the latest guidelines. It is important you still complete online registration for your course if you want to start your studies, the course start date has not changed.

We will continue to keep in touch with you as we get more information.

Wherever in the world, your exciting new journey is starting from, we can’t wait to see your Salford story develop - and we’re here to make sure you have an amazing time!

Before you leave, take a look at the information below. We have highlighted the essential items you must bring and key things to check before you travel. It will help you get everything in place, so your first few weeks can run smoothly.

How to prepare your Visa

Find out how to apply for a visa from inside and outside the UK from our Immigration and Visa Help pages.

To register with the University of Salford and start your programme, you must have used your CAS and have made a successful application for a Student Route visa to study in the UK. Find out more about how to apply for your visa.


Based on the latest government safety announcement from 5 January, you should follow the below guidance:

  • If you haven’t booked your travel to the UK, you should start your programme online from your home country.
  • If you have booked your travel to the UK, and you can amend it without incurring any undue cost, you should amend your travel and start your programme online from your home country.
  • If you have booked your travel to the UK, and you cannot amend it without incurring any undue cost, you are permitted to travel to the UK. Please note that you will not be able to come to campus and you must start your programme online.

Government travel advice is changing regularly due to the COVID-19 situation. When you are in a position to travel to the UK, remember to follow government advice for overseas travel according to both your home country and that of the UK. You can find more information about travel arrangements on our FAQ page. Please read the sections titled "International travel" and "Prepare for Self Isolation and mandatory Covid-19 testing".


If you are travelling into Manchester airport, you can get a free taxi transfer to the University of Salford campus or to your student accommodation in Salford or Manchester.

To use this service you must book at least 72 hours in advance. You will need your University ID, flight details and accommodation address to complete the booking form.

On arrival at the airport, you will meet your taxi driver at the Travelex Service Desk. Your driver will be holding up a sign with your name on, so please look out for them. Due to current Covid-19 guidelines, you will need to wear a face-covering for the duration of the taxi ride.

If you are staying with friends or family, you should arrange for your friends or family to collect you by car. Your friends or family will not be allowed in the airport building, so please arrange to meet them at the car in the designated area.

If you are travelling into London Heathrow or any other airport, you should book a connecting flight to Manchester Airport. You can then book a free taxi service to your accommodation or hotel from Manchester Airport.

Find out more and book.


  • If you haven’t already booked your accommodation, please wait to do this until you know when you are permitted to travel.
  • If you have already booked your accommodation and are unable to amend the dates without incurring a fee then you can still proceed to come to your UK accommodation as planned.
  • If you have booked your accommodation and are able to move the dates without incurring a fee, you should do so, and start your studies in your home country.

If you are coming from a country where you will be required to self-isolate on arrival, you will need to provide the details of your accommodation before you travel.

If you have booked into our on-campus accommodation with Campus Living Villages (CLV), you can find lots of useful information about how they will support you and keep you safe during COVID-19 on their FAQ page. If you have booked with another accommodation provider, you should contact them to discuss safety procedures and self-isolation support. We have listed some contact details for local accommodation providers on our Coronavirus FAQ page.

For support with booking accommodation, go to our accommodation page. 

As well as the University of Salford's accommodation partner, Campus Living Villages (CLV), our Accommodation team can provide a list of alternative accommodation providers. You can contact them by emailing and they can answer any questions you have.

Airport documents

Before you depart, check that you have all the documents you will need. Make sure you carry all your documents in your hand luggage so that you have them with you at all times. You will need to show some of these documents to the UK Border Force officers and further documents if you have booked a taxi transfer.  

Please ensure you have the following doccuments ready when you arrive

Click to see the list

  • Your passport - Remove your passport from any protective casing before handing it to the Border Force officer    
  • Visa This could be in the form of a vignette in your passport and/or a decision letter proving your right to study in the UK      
  • Your CAS letter You may be asked to show your CAS on arrival in the UK      
  • Your medical card - You may be asked to show a medical card or a TB screening certificate (depending on your country of origin) on arrival in the UK     
  • Your university offer letter - You will need to show this to the taxi company if you have booked a taxi transfer    
  • Your airport welcome/taxi transfer confirmation. You will need to show this to the taxi company if you have booked a taxi transfer. You can book a taxi through Advantage.
  • Bring a copy of your completed Passenger Locator Form and  proof of your negative Covid-19 test

What to bring

When packing, make sure you bring your documentation and some money to get you started. Here is our advice on what items are essential, what items are useful and what you don’t need to pack in your suitcase.

Click to see the list

Bring these essential items

Depending on your circumstances, the following documents may be required once you have entered the UK, either for your University registration or for other purposes:

  • Passport and Visa
  • Travel and health insurance documents      
  • Documentary evidence of your finances and ability to pay your fees and to support yourself whilst living in the UK
  • Your sponsorship letter if applicable     
  • Documentary evidence of your qualifications (original documents of academic certificates and/or original official transcripts)      
  • Your offer letter from the University of Salford      
  • Original documentary evidence of your English language skills (if required)      
  • Your ATAS Certificate (if required)      
  • Driver’s license (if you have one)      
  • Any doctor’s letter outlining medical conditions or prescribed drugs
  • Enough money to buy food and essentials with before you open a UK bank account. We recommend bringing an international credit or debit card to avoid using cash and to use during your self-isolation period (if you are required to self-isolate). We have a Santander bank on campus, which will make it easy for you to set up a bank account once you are ready.
  • A face mask and hand sanitiser
  • A laptop or suitable device for your induction and online classes.*

* If you don't already have a laptop or suitable device for learning, you can check if you are eligible for our Salford Education Technology Fund.

Recommended items

What you should pack will depend on your individual circumstances. Here are some items we recommend you bring with you:

  • Pack at least one warm sweater and a jacket. Cotton or wool fabric are much warmer than synthetic fabrics. You can buy suitable warm clothes at low cost once you arrive. Student support staff or welcome staff can advise where to go for bargains      
  • A dictionary. This can be very useful especially at the start of your studies      
  • Small personal items such as photographs that can help your new accommodation feel more like home
  • Medication – if you require ongoing medication, it is helpful to bring this in its original packaging, along with a letter written in English from your doctor to confirm: your medical condition and required treatment. You can use this to show your doctor in the UK once registered, to help them continue your treatment. If you are bringing medication, it is important to check the regulations about bringing medication into the UK.

What not to bring

Your entire household!    

  • You can buy all the household items you may need, such as bedding, or kitchenware locally at low cost – we can tell you where to find everything once you arrive.    
  • Too many books. You can borrow most books you need at the library or they may be available second hand from other students      

There are some things you cannot bring into the UK, or are subject to restrictions:    

  • Banned goods - These include items such as firearms, knives, imitation or ceremonial weapons, certain fur or animal skin products, indecent or obscene materials
  • Food products and plants - There are restrictions on bringing certain foodstuffs and plants into the UK. Meat and dairy products are not allowed in most cases, and restrictions apply to vegetables and plants. Restricted goods will be confiscated on arrival, so please check the regulations carefully        
  • Duty-free goods - You can bring in a certain amount of duty-free/tax-free goods into the UK for your own use. This is known as a ‘duty-free allowance’. If you go over your allowance, you may have to pay duty or tax. There are limits to the amount of tobacco and alcohol you can bring into the country and on the value of other goods
  • Cash - You must declare on arrival any amounts of cash in any currency you are bringing into the UK which is equivalent to or more than 10,000 Euro. It is also advised against using cash during the COVID-19 pandemic for hygiene reasons.

Key things to check before you travel

There are a number of important things to check before you leave home. Please read all the sections below thoroughly.

Click to see the list

Payment plan

You must have agreed a payment plan with the University for any outstanding tuition fees before you can complete student registration.    

You can pay any balance on your fees in full on arrival, or you can arrange to pay the balance in instalments.    

For more information visit our askUS pages.

International Right to Study appointment

To register as a student, you will need to attend an International Check-in Appointment online, in order to meet Home Office requirements. Find the full details of how to do this on our International Registration for new students page.

Online registration for your programme

It is important to register promptly and before the start of term so that you can access your learning resources and start your course. See the registration page for more information on how to complete online registration. If you do not register on time you may not be able to join your course and your Student Visa may be revoked.

We are giving away some prizes including a laptop and other goodies to those who register promptly in January! Check out our Registered and Ready Competition.

Important dates

It is important to make a note of all important dates which relate to your immigration status and set reminders for taking any action required, such as applying for a Visa extension or renewing your passport. You should take note of:

  • The date your current Visa expires       
  • The date your passport expires       
  • Dates you are meeting with your supervisor (if you are a research student, or a masters student who has progressed to writing up your dissertation)      

Our Immigration and Visas website contains a wealth of information, resources and guides to help support you through your time at the University of Salford. If you cannot find the information you need on our website, please get in touch with the Home Office Compliance team in askUS:

Address details

You must provide a UK address and telephone number as part of the University of Salford's registration process.

It is a requirement of your Visa that you inform the University of Salford if either should change.

If you don’t have a permanent address when you register with the University of Salford, you can provide a temporary address.

When this changes you must update your details.

Student Route Visa Orientation

Following completion of your registration, you will receive an email from the Home Office Compliance team inviting you to book on to a mandatory Student Route Visa Orientation session. The Student Route Visa session will equip you with all the essential information you will need while you are an international student in the UK.

Police registration

If you are coming to the UK for more than six months, you may be required to register with the police as part of your visa regulations. Read the full details about Police Registraion.

Please note that the government have confirmed that students who need to register with the police do not need to do so whilst social distancing measures are in place in the UK.


Travel arrangements

Before you travel you must:

  • Review the latest government guidance
  • Complete the Passenger Locator Form and bring a copy with you
  • Prepare for your self-isolation period, including accommodation and travel from the airport. More information available on our FAQ page.
  • Bring a face mask and hand sanitiser
  • Bring an international credit or debit card to avoid using cash and to use during your self-isolation period (if required)
  • Check your travel and health insurance

If you want to book a free taxi transfer from Manchester airport to your accommodation or to our campus, you can book this via Advantage.


Study equipment

You will need a laptop/PC or another device in order to be able to study. Financial help towards the cost of a laptop is also available for eligible students through the Salford Education Technology Fund.

Travelling to campus

University of Salford campus

We are situated just 2km from Manchester city centre - so close you can walk. We are also just 2.5km from MediaCityUK. The 50 bus, operated by Stagecoach, runs every 10-15 minutes from Manchester city centre via the University of Salford’s main Peel Park campus and Salford Shopping Centre, between 7am and 11pm, Monday to Friday, and between 8am and 6pm at the weekend.

Students can travel free between the main University campus, Peel Park, and MediaCityUK on production of their University ID cards.

The X50 runs every 15 minutes from Manchester city centre to the Trafford Centre via Salford Quays. Our MediaCityUK campus is just a few minutes’ walk from the Imperial War Museum stop on Trafford Wharf Road, via footbridge over the Manchester Ship Canal.

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, it is a legal requirement to wear a face covering at all times whilst using public transport in England.

Find out more about travelling to campus.

To find out more about transport links in Greater Manchester, visit Transport for Greater Manchester.

Engagement monitoring

Students in a lecture

We are required by law to inform the Home Office if any student on a Student Route Visa is not engaging regularly and, if so, your Student Route Visa could be revoked. For further details, visit the Visa and Immigration webpages.