The Academic Standards and Quality Assurance Committee is responsible on behalf of Senate for policies, procedures, regulations and frameworks relating to:
- academic quality assurance and management
- academic standards and the design and management of the curriculum
- the admission of students
in relation to all taught programmes (undergraduate and postgraduate) leading to University awards or credit, including those involving collaboration with partner organisations, and pre-sessional English programmes.
The University’s Scheme for Academic Governance states that ASQAC’s responsibilities are:
- To determine policy governing the admission of students, including general entry requirements and the recognition of prior learning and to oversee the approach to assuring the completeness, accuracy and reliability of information provided for applicants and students.
- To determine and keep under review the approach to the curriculum framework, the academic year and all associated academic regulations and procedures.
- To determine and oversee arrangements for the approval, amendment, review and withdrawal of taught provision, including programmes involving collaboration with partner organisations.
- To determine and oversee operation of effective arrangements for monitoring and assuring the quality and standards of all taught provision, including that involving partner organisations.
- To determine and oversee arrangements for the assessment of students, including Boards of Examiners, External Examining, invigilation and moderation.
- To guide and oversee preparations for relevant external reviews and engagements and to advise the Senate on the University’s response.
- To monitor the effectiveness of the processes for accreditation of programmes by PSRBs.
- To be responsible for the Academic Audit process.
- To consider and report to Senate on such matters as may be referred to the Committee.
- ASQAC will make recommendations to the Senate on the approval of any new award to be offered by the University, and;
- The approval of any major new policy in relation to academic standards and quality assurance
Click here for the full Terms of Reference and Membership.
Secretary to ASQAC
Annette Cooke, email: email@example.com (0161 29)54123
Papers for consideration by the Committee must reach the Secretary at least two weeks in advance of the meeting at which they are to be considered.
Minutes of Meetings
Minutes of past ASQAC meetings are available for download.
Dates of ASQAC meetings for academic year 2017/18
8 November 2017
7 February 2018
9 May 2018
ASQAC dates are included in the University of Salford Almanac available to all staff.