School of Health and Society
Lecturer in Social Work
Social worker in practice for 20 + years in Children and Families Social Work in both the voluntary and statutory sector, (Residential, Children with Disabilities, Fostering and Adoption, Child Protection, Domestic Violence).
Interested in community engagement at grassroots level and encouraging students to develop these skills during their education and training.
A love of music, dancing, concerts and theatre and supporting (watching!) my children in their sports activities; handball, football and rugby. An appreciation of good company, food and wine!
Areas of research
Social Work Education, Practice Learning, Community Engagement, Migration and Identity, Digital Learning (EMIS)
Module leader of Professional Capabilities Practice 2, preparing final year students for practice.
Skills Days equipping students with skills to aid with practice. Community Engagement: Refugees and People Seeking Asylum: co-delivering lectures with community practitioners and organising conferences to share current practice with community members and professionals.
Student Admissions: A member of the team who support the admissions programme to new students i.e. interview process.
Student Engagement: Supporting students to become involved in community projects.
- Community Engagement
- Black Feminist Theory and its use in understanding social work practice
- The ‘lived experience’ of Women of Colour
- Refugees and People Seeking Asylum
- Gypsy Roma Traveler Inclusion
- Social Work Practice Skills
- Supporting Roma Voice Project
- Collaboration to embed skills for employability
- Sharing the Ordsall Method
- 2015: Currently working toward PhD
- 2010: Post Graduate Certificate in Education (P.G.C.E.) - The University of Central Lancashire
- 2007: BA (Hons) Health and Social Care- The University of Salford
- 2006: Accredited Child Care Award (ACCA)- The University of Salford
- 1996: Diploma in Social Work- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Registered social worker with the Health Care Professionals Council SW50287
- 2016: Board member of Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit
- 2016: Panel member of Olive Branch Fostering