Open Access funding

At Salford, we are committed to a sustainable open access model, so we encourage researchers to make articles open access via the 'green' route: this means you deposit your author-accepted manuscript (AAM) in USIR when it's accepted, there's no APC to pay, and the article will be made openly available as soon as any embargo period required by your publisher ends. In many cases this will be the most suitable option and we can provide support and advice to help you decide where to publish.

However, if it is important for your work to be made open access immediately upon publication (via the paid 'Gold' route) we do have some limited funding. You can apply to the UKRI and Institutional Open Access Funds through to our application form as soon as your research output has been accepted for publication. The funds are limited and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis, subject to the eligibility criteria (see below) and Research Centre Director approval. This chart will help you to decide if Gold Open Access is your best option.

Open Access Support Fund - eligibility criteria

  1. To apply for funding to cover an open access fee, at least one of the article’s authors must be a current member of University of Salford academic staff.
  2. To be eligible for funding, an article must:
    a. Have been accepted for publication in a credible open access journal. Authors will be asked to run a quick ‘think, check, submit’ credibility check as part of the application.
    b. Be expected to be included in Salford’s REF2021 submission and assessed as 3* or 4* quality AND/OR
    c. Contain original research findings which need to be openly and immediately available in order to achieve their potential impact, i.e. need to be accessed by a non-academic audience unlikely to have access to journal subscriptions (e.g. school teachers, health professionals, industry leaders) and without embargo period.
    d. After publication, be actively shared and promoted amongst relevant audiences within and beyond academia. Authors will be asked to indicate how they plan to do this as part of the application.
  3. Applications will be checked by the Library Open Access team and Open access funding decisions will be made by the appropriate Research Centre Director, subject to the availability of funds.

Publisher agreements

We have agreements with several academic journal publishers which reduce or remove the cost of publishing open access in their journals. If you are publishing with any of the publishers who offer a discount you will still need to apply for open access funding using the online form. Contact us for advice to discuss your options in case funding is not available.

PublisherDiscount detailsHow to apply
SpringerUniversity of Salford authors are able to publish open access in Springer subscription journals that offer the Open Choice option without having to pay an APC. See the UK Read and Publish (Springer Compact) agreement for a full list of titles. Note: The Springer agreement does not cover journals published by Nature, who continue to charge open access fees for their titles. Via publisher website – no need to apply
WileyUniversity of Salford corresponding authors are able to publish open access in all Wiley journals. See the Open access agreement for Jisc institutions for more information.Via publisher website – no need to apply
SageUniversity of Salford corresponding authors are entitled to free open access in Sage subscription title. To ensure free open access email when you submit a paperOnline form
Taylor & Francis75% discount on most Taylor & Francis Open Select (hybrid) journals (approximate cost of £540)Online form
Frontiers5% discountOnline form
ACSSubscribing institution + individual ACS membership discountOnline form