Skip to main content
The Library

Help with your subject


Every school has an Academic Support Librarian assigned to provide specialised expertise.

Choose a Subject  

The Library provides a wide range of resources to help you find and manage the large amounts of information you will need to undertake your research. We also have resources to help you disseminate your research output so that it achieves optimum visibility and impact. We can help you identify these resources and use them effectively.

Research training and information skills

A programme of IT skills training suitable for researchers is delivered throughout the year. These sessions are free, but places are limited so you must book in advance.

  • IT Skills Courses - a range of free courses in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
  • Online Training - workbooks and interactive tutorials are also available for more self-paced learning.

One-to-One Support - please email the Academic Support Librarian for your subject if you have a query about finding information in your subject area or would like to arrange one-to-one support.

Salford Postgraduate Research Training Programme (SPoRT) - The Research and Graduate College offers an extensive range of training activities to help postgraduate students develop their research and transferable skills. This programme has been designed to equip researchers both for their university studies, and for their future careers whether in academia, elsewhere in the public sector, or in industry and the private sector.

Bibliographic referencing

Accuracy in referencing every piece of literature you use during the course of your research is essential.

There are major two systems of referencing: Numeric, where citations in the body of your text are indicated by numbers; and Author-Date (also known as parenthetical or Harvard), where the in-text citations are in the form of the author & date of the article enclosed in parentheses. Within these two main systems there are many different styles.

  • A PhD thesis is a peer-reviewed document, and therefore you must use the referencing style that is appropriate for your discipline. Your supervisor will be able to advise you which style you should use.
  • Academic journals often have their own referencing style, so before you submit an article for publication you should check which style is required. You can find out what this is by looking at the journal's 'instructions for authors' page, which you will find either within the journal or on the publisher's website.

For more advice about avoiding plagiarism and referencing, see:

Legal Citations

Students in the Salford Law School should use the Oxford Standard for Citation Of Legal Authorities style:

For help, please see the Subject Support page for Law.


EndNote is a bibliographic management software package which allows you to create your own personal database of references, known as an EndNote 'Library'. EndNote will:

  • Store all the references that you find during your research. They can be entered manually or downloaded from most databases.
  • Store PDF files, pictures, graphs, tables, etc.
  • Allow you to organise the information you find.
  • Work with MS Word to create citations and bibliographies automatically in any output style (including APA, Chicago, MLA, Vancouver, as well as thousands of styles for academic journals).
  • Work with PowerPoint to insert citations and references into your presentations.

EndNote X7 is available on all PCs in the University’s open access PC suites.

If you wish to obtain EndNote X7 for a ‘personal’ University-networked computer in an office or postgraduate room:

  • Email and ask to be put on the EndNote User Group.
  • You will need to tell them your network username and University of Salford email address.
  • If you require EndNote for Macintosh include this in your email to ITS Service Desk too.

EndNote Training

The Academic Support Team run regular training sessions for EndNote. These are free, but places are limited so you must book.

The following workbooks are available:

EndNote Web

EndNote Web is a web-based version of EndNote. It is not as sophisticated as the full EndNote software and is not recommended for a lengthy document such as a thesis. However it is free, and can be used anywhere you have internet access.

Disseminating your research

Disseminate your research output to give it maximum visibility and impact.


University of Salford's Institutional Repository (USIR) uses indexing that is picked up by search engines, placing your work in USIR means that it easy for others to find.
For help see Depositing Research Material in the University of Salford Institutional Repository (USIR) [pdf].

Journal Citation Reports

This is a comprehensive resource that allows you to evaluate and compare journals using citation data drawn from over 7,500 scholarly and technical journals, which includes virtually all areas of science, technology, and social sciences. Citation and article counts are important indicators of how frequently current researchers are using individual journals.
Journal Citation Reports can show you the most frequently cited journals in a field, the highest impact journals in a field, and the largest journals in a field.
If you are thinking of publishing an article it is a useful tool to help you decide which journals you could submit your paper to, for maximum impact.
To use Journal Citation Reports go to: Once in JCR, see the 'Information for New Users' link for information about using the service.


Bibliometrics is a term used to describe the statistical analysis of the impact of research; bibliometric methods can be used to measure the impact of an academic journal article, the impact of a group of researchers, or the impact of a field of research. Most typically, bibliometrics are used to analyse the number of citations a journal article receives in subsequent articles, thus indicating the impact the original article had on future research in that field.
For more information see Bibliometrics [pdf].


The Library receives a print copy of every Doctoral and Masters by Research thesis, which you can find via Library Search.


We have a collection of full-text Electronic Theses on USIR. This includes both past and present theses written by postgraduate researchers and staff at Salford.
If you are currently undertaking a Doctoral Degree or Masters by Research Degree you will need to submit a copy of your completed thesis to USIR. You should deposit the final, passed version of your thesis, with all corrections included and permission obtained for any 3rd party copyrighted material you might have used. Please see the guide Depositing your e-Thesis in USIR for advice about what is required.
If you are nearing completion of your degree and would like help putting your thesis in USIR please take a look at our Research Support section.

Finding Theses

See Finding Theses [pdf] for advice about finding theses from the University of Salford, and other universities both in the UK and worldwide.

Writing a thesis

The following titles may be of interest.

Theses in Progress

There is no single listing of theses currently being researched and written, but some useful sites to try are:

We can work with you to make sure you're getting the most from our library services. We'll identify the services you require and discuss how our stock can meet your needs. We can provide advice on library policies and standards and we will attend committees to discuss issues relating to library services.

Our expertise can benefit your strategic plans. Please contact us if you're planning to make any business change that may affect your library service requirements, e.g. teaching and learning initiatives, new buildings, new equipment, training requirements, Information literacy advice, bibliometric advice.

How do I borrow items?

The Self Service machines are available for you to issue items to your account. They are easy to use with clear on-screen instructions. Simply scan your ID card, and then scan the barcode of each item that you wish to borrow.

Remember to collect a receipt or press the Cancel button on the touch screen to complete the transaction. If you leave your account logged in on the self-service machines it is possible that others could use your account to borrow library items and these items will then be your responsibility.

How many items can I borrow?

Undergraduates 25 items
Final year undergraduates 35 items
Postgraduates 35 items
External borrowers 4 items

How long can I borrow items for?

All items are loaned for one week at a time and are subject to automatic renewals up to a maximum of 52 weeks. Students with extended loan status have a loan period of 2 weeks between renewals.

Northern Collaboration Undergraduate Borrowing Scheme (UBS)

This scheme has been introduced as a pilot for the 2014/2015 academic year. It will allow full-time undergraduate students from participating institutions to borrow material from other participating Northern Collaboration libraries.

The participating institutions are:

  • Cumbria University
  • Edge Hill University
  • Huddersfield University
  • Liverpool Hope University
  • Salford University
  • Teesside University

All you need to do is apply for SCONUL Access, complete the steps and choose Reference access.

You will receive an email confirming your SCONUL application and also a second email detailing where you will be able to borrow from (at present just the above six Universities are involved but we are hoping that this will increase).

Just take your SCONUL confirmation email, Salford ID Card and Northern Collaboration email to any of the above Universities and they will set you up with an account which will allow you borrowing rights.

Each Library will have different borrowing levels so please check with staff how many items you can borrow.

For all other universities full-time undergraduate students will only be able to gain reference access to material and will not be able to borrow.

SCONUL Access - Borrowing at other libraries

SCONUL Access is a scheme which allows many university library users to borrow or use books and journals from participating university libraries in close proximity to where you live or work. Further information is available from the SCONUL Access web site.

  • Part-time, distance learning and placement students may borrow material from other college or university libraries
  • Full-time postgraduates may borrow material from other college or university libraries
  • Postgraduate research students registered for a PhD, MPhil or similar qualification may borrow material from other college or university libraries
  • Full-time University of Salford undergraduate students may use resources of other college and university libraries for reference only

To qualify for SCONUL Access, you must be registered as a library user in good standing (including no debts on your Library record). You will also need a University of Salford student ID card.

To register for SCONUL Access:

  • From the SCONUL Access web pages, specify which type of user you are and your home institution (University of Salford).
  • Identify the institution you wish to use (tip: select ‘see results as a list’ to view all 162 participating universities and colleges).
  • Complete the online application form.

You will need to complete an application for each institution you wish to use.

Once you have filled in the on-line application form, and your application is approved, the University of Salford library will send you an confirmation email, which introducing you to your chosen host library/ libraries. This is only valid for a short period to ensure users are still eligible. If you don’t use the introductory email within this period, you will need to apply again.

You need to take a copy of the introductory e-mail with you when you visit your chosen library, along with your University of Salford ID card. This will allow other libraries to identify you as a bona fide member of the scheme.

Tip: You should check the website of the library you want to visit for their opening hours and other specific conditions. For example, your first visit may need to be during office hours or you may need to supply a passport sized photograph.

The host library should issue you with a library card, which will allow you to use facilities until your SCONUL Access membership expires. The membership can be valid for up to three years or until your course or contract ends if earlier.

How do I return items?

At MediaCityUK

Use the Self Service machines to return items. Just follow their on-screen instructions.

  • Select the Return items option on screen - you do not use your ID card to return items.
  • Place the item into the opening at the front of the machine.
  • Place each item into the appropriate yellow or black slot, as indicated on the screen.
  • Collect a receipt to complete the transaction.

At Clifford Whitworth

Use the dedicated return units found on the ground floor.

  • Return each item into the slot at the front of the machine
  • You can choose to have a receipt printed

Do I need to return items at the site I borrowed them from?

The majority of items can be returned to any library by using the Self Service machines, which are available at all sites.

There are some items, however, that must be returned to the site of issue, and these include:

  • Overnight
  • 4 hour and 24 hour loans
  • Document Delivery loans - these must be returned to the Support Desk.

What happens if I'm late returning or renewing an item?

If you are late returning an item you will incur charges only if the item is requested by another user. See Charges for more information.

What happens if I've lost a library item?

If you have lost a library item that was issued to your library account you should inform us as soon a possible.
See Fines & charges for more information.

You can find out about the new automatic renewals service on LibAnswers

You can request one week and normal loan items using Library Search, to be delivered to the Library site of your choosing.

How do I request using Library Search?

To place a request:

  • Sign in to Library Search using the 'Sign in' link at the top of the screen. You will need your Network username and password.
  • Search and display the item.
  • Click on the Get it tab.
  • Click on request.
  • Enter pickup* details and click on Request button.
  • Click on Place request, and the Requests screen will be displayed.
  • Click on Confirm.
  • If your request is successful, you will see the message: 'Successfully placed request' followed by details of the request.

*You cannot request a pickup location for an item that is equal to the item home site if items are currently available for loan.

How will I know that it is available?

You will be sent an email when your request is ready for collection. It will be placed on the Request shelf for you for seven days.

Where do I collect an item that I have requested?

Your item is held on the open access Request shelves according to your network username. The item will have a request slip wrapped around it with your network username printed on the spine. Once you have located your item(s) they can be issued on a Self Service machine.

You will find Request shelves near the Support Desk at each library.

I can't find the item on the shelf - what should I do?

If Library Search indicates that a copy of the item you want is available for loan but you cannot find it on the shelf then you will need to visit the library support desk and ask staff to set up a manual request.

Library staff will carry out a shelf check before placing a request on the system for you. The next available copy of the item will placed on the Request shelf and you will be notified by email that it will be held for you for seven days.

Can I check on my requests?

Select the My account option via Library Search. Click on the Requests link to display information about the progress of your requests. If you have any queries contact the Support Desk.

What happens if an item I have on loan is requested?

If you have an item on loan and another person would like to use it, they can place a request on it. Once an item is requested, you will not be able to renew it and you will have to return it by the due date. If you do not return the item you will incur fines against it. Please see the Fines and charges tab for more information.

I'm unable to request an item

Check the following before contacting the Student Support Desk:

  • Have you entered your borrower number correctly?
    It's the number below the barcode on your University ID card.
  • Are copies available on the shelves?
    You will not be able to request an item if the pickup location is the same as the items location and it is currently available on the shelves.
  • Do you have outstanding fines or charges on your account? You can check this via My account.

The University library will not charge fines on overdue items if the item is not requested by another user. Requested items will accrue fines as normal.

Return or renew items on time

By regularly viewing your library account you can check for return due dates. It is important to keep up with due dates in case of the following:

  • a loaned item is requested - you will not be able to renew this item and should return it as soon as possible. Requested items will accrue fines.
  • a loaned item is invoiced - you will no longer be able to renew this item and it will need to be returned to the library. Invoiced items will also block your account and prevent the borrowing of new material.

If you haven't finished with an item then there are a number of ways to renew it. Please see the renewing tab for more details.

Will the library let me know when items are due for return?

As a courtesy service, reminders are sent to your University email account at regular intervals but it is your responsibility to ensure that items are returned or renewed on time.

You can access your online Library account at any time to check when items are due for return, and if you have incurred any fines or charges.

How much are library fines?

You will only be charged when items are requested. Fines are charged at a rate of:

  • 50p per day for one week loan items
  • If an item is very overdue a Student Debtors Statement charging you the replacement cost of the items will be raised by the University - this will prevent registration of the next year of your course and may prevent the award of your degree.

What happens if I have a fine?

Failure to return or renew your items will result in increasing fines. You will not be able to borrow any items until all fines and invoices have been cleared.

What happens if I lose an item?

If you have lost an item you will be charged for a replacement.

Please note that the replacement cost charge is a minimum of £15 per item.

Once an item has been paid for your account can be cleared and fines relating to the items will be waived. If an item for which the replacement cost has been paid is subsequently found and returned to the library you will be entitled to a refund.

How do I pay a fine?

You can pay your fine in the library at the self service kiosks either in cash or by credit or debit card. The self service machines do give change if you do not have the right money.

You can now also pay fines online via the my account feature in Library Search. Access your account, go to the fines and fees section and follow the on screen instructions.

Has the library got rid of fines?

Yes and no, but mainly yes. We no longer charge fines on books that go overdue. The only exception to this is where a book has been requested by another borrower – in that case we will continue to charge fines as an incentive to get the book back.

Why has the library made this change?

The purpose of library fines is to ensure that library stock is available to those that require it. However if no-one else requires a book it’s not clear why failing to click a renew button on our website is a punishable offence. Therefore it seems reasonable only to charge fines on those books that have been requested by another borrower.

What happens when one of my books goes overdue?

You will get regular reminders asking you to renew the book. If you don’t renew the book within five weeks we will contact you with an invoice asking you to pay to replace the book. If the book is returned / renewed promptly at this point the invoice will be cancelled.

What happens if someone else requests one of the books I have on loan?

You will be contacted by email and asked to return the book by its due date. If you fail to return the book by its due date fines will be charged. Fine rates can be found here.

How do I request a book on loan to someone else?

By clicking on the request button on the item screen in Library search. More information on this can be found here.