Salford Business School
After graduating from The University of Manchester, Kathy joined a large national firm of Chartered Accountants and qualified as a Chartered Accountant with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). She went on to work for the Audit Commission in the role of Senior Associate.
In July 2002 she joined the University of Salford working on the BSc (Hons) Finance and Accounting degree as lecturer and Level 6 tutor, and additionally taught the Association of Certified Accountants (ACCA) professional exams.
Kathy has contributed significantly, on two occasions (2008 and 2012), to the academic review of curriculum design and development of Salford Business School.
In 2007 Kathy was promoted to Senior Lecturer and between May 2007 and August 2014, Kathy was the Programme Director for BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance.
Under her Directorship the BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance programme has enjoyed a considerable number of noteworthy successes at a national and regional level including:
-Ranked 1st place nationally for student satisfaction in Accounting and Finance undergraduate programmes in the Sunday Times University Guide based on the 2014 National Student Survey (NSS)
-Ranked 2nd place nationally in the Guardian League Table for Accounting and Finance undergraduate programmes in 2013/14
-Consistently ranked, for the seven years of her directorship, as the number one Accounting and Finance undergraduate programme in the Northwest of England in the National Student Survey (NSS)
-Ranked as the number three Accounting and Finance undergraduate programme nationally in the National Student Survey (NSS)
-Consistent annual student satisfaction of 96% plus in the National Student Survey (NSS)
-The award of “Gold Star” status from the University of Salford Student Union in 2012
She also has the role of Associate Director of Admissions
- 2004 University Merit Award for Outstanding Teaching
- 2009 Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Excellence Award
- 2012 Vice-Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award
- 2013 Shortlisted (3 on list) by University of Salford Students Union for “Best Teacher Award”
Kathy has been an external examiner at Liverpool John Moores University, Manchester Metropolitan University and Bournemouth University.
She has been subject validation specialist for new programmes at Liverpool John Moores University, Manchester Metropolitan University, Bournemouth University and Blackburn College
Kathy has been a member of ICAEW since 1992
Taxation consultant with the Sino-Bridge Taxation Bureau of China
Assistant Examiner for the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA)
Past and Present
- Accounting (Level 7)
- Advanced Financial Accounting (Level 6)
- Business Taxation (Level 6)
- Management Accounting for Control (Level 6)
- Financial Accounting (Level 5)
- Financial and Management Information Systems (Level 5)
- Principles of Accounting (Level 4)
In August 2014 Kathy commenced work on her PhD which involves the examination of student experience in Higher Education using a postmodern perspective and employing, among others, the work of Michel Foucault and Jacques Derrida.
- BSc (Hons) Bacteriology and Virology (2/1) - The University of Manchester
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education – The University of Manchester
- Master of Research - The University of Salford
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)