School of Health and Society
Lecturer in Mental Health
Gary joined the University of Salford in January 2017 after a long and successful career in the NHS as a Registered Mental Health Nurse (Qualified in 2002), Psychological Therapist and more recently Advanced Practitioner in Personality Disorder.
Gary has a unique and varied clinical career in mental health nursing which has followed new service initiatives in line with the modernisation of mental health services. He has worked in forensic medium secure units, mental health rehabilitation, crisis resolution and home treatment, early intervention in psychosis teams, psychological therapy services at both primary / secondary care levels and personality disorder services.
- Pre-Registration Nursing (Mental Health),
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy MSc,
- Nursing Associate Programme
- Member of the Research Theme
- Mental Health Nursing,
- Psychological Therapies,
- Qualitative Research Methods,
- Evidence Based Practice,
- Complex Cases
Personality Disorder Research, Recently complete an NIHR 3 year full time funded Clinical Doctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Manchester. Thesis is titled 'The Development of a Feasible and Acceptable Psychological Intervention for People with Personality Disorder Traits in Primary Care IAPT Services: Evidence, Identification and Theory Development.
Part of the University of Salford bidding team for recently funded EUROMAS collaboration titled 'Strengthening multi-professional competencies in mental health in an international context, through co-production with academics, students, service users and professionals'
Currently supporting a publication with NHS partners from the North West Boroughs Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust to evaluate a carer delivered mental health awareness programme.
Level 7 student supervision
- BSc (Hons) in the psychosocial management of psychosis (COPE)
- MSc in advanced practice interventions in mental health (COPE)
- PhD Thesis which awaits examination
- NMC Registered Mental Health Nurse
- BABCP accredited Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist