Date published: April 04, 2018
Graduate Scholarship Programme 2018
Created by University of Salford Art Collection and School of Arts & Media in partnership with our professional partners: Castlefield Gallery, Hot Bed Press, Islington Mill, Paradise Works and Redeye, The Photography Network.
Aim of the programme:
The programme was established to support artists in the crucial first year after graduation. We want to encourage artists to remain in Salford and to develop their professional practice within the artist community in the city. Although the programme is for one year, many artists remain in studios in Salford or part of the wider Scholarship network.
This 12-month programme grants recent Arts and Media Graduates, time and resources to experiment and take risks with their creative practice within a supportive framework. It is an opportunity to develop further skills and professional experience here in Salford.
In 2017/18, we offered six scholarships, the group comprising of three Visual Arts graduates, one Creative Music Technology graduate, one Graphics graduate and one Photography graduate. Two of the Visual Arts graduates have individual studio spaces at Hot Bed Press and the third is at Paradise Works. The Creative Music Technology and Graphics graduates are based at Islington Mill and the Photography graduate is with Redeye, The Photography Network.
What we offer:
Each award is bespoke and is tailored to the needs of the individual. However, as a guide we offer:
- Up to £1000 cash award towards professional development (for example research, travel, and training) or production/material costs.
- Studio space (at one of the studios in Salford: Hot Bed Press, Islington Mill or Paradise Works) from October 2018 – September 2019.
- Mentor support & guidance from more established artists and arts professionals.
- Opportunity to work with and develop links with a peer group of new graduate artists, and build new professional networks.
- Professional development and training opportunities.
The programme is run by University of Salford Art Collection with Castlefield Gallery in partnership with our professional partners: Hot Bed Press, Islington Mill, Paradise Works and Redeye, The Photography Network.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for a small number of self-motivated applicants who can and will commit to the programme for 12 months (on a part time basis). Applicants are not expected to have a fixed plan as to what they would do during the programme, but must demonstrate ideas and ambitions in their chosen field as well as the commitment and drive to making them happen.
What we expect:
Successful candidates are expected:
- To sign a contract committing to participate actively in the programme for 12 months from 1st October 2018 – 30th September 2019 and agreeing to repay all funds if they withdraw.
- Experiment with ideas and develop new work through the programme.
- To participate in a minimum of 75% of the professional development programme.
- To regularly communicate with the Scholarship Team
- To identify and work with an appropriate mentor(s) with support from University of Salford and Scholarship Programme facilitator.
- At the end of the programme, in discussion with University Art Curator (Lindsay Taylor), gift work made during the Programme to the University Art Collection. This could be artwork - but equally could be documentation of projects, film, sound recordings or written proposals.
- To publicly present work on a minimum of two occasions during the programme. Presentation could be an exhibition, a talk, a performance, a written report, a screening, etc.
The Graduate Scholarship Programme is only open to University of Salford students from the School of Arts & Media who will graduate or complete their undergraduate studies in July 2018.
Applications deadline: by 9am on Monday 23rd April 2018