Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SBS@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for tourism students
Books and Journals
The first place you should look is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. all our other books and journals can be found in Library Search
APA 7th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 1 Feb 2022, 11:00 amFinishes: 1 Feb 2022, 12:15 pmRemaining places: 22If you are nervous about speaking up in groups this session can help!
- Starts: 2 Feb 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 2 Feb 2022, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 36This workshop will help you understand what plagiarism is and how to avoid it in your work. Please note: This workshop is online.
- Starts: 3 Feb 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 3 Feb 2022, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 29This workshop will help you understand what referencing is, why we need to do it, when it is needed in your work and advice on how to reference using the APA 7th style. Please note: This workshop is online.
- Starts: 9 Feb 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 9 Feb 2022, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 47Find out about the key IT tools and services you need to get started at Salford.
- Starts: 10 Feb 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 10 Feb 2022, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 38Want to prove your MS Office IT skills? Find out how to gain Microsoft certified IT qualifications in applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint...You choose which exams to sit to become a Microsoft Office Specialist.
This webinar is delivered online.
- Starts: 15 Feb 2022, 5:00 pmFinishes: 15 Feb 2022, 6:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 5This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 25 January.
- Starts: 8 Feb 2022, 1:00 pmFinishes: 8 Feb 2022, 1:40 pmRemaining places: 21This online session for HAS students, offers an opportunity to ask any questions on how to find information for your studies and assessments.
- Starts: 16 Feb 2022, 2:00 pmFinishes: 16 Feb 2022, 3:30 pmRemaining places: 26EndNote is referencing software which can be used to manage your information sources and create citations and reference lists automatically and correctly. It is particularly useful for students working on large projects such as dissertations and theses.
Please note: This workshop is online.
- Starts: 21 Feb 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 21 Feb 2022, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 39This workshop is a live demo of how Library Search works and showcases what it can do to help you find information. This workshop will show you how to find and use Library Search, and will include tips on making the most of all of its features, saving you time! This workshop is online.