Prospective Students FAQs

Media students

This page was updated on 04/07/2022

This page has been developed to support applicants looking to start their studies with us in September 2022.

If you still have a question having reviewed the information on this page, you will find a contact form at the bottom of the page to direct you to the relevant team. 

Accommodation and commuting

How do I book accommodation?

We know accommodation is an important decision for you to make as part of your applicant journey!

We work with our accommodation partners, Campus Living Villages (CLV), who manage two accommodation villages: Peel Park Quarter, and John Lester and Eddie Colman Courts.

Bookings for rooms at both of these sites are made through the CLV website. You must provide your student ID number when doing so, and you can find this on emails you've received from us.

It's worth noting that you'll need to pay a £200 deposit within seven days of booking to secure your room. You'll also need to pay two weeks' rent by 1 September 2022.

If our accommodation sites are fully booked when you first go to the CLV website, we recommend to keep checking back every couple of days. During the next couple of months, when applicants make their firm and insurance choices and then receive their results, you may find that rooms become available and so they're released onto the CLV website for other applicants to book.

Am I able to get a refund if I book a room and then change my mind?

Yes, you can cancel your accommodation contract anytime before 26 August 2022, and get a refund of any monies paid, by emailing Always quote your full name, date of birth and booking reference number in your email to help the team deal with your enquiry as quickly as possible.

My UCAS application states I want to stay at home, but I've changed my mind - can this be updated?

Don’t worry if your UCAS application indicates you wish to live at home – it’s no problem if you’ve changed your mind and are now considering student accommodation!

Your record doesn't need to be updated; the information is collected on application forms to help UCAS gauge how many students are interested in accommodation vs commuting to study.

You can simply go ahead and book a room at one of our accommodation sites!

Are there any other accommodation providers?

You will also be able to find accommodation with Manchester Student Homes, a free, university-run housing service for students. They offer independent housing advice and only advertise properties from accredited landlords who have signed up to their Code of Standards. For more information on their services, please visit their website.

You can also contact them directly, by calling 0161 275 7680 or emailing

I'll be commuting to Salford - what is student life like as a commuter?

You may decide that living at home and commuting to University is the best option for you, and there are plenty of public transport links to help you get to our campus.

Salford Crescent train station is situated right by our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses, connecting you to Manchester city centre and beyond. MediaCity is accessible by tram, and there are frequent bus services between all three sites and the wider Greater Manchester area.

Our two common rooms, one in University House at Peel Park and another in Allerton Building at Frederick Road, have been created with commuter students in mind. They feature spaces for individual or group study, as well as areas to relax in, watch TV, and enjoy your lunch with friends.

You can read more about the day in the life of a commuting student here.

Fees and funding

When can I apply for student finance?

Full-time undergraduate students in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland should apply for student finance as soon as possible to ensure you get your student finance in time for starting your course. If you apply late, your money might be late too!

For Student Finance England, the recommended deadline was 20 May 2022, and for Student Finance Wales it was 27 May 2022.

For students applying from Northern Ireland, the recommended deadline was 8 April 2022, and if you are applying from Scotland the deadline was 30 June 2022.

You don’t need a confirmed place to apply for student finance - you can apply now and update your details later if you need to.

Part-time undergraduate students can now also apply for student finance and more information can be found in this video.

Can I apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund bursary?

For the last couple of years, financial support has been made available to students studying a number of healthcare courses via the NHS Learning Support Fund.

If you are a new healthcare student starting one of the eligible courses in September 2022, you can find out more about this bursary, including how and when to apply, on this dedicated webpage

Where can I find out about Salford bursaries?

When it comes to fees and funding, we understand that going to University can feel like a daunting experience for some students. We have a limited number of bursaries at Salford and you can find more information about these, including whether you're eligible, here on our website.

I'm an international student, what do I need to know about fees and scholarships?

If you are an international student, you can find out all you need to know about paying your tuition fees, deposit and about the cost of living on our fees and funding page.

Remember to check your offer letter to see if you are eligible for one of our scholarships. You may also be able to apply for one of our other international scholarships.

Applications and offers

I've applied - what happens next?

Once you've made an application to study with us, you'll typically receive a decision within a few weeks. The exact time frame can vary from course to course, and on the time of year, but our Admissions Team work hard to process all applications as quick as possible.

If you are a UCAS applicant you can monitor the progress of your application via UCAS Track - your application status will automatically update as soon as any changes occur. More information about tracking your application can be found on the UCAS website.

If you are a direct applicant we recommend that you regularly sign into your applicant portal for updates on the progress of your application.

You can find more details about the next steps in your applicant journey here.

If you are an international student, you can find more details about the next steps in your applicant journey here.

Are you still accepting applications?

Undergraduate Degrees

Applications for full-time undergraduate courses starting in September 2022 have now closed through UCAS, but Clearing will open on Tuesday 5 July. You'll be able to find more information about which courses are available and how to apply for a place here.

Applications for part-time undergraduate courses are made directly to the University – you can find out more here.

Postgraduate Degrees

Applications for our postgraduate courses need to come through our online application portal. More details can be found on our postgraduate application page. We would advise that you apply for a postgraduate course at least one month before the course starts. If you are applying from outside of the UK, you can find more useful information on our international entry requirements and deadlines page.

Degree Apprenticeships

Applications are made directly to the University following a consultation with your employer. Further information on the next available start dates can be found on the individual course pagesYou can read more about our degree apprenticeships here on our website.

I'm still deciding which course to apply for, where can I find more information about your courses?

You can search the range of courses we offer here and filter by the type of study you are interested in. From the search results, you can click on a course to read more about it such as entry requirements, course duration, tuition fees, modules and methods of assessment.

I have been asked to provide a Personal Statement, what does this require?

Please refer to our personal statement guide and our hints and tips for more information.

Do I need to provide to provide a reference as part of my application?

Yes, all applications require a reference from a suitable referee, such as one of your tutors if you are in education or managers/supervisors if you are in employment.

If you are applying for a course through UCAS and can’t provide a reference at this stage, please don’t worry.The Admissions Team can assess your application based on your qualification details and personal statement and then, if we make you a conditional offer, the reference will be one of your conditions.There is a box you can tick on the UCAS application form to state that you’re not including a reference at this time.

We advise checking with any other universities you’re applying for as well, so that your application wouldn’t be penalised by other institutions. You can read more here on the UCAS website.

If you are applying for a course through Clearing then it's unlikely that you'll need to supply a reference, but full details of which documents you need to provide in support of your application will be communicated to you via email.

I have been asked to fill out a Fee Assessment form – what happens next?

If you have been asked to fill out a Fee Assessment form, this is because we need to clarify your fee-paying status as either a Home or International student. Please complete your online form as soon as possible. When a decision is made, your offer will then be processed. Your offer status can be found on your UCAS Track if you are an Undergraduate, or through the online application portal if you are a Postgraduate or Direct applicant.

I have received an offer which states I am a full-time home student, what does this mean?

If your offer letter refers to you being classed as a full-time home student, this means you are paying our home student tuition fees rather than international fees. It is not related to whether you choose to live in student accommodation or commute from your home address.

When do I need to reply to my offers on UCAS?

You won't be able to reply to offers until all your universities have informed you of their decisions and universities have strict deadlines that they must meet depending on the date of your application submission.

If you receive all decisions from your universities by 14 July 2022, then you must reply by 21 July.

You can find more information on making your firm and insurance choices here on the UCAS website. We would encourage you to check on your individual UCAS Track for any deadlines which are personal to your own application.


How can I find out about Applicant Visit Days?

We have come to the end of our current schedule of Applicant Visit Days, but if you are still looking to find out more about studying with us in September then be sure to take a look at our Undergraduate Events page for details of other ways to meet us.

How can I find out about Open Days?

Our next Undergraduate Open Days are currently planned for Saturday 8 October and Saturday 12 November, but you can keep up to date with all the latest information about our Undergraduate Open Days here

You can find more information about upcoming postgraduate events and further resources here.

Campus life

What's Salford like?

Salford is in the heart of Greater Manchester, but whilst it’s just 2km from the buzzing Manchester city centre, it has its own community feel.

If you enjoy the outdoors, then you'll find Peel Park, one of the first public parks in the country, conveniently located next to Peel Park Campus. It’s the perfect place for an afternoon walk or an early morning jog before your studies.

Culturally there’s lots to see and do - Salford is home to MediaCityUK and The Lowry, plus Salford Museum and Art Gallery is right on Peel Park Campus!

You can chat to our current students about their experiences living in Salford on our Unibuddy platform.

What's the local transport network like?

We’re well connected by public transport with Salford Crescent train station located right between our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses making it easy to travel into Manchester city centre and further afield. There’s a Metrolink stop a stone’s throw from our building at MediaCity if you’re using the city’s tram network. Don’t forget the regular bus links between the city centre and all three campuses - you can use your student ID card to get between MediaCity and Peel Park for free on the number 50 Stagecoach bus!

Am I able to park on campus?

Yes, and we have multiple car parks available across our Peel Park and Frederick Road campuses - take a look at our campus map for more information. 

If you choose to use a University car park, you will need a valid parking session which students can purchase hourly, weekly, monthly or annually. There are several ways to pay for your parking, and you can find more information, including prices, on our dedicated webpage

Parking at our MediaCity site is a little bit more limited, but if you do decide to drive, take a look at the MediaCity parking guide for more information.


What clubs and societies do you have?

At Salford, we understand that a student’s experience goes beyond the academic teaching on your course. We have a wide range of societies, sports groups and social activities on offer so that you can pursue your passion or try something new.

How can I meet my coursemates?

You can join our official Facebook group for 2022 undergraduate applicants. It works as a platform to offer new students the opportunity to get to know future coursemates, housemates and society-mates - all before you've even started university!

Student support

What student support services are in place at Salford?

We want you to enjoy your time studying at Salford, but we understand that you may need a little extra support. askUS is our dedicated student support service, offering advice and information on a range of matters, from finance to wellbeing and counselling to disability and learner support.

I'm worried about my mental health.

Within our dedicated student support service, askUS, the Wellbeing and Counselling team are on hand to support you throughout your studies. We've created a webpage to provide you with more information on our wellbeing service, including who to speak to about your mental health and guidance on how to ensure you remain supported once you start university. 

Previous students tell us that getting support in place early or ensuring any existing support they had in place was transferred to Salford, really helped them to enjoy and succeed in their studies, so we would encourage you to start the process as soon as possible. 

For more information, please call the Wellbeing team on 0161 295 0023 (option 1, option 1) or email

Student Minds, the UK’s student mental health charity, are also here to help you. They have established a resource called transitions, to provide you with information and tips to guide you through the process of moving and settling in to life at university. 


I need information about childcare.

We understand that as a parent of young children, you need support at a time and place that suits you. Salford have a wealth of support services available to you, from our dedicated student service, askUS, to our on campus nursery, Busy Bees. You can find more information about Busy Bees on their website

How does Salford support prospective students from under-represented groups?

We offer a range of support and advice through our askUS service for care experienced young people, disabled learners, young carers and estranged learners (students who will be studying without family support). We will support you every step of the way, and as a student at Salford, you will have access to our counselling and wellbeing services to ensure you reach your full potential.

You can find support from several dedicated charities across the UK, such as Buttle UK who provide grants and assistance to vulnerable young people, Rees Foundation who strive to help care experienced individuals and Stand Alone who offer advice and support services to people estranged from their families.

There are also a range of services available to you across Greater Manchester, and you can find the contact details for these and each university on the Greater Manchester Higher Website.


Teaching and learning

When will I get my timetable?

Once you have registered as a student with us, you will receive an email with a link to your personal timetable and some general timetable guidance.

For an overview of the 2022/23 academic year, including a breakdown of each trimester and vacation period, please click here. Please note that all events are subject to change.

The majority of our courses do not have teaching during trimester 3; however, if you are on a course aligned with a healthcare profession or a course with a mid-year start, you will be taught during this period.

How will I be taught and assessed?

Teaching and assessment methods vary from course to course depending on the type of subject you're studying - some will be more practical with workshops and interactive assessments, whilst others will have traditional lectures and essays.

If you're unsure about what is involved in your course, then we recommend searching our range of courses here and then selecting the relevant course page for all the details about your chosen programme.


Can I speak to a current student who is studying my chosen course at Salford?

You can find out more about your course and chat to current students on our Unibuddy platform. Feel free to sign up, read some of the student ambassador profiles and ask questions to learn more about student life at Salford.

I am an international student - where can I find support?

Please refer to the following pages depending on what stage in the applicant journey you are at and what your query is: