Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SBS@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for tourism students
Books and Journals
The first place you should look is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. all our other books and journals can be found in Library Search
APA 7th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 8 Oct 2021, 11:00 amFinishes: 8 Oct 2021, 12:00 pmRemaining places: 48The Writing Café is primarily a self-guided study space for students to work on assignments. It is based on the premise that good writing takes practice and reflection. This workshop will be delivered online.
- Starts: 8 Oct 2021, 2:00 pmFinishes: 8 Oct 2021, 3:00 pmVenue: Online, CollaborateRemaining places: 24For students who have been out of education for some time
- Starts: 20 Oct 2021, 12:00 pmFinishes: 20 Oct 2021, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 50This session is aimed at undergraduate and masters level students who wish to improve their critical thinking, reading and writing skills.
- Starts: 27 Sep 2021, 12:00 pmFinishes: 27 Sep 2021, 12:50 pmRemaining places: 22Find out about the key IT tools and services you need to get started at Salford.
- Starts: 29 Sep 2021, 5:00 pmFinishes: 29 Sep 2021, 5:50 pmRemaining places: 36Find out about the key IT tools and services you need to get started at Salford.
- Starts: 11 Oct 2021, 12:00 pmFinishes: 11 Oct 2021, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 40You choose what to study, where and when you learn. You set the pace. Find out how to use LinkedIn Learning’s online courses to build and improve your Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills. You'll be surprised to find out what you didn't know! Discover what else LinkedIn Learning has to offer.