Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Outgoing Students

Benefits of Study and Work Abroad

Enjoy the opportunity of a lifetime, and boost the skills you are currently learning by studying or working abroad and expanding your international cultural awareness. It is an opportunity to broaden your horizons and take on new challenges, while developing your communication skills and learn about new cultures.

Studying abroad gives you the chance to take your education to the next level, by immersing yourself in another culture and developing intercultural communication skills. Encourage your ability to adapt and try new adventures while you can!

Working abroad is a fantastic way to get yourself noticed for future employment, as this opportunity can provide you with a chance to work in stimulating, new environments. An internationally experienced and perceptive employee is an advantage to many companies.

We highly recommend you read through our Outgoing Students Handbook which is intended to help you make the most of your experience abroad, providing you with important information on what to do before, during and after your time abroad.


Erasmus+ is a European scheme, which provides students all over Europe with the incredible opportunity to take on a study exchange with a partner University or a work contract with a company in Europe. Not only does this give you the chance to experience an exciting new country, you also receive extra funding while you are there! With partners in France, Finland, Germany, Italy, Netherlands and Sweden to name but a few – the possibilities are limitless.

If you could see yourself travelling further than Europe, then we also have you covered. Our International Exchange programme encourages students to broaden their horizons and look at our partners further afield. Whether you enjoy the hustle and bustle of city life, or the peace and quiet of a secluded town, we have it all. With partners in Australia, Canada and USA, it is the perfect chance for some international experience, even if you do not know another language!

There are a few different factors we use to decide whether you would be eligible to study abroad:

  • Current year of study
    • We would usually send you out to one of our partners during either your second year of study, or your sandwich year if applicable. Please note there are exemptions from this for certain courses.
  • Academic standing
    • This depends on the School you are studying in, as they each have different requirements. The main requirement is that you have at least passed your first year of studies at Salford.

Before You Go

Studying or working abroad is such an exciting opportunity, but you must ensure that you are completely prepared before you go. We have put together some of the most important things for you to think about, and we encourage you do plenty of your own research too.

First things first

Firstly, we encourage you to speak to your Link Tutor as they will be able to tell you if you are eligible for opportunities abroad, and what they are. Often, your Link Tutors will have contacts at our partners, and may be able to advise you on where would be best suited for your current studies and interests.

Please be aware that you will be required to provide paperwork and information for both us, and your host institution. The process will inevitably vary from country to country, and institution to institution – so it is imperative that you pay close attention to what they require, as well as what we require. It is your responsibility to ensure that you submit all the required documents on time without missing any deadlines.

Main Steps

There are two main stages to the process of study abroad – nomination stage and application stage. To be considered for your time abroad, you must undergo both steps:


Usually, at the nomination stage, we will send your general information to the partner – name, course of study, year of study etc. – although certain partners may ask for more in depth information at this point. The partner will provide us with their response based on the information we send them, and this is either a rejection, or a provisional acceptance. If the partner rejects you based on the nomination, you will not be invited to send through an application. 


If you are provisionally accepted, you will be asked to send an application with any further details they require. At this point, the partner is still entitled to reject you. You could be rejected for numerous reasons such as there not being room on your chosen course or the modules not matching your previous education. If you are accepted, the institution will provide you with an acceptance letter and further information on the next steps you need to take!

Important extras

It is also important to note that some of our host countries will require you to provide evidence that you are able to support yourself financially throughout your stay. Once you have completed this stage, they will send you a document you need when applying for a visa.

If you have a disability you will need to discuss your support requirements and funding of support, prior to confirming arrangements relating to travel, accommodation , employment or study. You need to be aware that not all EU or international countries have equivalent legislation to our Equality Act so there may not be the same protection or support for disabled people. Irrespective of the Equality Act here in England, it is the legislation within your host country which will apply.

To discuss any support requirements and funding please contact Disability & Learner Support.

It is equally important that you notify the host institution of any disabilities and more importantly your support requirements at the nomination stage, so you can be assured that the necessary support will be available to you upon arrival in your chosen country.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have obtained all of the necessary documents and information prior to your departure. These do not include documents required by Salford, and are specifically for your travelling, immigration and residency. Because immigration advice is constantly changing, you must speak directly with the relevant consulate or embassy; the Study Abroad and Exchanges Team are not qualified to provide any official guidance.

You will need to check your passport validity as early as possible; usually it must be valid for at least 6 months after the end date of your trip. Partner institutions may request a copy of your passport as part of their application process to be sure of its validity, so if you need to renew it make sure you do this promptly.

It is advisable to check with your host country’s embassy or consulate as to whether you require a birth certificate for local documentation. Additionally, some banks or phone companies may require a copy of your birth certificate so we recommended you take a few copies so that you are covered.

Visas are only required if you are planning to travel outside of Europe or by non-EU students who plan to study or work within Europe. The process for visas is different for each country, and you must complete applications by yourself. The Study Abroad and Exchanges Team are not qualified to offer advice regarding your visa, nor can we apply on your behalf.  

In order to apply for a visa, most countries will require an invitation or offer letter from your host organisation as proof of admission. When you acquire a student visa, they will often have strict conditions such as attendance and grades. Other conditions may include restrictions on the amount of hours you can work while on the visa. Please make sure you do your research beforehand so you are aware of the dos and don’ts.

If you are studying at Salford on a visa, you will be required to inform the Home Office Compliance Team and there may be further steps you have to take in order to ensure your eligibility to study in your country of choice.

Students applying for Canadian study permits will be required to travel to London to complete a bio metrics register. The High Commission in London has advised that the minimum time for turn around of visas is two months. Information can be found on the official Canadian government web pages:

Staying safe while abroad is of the utmost importance, so ensure you are prepared and well informed before you go. There are plenty of blogs (Global Graduates) and other sources of information you can find online, so get researching!


Healthcare will vary from country to country, so it is important that you check in advance of leaving whether or not you need to purchase health insurance. While some countries may have free healthcare similar to the UK, many will not.

If you are travelling within the EU make sure you obtain a free EHIC (European Health Insurance Card), which will entitle you to reduced cost or free emergency health care in your host country.

Make sure you check the rules before entering any country outside of the EU as you may be required to have a check-up with your GP before you leave. You can find out more information on the UK Government’s Foreign Travel Advice, by selecting the country you will be going to.

Make sure you check the aircraft carrier regulations and insurance terms/conditions if you have a medical condition or disability before committing to any arrangements. You may be required to supply a letter from your GP to evidence your fitness to travel.


Being alert and aware while you are travelling and living abroad will go a long way. Do your research before you arrive and think about:

  • The crime rates and most common type of crimes
  • How you can ensure you avoid becoming a victim of theft
  • The local laws and regulations
  • What to do if you lose your passport
  • Emergency contacts in your host country

Do your research on the area you are going to study and live in. Ensure you have emergency contact numbers readily available, and inform a member of staff at the University if you are intending to travel anywhere other than your host destination.

The CallMy Alert app allows us to communicate to all our colleagues and students securely in the event of an emergency. Also if you enable location services and you are travelling abroad or in the UK, we can pinpoint your whereabouts using the app and get you quickly in the event of an emergency.


If you are studying or working abroad, you are covered under our University insurance. For more information, please read our Insurance Cover Summary. If you would like any further information about the University insurance, you can get in touch with our Finance Department.

If you are about to undertake a work placement abroad, we also recommend checking with your employer what insurance they provide.

The accommodation you will be living in while abroad will depend on the country, city and institution you are attending. While many institutions will offer student halls or residences that are similar to Salford, this may not always be the case. All institutions will have information about the type of accommodation available; this is usually on their website. Make sure you do your research on the accommodation that is offered, and speak to your designated contact at your host institution who will be able to provide you with further information.

Consider where the accommodation is in relation to the location of your classes, and think about how you will travel each day. Although living further away from the city/institution may mean cheaper rent, it may also mean spending more on travelling!

One of the most important things to consider when you are going abroad is your money. Make sure you plan in advance and save as much as you can!

You do not need to worry about your tuition fees, as you will continue paying them to Salford as usual, and you may only ever pay an enrollment or registration fee at your host institution. It is also good to note that you are still eligible for the student finance you would ordinarily receive.

If you are going abroad under the Erasmus+ programme there is further funding available to you. As a student with disability or from a disadvantaged background, you are eligible to extra funding still through Erasmus+. For more information check the Erasmus website.

Do not forget your personal finances, either! You will still have to pay for all of the usual:

  • Rent
  • Educational supplies
  • Insurance costs
  • Travels costs
  • Personal expenses (shopping, food etc.)

It is also a good idea to consider the cost of living in your host country, and maybe think about saving a few extra pennies if it will be more than what you are used to! You can check out costs of living for different cities in the world.

You may want to consider opening a bank account in your host country, as it may make it easier for paying for things such as your rent. Shop around for different banks, as there may be charges for opening with certain companies. Your host institution may be able to assist or provide guidance on suitable short-term bank accounts. Ensure you keep your UK bank account open, as this will likely be associated with other payments you receive.

Each year BUTEX awards a number of scholarships to students studying abroad for either a semester or for a whole academic year. The value of each scholarship is £500 and will be paid to the winners once they have arrived and registered at their host university. For more information, please visit the BUTEX website.

The University of Salford in partnership with Santander has funding to support students wishing to undertake an international visit. For more info, visit

While You Are Abroad

It can be daunting moving to another country, even if only for a short time. Get yourself involved in orientation activities, and try to make new friends. Joining international student welcome activities may make you feel welcome and settled, as you are all starting out in a new country and are in the same boat. These friends will be a good starting support system for your time abroad.

If you require any academic support during your time abroad, we would suggest getting in touch with either your Link Tutor or your personal tutor. Your tutors are best informed to help with anything regarding your studies such as module choices and any paperwork required for them. The Study Abroad and Exchanges Team are here to support you in matters that your host institution and personal tutors may not be able to assist with.

Even while you are studying abroad, you are still a University of Salford student and thus have access to the same support facilities. All of the services provided by teams like askUS are available to you while you are abroad. If you want any information before you leave or while you are away, get in touch with them:

You are also a student at your host institution and will be entitled to their support services, and they should make you aware of these either before you arrive, or during your welcome. Please be aware that some charges may be payable for disability related support so ensure you contact Disability & Learner Support as soon as possible to discuss funding. If there is anything you are unsure of, just ask!

Emergencies & Safety

It is important to make sure you that check the emergency numbers of the country you will be travelling to, so that in the event of an emergency you are prepared. We would also recommend checking where the British Consulate/Embassy is based in your host country.

Even while you are studying or working abroad, you are still a University of Salford student. As we as being able to access our usual services and askUS contact 9am-5pm, there is our Crisis Support which has further information for out of hours contacts, and other support systems that are in place.

Excitement is most likely going to be your main feeling in the lead up to going abroad, but if you are worried or scared, then relax – it is totally normal! It is important to realise that what you are doing is a challenging experience that will come with its difficulties, as well as rewards.

No matter the length of your time abroad, you may be likely to experience homesickness and culture shock at some point. It is a natural way to react when you are exposed to a new lifestyle and place.

If you find yourself struggling with culture shock, then the following suggestions may be helpful:

  • Don’t be too hard on yourself, give yourself time to adjust
  • Maintain perspective, and think about ways that might help – going out and socialising, meeting other international students
  • Stay in touch with your friends and family back home. Seeing a familiar face through a screen is better than not seeing them at all
  • Take an adventure, go and see one of the sights you looked up before you left. It might make you remember why you wanted to go in the first place

Try exercising, or joining a society at your host institution as it can be a great way to take your mind off any worries, and meet new people.

Studying and working abroad are fantastic opportunities to try new things and have new experiences. We want to make sure that these are safe for both yourselves and your fellow students or colleagues. It is imperative to remember that by going abroad as a student of the University of Salford, you are an ambassador representing the university and must behave as such.

We ask all of our students who are going abroad, to ensure they conduct themselves appropriately both in and out of their host institution or company. It is important to be aware of any cultural differences, and ensure sure that you are open to learning and understanding the way of life in your host country.

If you are considering taking the opportunity to go abroad, and think it may be to a country that speak a different language you could start learning before you go! Salford Languages run yearlong modules for a range of languages, which could give you a boost when you step off the plane in your host country. Please note that as the courses run yearlong, not all students will be eligible before they leave to complete a course.

Visit the University Wide Language Programme website

On Your Return

Earlier we mentioned culture shock, and provided information on how you can deal with a new environment once you arrive at your host country. Believe it or not, this also happens when you return home! Reverse culture shock commonly occurs when you have been away from your home for a period of time, and have become used to the way of life you have been immersed in. It may only become apparent after the excitement of seeing your family and being home has worn off.

If you start to feel out of place when you return home, this may be because you have changed while you have been away. You have had a completely different experience to your peers, and you might find that people and things haven’t changed in the same way that you have. You may want to get more involved with our international student community, which you can do by joining societies, or volunteering in or outside of the university. Ultimately, if you are having difficulty readjusting to your life back at Salford, do not hesitate to seek help and support from your tutors, ourselves or the askUS Wellbeing & Counselling team.

It is important to make sure that before you leave your host company/institution, you have all of the required paperwork. If you are going away under the Erasmus+ programme, you will have more documents to provide upon your return to Salford.

The university will require a copy of your transcript of records from your host institution. This is a formal confirmation of the marks you have achieved during your time abroad, and your School will need to input the marks on your record at Salford. Once this has been received, you will receive a results letter from your school.

Keeping a track of all the exciting experiences you have while abroad may be difficult, but some students choose to create a blog, or send a few inserts about their time abroad. This is a great way to show off to possible future employers, as well as providing you with a platform to look at and remember your adventure.

The Study Abroad and Exchanges Team are always looking for inspirational accounts from our students that have been away. Whether you choose to send something written, a few photos or videos is entirely up to you, but we would love to see them!

Research has indicated that studying or working abroad can help enhance your future employability prospects, as the experience and skills you gain while abroad are highly sought after. These international experiences can set apart your application from the hundreds that graduates send in for jobs or further education, as well as being an engaging talking point during interviews.

The university offers Career and Employability advice to all of its students both past and present, so make sure you take advantage of the services concerning:

If you studied a language, or began to pick up the language of your host country while you were away you could progress this when you return with Salford Languages. This may help you keeping in touch with friends you made, if you are planning to go back or even for a bit of fun!

Contact the Study Abroad and Exchanges Team