School of Arts and Media
Senior Lecturer, Photography
I joined the University of Salford in 1997 and I also have experience of management and teaching across a wide range of courses including MA Communication Design, BA Advertising and especially the BA Graphic Design course, on which I have either taught or managed in my roles as either Programme Leader, Area Academic Coordinator, Level Tutor or Module Co-ordinator.
In terms of my own experience and knowledge of working within the field of photography and the arts this has been developed over 20 years and has provided me with valuable professional experience and insight of the sector.
I have worked continuously in the fields of both photography and design for over 15 years and have established links and contacts with photographers and photographic organisations at regional, national and international levels over this time including holding a directorship of Redeye Photographic Network (2002-2010), a RFAO Arts Council organisation dedicated to the promotion of photographic practice.
Director and Vice Chair - LOOK2011
Since 2008 I have also led the development and successful launch of Liverpool’s first International Photography Festival entitled LOOK, which launched in May 2011 with the generous support of various funding bodies including the Arts Council and Liverpool City Council.
In terms of my knowledge and expertise in relation to photography this can be seen in the context of the broader contemporary art practice that I operate within where photography has become integral to the mainstream contemporary art world and my own practice. This is evidenced in my own research interests, which centre on photography, the shift towards new forms of photographic expression and current discussions around photographic practice.
Areas of research
Photography, Memory, Time, Place, Healthcare
Programme Leader: BA (Hons) Photography
Duties include teaching, administration, organisation, module co-ordination and developmental duties. Responsible for curriculum, content, design, development and delivery across the programmes designated modules.
Academic Co-ordinator for the photography provision within the School, providing academic leadership and management in support of teaching, research and academic enterprise.
Responsible for quality assurance connected with designated module co-ordination and programme duties and delivery.
- Programme leader: BA (Hons) Photography 2010 – present
- Programme Leader MA Communication Design 2006 - 2010
- Programme Leader MA Graphic Design 2002 - 2005
- Programme Leader BA Graphic Design 2005 - 2007
- BA Graphic Design Module Co-ordinator & Tutor Levels 1 & 2 1997 - 2010
- Academic Co-coordinator - Graphics Area 2005 – 2007
This involved the day-to-day management and co-coordination the suite of Graphics programmes, including:
- BA Graphic Design
- HND Graphics
- MA Graphic Design
Full Member of Research Centre: Creative Technology & Communications
I have been a full member of the Art & Design Creative Technology & Communications Research Centre since 1999 and was one of the 18 FTE staff returned under the Art & Design unit of assessment for the RAE 2008 exercise, with 75% of submissions being deemed of international significance.
Research activities engage with the field of photographic narrative and the utilisation of the photograph as an aide memorie. Specific research interests here have focused upon the panoramic format as a medium to extend both physical and temporal space as a means to investigate our relationship with time, memory and place.
Additional investigations have centred on issues relating to how digital art and media operate within specific artforms and further exploration of how these media, once combined can be exploited and developed within a digital platform.
Funding and support from a wide variety of sources including: The AHRB, Arts Council England, and Regional Lottery Funding.
- MA Communication Design - Manchester Metropolitan University 1997
- BA Hons Photography and Imaging (2.1) - Manchester Metropolitan University 1996
- Vice Chair: Liverpool International Photography Festival, 2008 - present
- Directorship of Redeye: Photography Network, 2001 - 2010
- Affiliated Member: North West Art & Design Network
- REACT Member: Collaborative research training consortium
- Member of Faculty: College of Arts & Social Sciences
- Member of Faculty: Faculty of Arts, Media & Social Sciences From January 1998 to September 2010
- Associate Member of Research Institute: Adelphi Research Institute for Creative Arts & Sciences (ADELPHI) From January 1998 to December 2009
- Full Member of Research Centre: Creative Technology & Communications From January 2010 to present.
- LOOK Chair of the Board - Liverpool International Photography Festival