School of Health and Society
Jo graduated as an Occupational Therapist from the University of Liverpool in 1986 and has 28 years' experience of working within physical rehabilitation both in acute hospital services and community rehabilitation. Jo is a Senior Lecturer within the Directorate of Occupational Therapy at the University of Salford, UK with 18 years teaching and research experience, gaining her MSc in Health Practice in 2006 and completing the Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice in 2012, becoming a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Teaching and research interests are focused around Moving and Handling training, physical rehabilitation techniques, splinting and rheumatology, pressure ulcer prevention, functional continence and emotional intelligence with several research publications and editorship of the 6th Edition of "Occupational Therapy for Physical Dysfunction: Enabling Occupations" (Curtin, Molineux and Supyk-Mellson (2006). Jo teaches splinting techniques at The Artesis School of Occupational Therapy in Antwerp as part of the ERASMUS scheme.
Jo's research interests around Moving and Handling and toileting have forged several strong partnerships including Prism medical UK, A1 Risk Solutions Ltd and Mobility with Dignity. Her passion for the promotion of dignity in personal care has enabled the development and patent protected moving and handling device (Klip-2-Lift) to facilitate safe moving and handling as an alternative to traditional slings.
Areas of research
Moving and Handling of People, Pressure Ulcer Prevention, Safe Assessment and Prescription of Slings and Hoists
- Moving and handling
- Models of Practice (Generic and intervention models of occupational therapy)
- Effective Therapy skills – assistive technology, splinting, activities of daily living, hand function and occupational performance
- Into Employment – Service redesign, SWOT analysis, Job applications and CV’s, Core skills of occupational therapy
- Moving and handling
- Pressure ulcer prevention and the impact of interface pressure in sitting
- Sling design and the impact on interface pressure
- Emotional Intelligence and the Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapy and splinting provision in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Functional Incontinence and the role of the Occupational Therapist
- MSc Health Practice (2002)
- Dip COT (1986)
- PGCAP (2013)
- ROT, BAOT, HCPC, ENOTHE, NBE