Date published: September 25, 2017
Would you like to be mentored by an Industry Professional?
Second and third year students offered opportunity to have a working professional mentor as part of an innovative Industry Advice Mentoring scheme.
Your mentor can:
- Provide an insight into progression into their industry and learn about recruitment practices.
- Give expert advice and guidance about CV and application forms relevant to their area of work.
- Conduct mock interviews or other real world experiences to prepare you to compete in the workplace.
- Provide you with opportunities to enhance your knowledge and expertise in practical environments.
- Support you in one to one meetings to help you develop into a work-ready graduate.
There are limited spaces on three different schemes, students can sign up for either:
- Ethnic Minority Undergraduate Scheme (EMUS) – Open only to students who are from a Black, Asian or ethnic minority background and a British Citizen, this scheme is facilitated by the National Mentoring Consortium (NMC), and there are currently mentors ready and waiting to be matched on a one-to-one basis with interested students. (6 month scheme November – April)
- Alumni Mentoring Scheme – Mentors are members of the Alumni community who studied courses at the University of Salford and are now working in relevant industries locally. This scheme is open to students from any background. (10 month scheme November – August)
- Professional Services Mentoring – Mentors are members of Professional Services staff here at Salford University, for example they may be a finance manager or an accountant. The scheme provides students with support to develop their transferable skills such as time management and work on their interview skills and job applications etc to become a work ready graduate. (6 month scheme January – June)
Commitments for both schemes:
- Attend 2 hour training session and a social event to meet your mentor
- Commit to 6 - 10 month scheme, starting November or January
- Attend 1-2 meetings per month usually at mentors workplace or on campus
All mentors receive training, so you can be sure that the person that you are matched with has the right skills to help you compete in the workplace. Don’t delay in making your application. Places are limited and we expect to be oversubscribed.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 18th October at 12.00pm. To sign up for either scheme, please follow the relevant link to the form:
If you have any questions, please email the co-ordinator, Hannah Wilson on firstname.lastname@example.org
Need more encouragement? One of our student mentees from this year’s scheme said:
“The industry mentoring scheme has been a valuable and instrumental experience. My mentor has been in many ways an inspiring delight. She has held my hand and guided me through the aviation industry in my first staggering steps into the professional world and she has never failed to give me counsel, after each encounter”