Whether you're a new student starting your first assignment, further on in your studies, or starting a research project, this page will help you find and use the best information for your subject. You will also find resources to help develop your academic, study and digital skills.
If you can’t find what you need here, please contact your Academic Support Team: library-SBS@salford.ac.uk
Key resources for Digital Business students
Books & Journals
The first place you should look is your reading list – you will find a link to this in your Blackboard modules. It lists all the core texts for your subject as recommended by your lecturers. all our other books and journals can be found in Library Search
APA 7th (Harvard) style is the main referencing style in use at the University. We've compiled an easy to follow list of guidebooks and examples to help you get to grips with complexities of referencing.
Newspapers are a valuable source of information. They provide insight into what interests and concerns people both now and in the past.
The Library provides some excellent newspaper sources that allow you to search simply and easily across many newspapers at once.
Dissertations and Theses
During the course of your studies, you may find that you need to search for dissertations or theses.
You can use Library Search to help you find them and there are a number of different ways to search, depending on what you want to find.
Book a one to one
If you’ve tried our eLearning and classroom sessions and need more help, you can request a one to one appointment for information finding, academic and writing or digital skills. Select your chosen time slot and book on through Advantage.
Book on a workshop
We offer a wide range of face-to-face skills training. If you need to improve your IT skills, learn how to find information for your assignments or improve your study skills this is a great place to start.
All workshops are bookable through Advantage by clicking on the workshop title. Where a session has no remaining spaces you can add yourself to the waiting list.
- Starts: 17 Jan 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 17 Jan 2022, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 46This session is aimed at undergraduate and master's level students who wish to improve their critical thinking, reading and writing skills. Please note: this workshop is online.
- Starts: 18 Jan 2022, 11:00 amFinishes: 18 Jan 2022, 12:15 pmRemaining places: 34This workshop will help you understand what plagiarism is and how to avoid it in your work. Please note: This workshop is online.
- Starts: 18 Jan 2022, 4:00 pmFinishes: 18 Jan 2022, 5:15 pmRemaining places: 33If you are wondering what a literature review is and how you might approach writing one, this workshop is for you.
- Starts: 17 Jan 2022, 12:00 pmFinishes: 17 Jan 2022, 1:00 pmRemaining places: 12Find out about the key IT tools and services you need to get started at Salford.
- Starts: 18 Jan 2022, 10:00 amFinishes: 18 Jan 2022, 11:00 amVenue: MOS Exam - Certiport exam providerRemaining places: 8This is an online EXAM SESSION for Microsoft Office Specialist certification. When booking you MUST have registered on the MOS programme AND scored 70% plus in GMetrix's 'Testing' mode in your chosen application. Bookings not meeting this criteria will be cancelled. Bookings open now.
- Starts: 24 Jan 2022, 10:00 amFinishes: 24 Jan 2022, 11:00 amRemaining places: 44Find out about the key IT tools and services you need to get started at Salford.
- Starts: 19 Jan 2022, 2:00 pmFinishes: 19 Jan 2022, 3:30 pmRemaining places: 11EndNote is referencing software which can be used to manage your information sources and create citations and reference lists automatically and correctly. It is particularly useful for students working on large projects such as dissertations and theses.
Please note: This workshop is online.
- Starts: 20 Jan 2022, 11:00 amFinishes: 20 Jan 2022, 12:00 pmRemaining places: 35This workshop will show you how to find and use electronic books (eBooks) in Library Search. This workshop will showcase eBooks and what they can do, and will include tips on using built-in tools to help save you time and advice on targeting your reading This workshop is online.
- Starts: 25 Jan 2022, 11:30 amFinishes: 25 Jan 2022, 12:45 pmRemaining places: 32This workshop will help you understand what referencing is, why we need to do it, when it is needed in your work and advice on how to reference using the APA 7th style. Please note: This workshop is online.