Date published: January 29, 2018
Why attend a careers fair?
A number of Careers Fairs are coming up in semester 2.
You might be thinking why bother? Well there are a number of benefits to attending these events:
- You’ll gain access to a number of employers in one place – finding a job takes hard work and commitment, and plenty of hours honing the perfect CV, tailoring each one for every job, completing application forms, attending assessment centres and interviews (both telephone and/or video) and that’s before you get the job offer on the table and the references organised. So to make your application stand out come and meet the recruiters face-to-face, ask pertinent questions and by demonstrating your enthusiasm for the role in- person can potentially move you up the recruitment process a notch or two and increase your chances of being called for interview.
- It’s on-campus and usually over the lunchtime period – so won’t impact on your classes
- Receive specific careers advice and guidance - from the people who are either currently doing the job, or are recruiting the candidates. Your opportunity to get top tips on what they look for during the application process. The University’s Careers & Enterprise service will also be on hand to provide help too.
- Build your network of contacts – the organisations attending on the day may not be your next employer but they may be a future employer, so come prepared to talk to the representatives and develop those connections. Don’t forget to follow-up on LinkedIn afterwards.
- Find out about other career paths – you might speak to organisations that weren’t previously on your radar and it could open up a whole new potential career path that you hadn’t considered before.
- Help gain confidence – Careers Fairs give you the chance to practise speaking to professionals and the advice and help you receive on the day may well provide crucial information that will build confidence further down the line at interview.
Interested? Here's a list of the upcoming careers fairs:
- Acoustics, Audio & Video Engineering Careers Fair - Wednesday 7th February 2018
- School of Health Sciences Careers Fair - Thursday 8th February 2018
- Health and Society/Nursing Careers Fair - Monday 12th February 2018
- School of the Built Environment Careers Fair - Wednesday 7th March 2018
- School of Environment and Life Sciences Careers Fair - Wednesday 14th March 2018
Find out further details here: https://www.salford.ac.uk/askus/work-and-careers/career-events/meet-employers and we look forward to seeing you at an event soon!