How to publish Open Access

A person writes at a desk


You can make your published outputs openly available by sharing them in a repository, like USIR and/or through an open access journal or a journal that offers an open access option. These two approaches are often referred to as 'Green' and 'Gold' open access.

Green Open Access Publishing (Self-archiving in USIR)

Green Open Access is the deposit of peer-reviewed manuscripts into an Open Access repository. Publishers often have a required embargo period, which must expire before the manuscript can be made publicly available. Embargo periods differ in length from 6 - 36 months and vary in subject fields and this will affect when your manuscript will be able to be viewed and accessed. We can help you to find out how a publisher’s embargo might affect you.


What does self-archiving mean for you?

  • Upon acceptance, log into USIR and deposit your author accepted manuscript (AAM)
  • The USIR team will check the publisher copyright policy for you and make the paper available in USIR after the embargo period expires.

It will:

  • increase the availability and visibility of your work
  • remove the need to pay Open Access charges

Gold Open Access Publishing (pay to publish)

Free access to the final published versions of articles, immediately on publication. The publisher requires an Article Processing Charge (APC) which includes Open Access charges.

The Gold route to open access is also known as the author pays model. Papers are made immediately available for download from the journal website, at no cost to the reader. Costs are either recouped by the publisher by other means, or they will request that an Article Processing Charge (APC) be paid by the author, or the author's institution, upon acceptance for publication.

What does this mean for you?

  • Provides immediate access to journals as soon as they are published
  • Meets the requirement of certain funders.

The University has an Open Access Support fund that can help you pay for an Article Processing Charge once your paper has been accepted.

My research output is not a journal paper or conference proceeding - do I have to make it open access?

If your research output is in a different format (e.g. a monograph, a chapter in an edited book, a performance or a patent) you are not required to make it open access under either the University of Salford or REF policies. However, we do recommend that you make your research output open access if you can, and the next REF intends to recognise institutions that go beyond the minimum requirements of their policy.

Even if you choose not to make your output open access, you should create a record for your output in USIR and deposit the output or related files. USIR is the official collection of the University of Salford’s research outputs, and it is important that the records reflect the diversity of research that is undertaken.