Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SBS@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for Management students
Books and Journals
The first place you should look is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. all our other books and journals can be found in Library Search
- United Nations Global Compact - a voluntary initiative based on CEO commitments to implement universal sustainability principles and to take steps to support UN goals.
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- The British Library Business & Management Portal - Reports and other publications such as briefings, conference papers and case studies from a wide range of organisations active in the field of business and management research.
- International Chamber of Commerce
APA 7th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 30 Jun 2022, 10:00 amFinishes: 30 Jun 2022, 11:30 amRemaining places: 31This workshop will be delivered online. It is aimed primarily at students who are new to essay planning but will also be useful for anyone hoping to improve how they plan and structure their written work.
- Starts: 30 Jun 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 30 Jun 2022, 1:15 pmRemaining places: 21This workshop will help you understand what referencing is, why we need to do it, when it is needed in your work and advice on how to reference using the APA 7th (Harvard) style. This session does not cover OSCOLA, Chicago or MLA referencing styles. Please note: This workshop is online.
- Starts: 30 Jun 2022, 1:00 pmFinishes: 30 Jun 2022, 2:30 pmRemaining places: 36Are you worried about managing your workload? Have you been affected by critical feedback or received lower grades than you had hoped for? This workshop can help you to work through these situations positively and keep you connected to your studies. This workshop will be delivered online
- Starts: 13 Jul 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 13 Jul 2022, 1:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 5This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 22 June.
- Starts: 25 Jul 2022, 5:00 pmFinishes: 25 Jul 2022, 6:00 pmVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 10This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open 4 July.
- Starts: 5 Jul 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 5 Jul 2022, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 37This workshop will show you how to find and use electronic books (eBooks) in Library Search. This workshop will showcase eBooks and what they can do, and will include tips on using built-in tools to help save you time and advice on targeting your reading This workshop is online.
- Starts: 12 Jul 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 12 Jul 2022, 1:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Clifford Whitworth University Library, Clifford Whitworth Library, Learning Suite 1Remaining places: 16This workshop is a live demo of how Library Search works and showcases what it can do to help you find information. This workshop will show you how to find and use Library Search, and will include tips on making the most of all of its features, saving you time! This workshop is on campus.
- Starts: 14 Jul 2022, 2:00 pmFinishes: 14 Jul 2022, 4:00 pmVenue: Peel Park Campus, Clifford Whitworth University Library, CW Learning Suite 2Remaining places: 4EndNote 20 is software which can be used to manage your information sources and create citations and references automatically and correctly. It is particularly useful for students working on large projects such as dissertations and theses.