SPD Privacy Notice
- Our commitment to privacy
- A bit about us
- Why do we collect your information?
- When do we collect Data?
- What sort of data do we collect?
- How do we use your information?
- How long do we keep your data for?
- Who do we share your information with?
- Your choices regarding your data
- Updating your contact details
- How can you find out what information we hold on you?
- Contact Us
Our Commitment to Privacy
Here at Salford Professional Development (SPD) we work hard to ensure that you get the very best experience without having to worry if your information is safe.
Outlined below is how and why we collect, use, and share your personal information, and your rights in relation to that data.
We know that there’s lots of information here, but we want you to be fully informed – we hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us at email@example.com.
A Bit about Us
Salford Professional Development is the “Data Controller” of your personal data and is subject to the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“GDPR”). We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) registration number ZA092210.
We work hard to ensure that you get the very best experience without having to worry if your information is safe.
Why do we collect your Information?
Under the GDPR we have to have justification (“legal basis”) for obtaining and processing your information. At SPD, we consider that the legal basis is our contract with you.
We use the details you provide to offer you our products and service, and to meet our contractual duties as laid out in our agreement with you.
When Do We Collect Data?
We collect personal data about you at various stages in your relationship with us. This may be:
- When you communicate with us, via phone, email or via the website, for example to make enquiries or raise concerns
- When you provide us information on your training and conference preference
- When you register for our courses
- When we confirm the contract with you
- During your course
- When you complete your course
We only collect and use your personal data when you specifically agree that we should do so. Some of the information you will provide, and some we collect automatically. The analytics we collect are to help us improve our online products and your browsing experience. However, the data that we collect automatically is not personal data. For example, just by browsing our site or downloading information, our system will automatically gather and store certain information about your visit. This information does not identify you personally, and we do not link it to any personal data. It is used to help us improve our website.
What Sort of Data Do We Collect?
Under the GDPR we are only permitted to collect the minimum amount of information needed to carry out a specific purpose. We may collect the following type of personal data about you:
- Information that helps identify you:
- Your name
- Contact information (address, email, phone number)
- Your date of birth if you are attending courses that require us to collect this data
- Your qualifications
- Financial information
- Educational qualification
- Support conversations during the course
- Sensitive personal data, including:
- Information concerning your health and medical conditions if you have special needs that we need to attend to during our contract
- Any access or disability requirements you may have.
- Information that helps us manage the contract such as:
- Your course feedback and general comments
How Do We Use Your Information?
We will process your personal information for a range of purposes associated with your contract. The primary purposes are:
- Registration, including production of name badges and organising conference and workshop attendances
- Financial administration, including fee payment and to manage risk
- To promote our products
- To identify you
- To authorise your participation on the course
- To tutor you
- To measure our performance and improve the design of our courses
- Tutor and admin support, course upselling
- To record your performance, and
- To deliver our commitments to you
How Long Do We Keep Your Data For?
Data is retained for as long as it is required to perform its purpose, or for as long as is required by law (see the link below). At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised.
Who Do We Share Your Information With?
Sometimes we share your personal data with trusted third parties, in order to meet our contractual needs or to improve our services, for example a printer to produce name badges, auditors, organisations that you have subscribed to in order to promote your career progress, and your employer if they have sponsored your attendance.
Here is the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe & protect your privacy:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected & protected at all times
- If we stop using their services, we will require that any of your data held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous
Examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:
- A printer to produce name badges
- Internal and external auditors
- 3rd parties managing financial payments and transactions
- Organisations that you have subscribed to in order to promote your career progress, such as professional bodies
- Your employer if they have sponsored your attendance or with our parent company, the University of Salford
Your choices regarding your Data
If you choose to become a member of any of our online communities or to receive our email communications, it is always your choice as to whether you want to continue receiving information from us. If you do not want us to use your personal information in this way or to contact you, please let us know . On our online portals, we offer settings to change your membership. On email you can click the unsubscribe link.
Updating your Contact Details
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us. You can let us know about any changes in your contact information at any time by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can you find out what Information we hold on you?
You have a right of access to your personal data held by SPD. A request for all such information is called a Subject Access Request or SAR.
You are entitled to:
- A description of the data
- The recipients of the data shared
- Information about any automated decisions that have been made
- A copy of the data on request
All the above must be returned to the requesting individual within one month and at no cost.
If you would like to exercise your right of Access please submit a request using the form found on the University of Salford main Privacy page, www.salford.ac.uk/privacy.
If you are unhappy with any of the issues we have described here, or if you have any questions about this policy, please contact Paul Bolton, the Data Protection Officer on +44 161 295 3000. Or email him on email@example.com.
Our address is:
Salford Professional Development Ltd
From time to time we may make changes to this statement because the way in which we are processing your personal information may need to change. All alterations will be posted on this page and will apply from the time we post them. Where we have a valid email address for you we will periodically email you to inform you of any substantial changes and/or to send you a link to our current privacy statement.
This statement was last updated on 24 September 2018.