EU Referendum



As you will be aware the UK government has passed legislation that means that the UK will leave the European Union on the 29th March 2019. The details of how this will happen are still to be fully determined.

The government is publishing advice for UK and EU citizens which you can view using the weblink here. This should be a primary reference source if you have any questions about what will happen after Brexit.  

It is likely that additional information will continue to be released and we advise you to make sure that you always check for the latest updates on topics which are relevant to you. Below we provide a summary of some key points from this advice that may be particularly relevant:

Travel advice

If you are planning to travel around the end of March through April, here are a few things to take into consideration in light of the upcoming UK exit from the EU. As circumstances can change, do always check for up-to-date information when planning and booking.  The page of collected advice from the UK government on travel topics can be found here.

For students travelling during April, especially in the first fortnight after 29th March, we would like to emphasise the following points:

  • You will be expected to be in attendance for compulsory programme activities and assessments.  If you travel, plan for delays and disruption and make sure you allow plenty of time to reach, and move between, travel hubs.
  • Consider your contingency arrangements if your travel is delayed, either going or coming back, for example ensuring you have access to additional funds or a credit card.
  • Take extra care to ensure that all your travel documentation is present and up-to-date and that you have checked the requirements for your travel.  Students travelling abroad during the Brexit period are advised to carry the proof of study letter you received on registering on your course (for information on how to request a copy go here).
  • If you are a UK or non-EU citizen, ensure that you have the right travel insurance. Check that ‘Brexit-related’ issues aren’t excluded from it. At present it is unclear whether the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will continue to operate as now. Do make sure you have an EHIC and take it with you, but also take the latest advice on health cover when you book your travel and choose your insurance accordingly.
  • UK citizens see advice here for health cover while in Europe.
  • Consider roaming charges by UK mobile phone providers – more information here
  • As communicated by your school, any travel for University business is currently unavailable to book for the month of April, including trips that involve travelling on 29th March or being outside of the UK on this date.
  • If you have already booked a field trip as part of your curriculum around these dates, these trips are still going ahead. Please contact the group organiser should you have any questions.

It is in the interests of all the travel and holiday providers to keep things as smooth as possible, so it is to be hoped there won’t be too many problems – just make sure you are properly informed and take sensible precautions to protect yourself.


Students who require medicines which are only available on prescription should seek and follow advice from the NHS if concerned about any issues.  

Students should exercise extreme care if offered any other way to access medicines than via a legitimate healthcare provider as these may well be scams to steal money and may involve fake or adulterated medicines.