School of Science, Engineering and Environment
Zafer has over 10 years of energy research and consultancy experience on smart grids, energy modelling, energy use in the built environment, renewable energy applications, geospatial decision making, and e-mobility.
Between 2007 and 2018, he took part in various energy related projects (at national and international scale) ranging from renewable energy feasibility to energy demand modelling, and from energy efficiency and sustainability in the built environment to electric vehicles charging infrastructure modelling. Providing assessment and feedback on NEEAP-TURKEY (National Energy Efficiency Action Plan – Funded by EBRD), and developing a long range electricity demand model (for a mainstream energy company in Turkey), and proposing an electricity price forecasting model (for a well-known German energy company entering Turkish market), and long range bottom-up Natural Gas demand modelling for TURKSTREAM Pipeline Project, and modelling electric vehicles diffusion in Turkey can be listed among the recent projects he participated.
Zafer has worked for various organizations (Consultancies, Universities, Think Tanks and NGOs, Ministries, Private sector) in Turkey, UK, the Balkan Region, Azerbaijan, Iran and UAE.
In May 2018, he joined THINKlab as a Research Fellow, and he is currently working on RenoZEB EU project. The project aims to accelerate nearly zero energy renovation for buildings and neighbourhoods.
Areas of research
Energy Efficiency in Buildings and Industry, BIM / BEM, Energy Use in Industry and Built Environment
Areas of supervision
Energy Modelling, Energy Efficiency, BIM / BEM
- Energy Efficiency in Buildings and Industry
- BIM / BEM
- Energy Use in Industry and Built Environment
- Renewable Energy
- Smart Grids
- Smart Cities
- Energy Modeling (Demand/Supply/Economics) and Optimisation
- Strategy Development and Business Models in Energy
- 2014: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Salford University, UK
- PhD Thesis Title: Smart grid applicability prioritisation of neighbourhoods by developing a geospatial decision support model
- 2009: Master of Science (MSc. in Sustainable Development, Energy and Management), Salford University, UK
- 2007: Bachelors in Meteorological Engineering (BSc.), Istanbul Technical University, Turkey
- Certified Energy Manager (by Ministry of Energy, Turkey, February 2018)
- Certified Lead Auditor of ISO 50001 Energy Management System, IRQA accredited, November 2017
- The Union of Chambers of Turkish Engineers and Architects, Chamber of Meteorology Engineers, member since September 2007
- International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE), member since April 2014
- The Turkish Association of Energy Economics, member since October 2014
- CIOB (The Chartered Institute of Building), member since 2010.
Smart Grid Applicability at Neighbourhood Level