Skip to main content


Following the referendum in June 2016, where the outcome was a decision for the UK to leave the European Union (EU), we want to reassure colleagues and students that, at this stage, nothing has changed in relation to their ability to work or study in the UK.

This page holds the latest information for our staff and students in relation to Brexit. This page will regularly be checked to ensure it is up to date. Frequently Asked Questions are available below, if however you have any further queries, members of staff should contact or email HR Advice with your concern, students should contact AskUs in the first instance.

Please be assured that the University will continue through its representative body to lobby and work with Parliament and policymakers to ensure the best outcome for UK higher education post Brexit.

You can also see many relevant Frequently Asked Questions on the Universities UK (UUK) website by clicking here at

Brexit Updates

26th June 2017 - The Government have published a detailed paper outlining its negotiating offer for EU citizens in the UK on their rights and status after the UK leaves the EU. The details can be found by clicking here

29th March 2017 - A message from our Chief Operating Officer:

Triggering of Article 50 - update on Brexit

Existing non-UK EU Staff

On June 26th 2017 the UK Government published a detailed paper outlining its negotiating offer for EU citizens in the UK. They have also produced a summary document called Rights of EU Citizens in the UK which you may find useful to download.

Nothing has changed in relation to your ability to work in the UK. If there were to be any changes to your ability to work in the UK in the future, it is unlikely these will come into place until formal agreements have been reached in relation to issues such as freedom of movement. The immigration status of non-UK EU staff has not changed as a result of the referendum so there will be no immediate impact on employment status. We continue to welcome and value our colleagues from the EU and wider as part of our community.

European Workers can be divided up into 2 categories, each of whom have separate rules governing their status within the UK. These categories consist of those who have lived in the UK for more than 5 years, and those who have lived in the UK for less than 5 years.

Employees who have less than 5 years’ residency in the UK

Although it is not mandatory - It is helpful for EEA Nationals and their family members who have lived in the UK for less than 5 years to apply for Registration Certificates. Registration Certificates are a proof that someone has a right to live in the UK. A Registration certificate costs £65, and the application is made on form EEAQP for the individual workers, and EEAFM for family members.

Employees who have more than 5 years’ residency in the UK

After an employee, has worked in the UK for more than 5 years they are entitled to apply for Permanent Residence. Again, individuals do not need to apply for this certificate to prove they have the right to live in the UK permanently, however this document is useful to help an individual claim certain benefits, and is necessary if an EEA employee would like to apply for British Citizenship.

Whether this is the right action for you to take will depend on your personal circumstances. Information is available on the government website.

If you are considering applying for permanent residency then you may find it useful to review the Government guidance on applying for permanent residence

If you want to find out more information or guidance about European Economic Area (EEA) national qualified persons information please visit's page here

Nothing has changed in relation to your ability to receive NHS medical care in the UK. Again if there were to be any changes in the future relating to access to medical care, we would not expect these to come into place until formal agreements had been reached regarding the status of EU citizens in the UK.

If anyone has any concerns at all please do contact your line manager who will be able to seek advice from your HR business partner or email HR Advice.

All UoS employees can access personal support from the University’s Employee Assistance Programme on a confidential basis. The EAP website offers a wealth of information on a diverse range of topics, including:

  • Home life  
  • Work Life  
  • Emotional Health  
  • Physical Health  
  • Managers' Support  

To find out more about the EAP web resource, click here.

In addition to the web resource, there is also access to a free, confidential telephone support helpline.  If you wish to contact the Support Helpline, call 0800 716 017.  All enquiries are dealt with in the strictest confidence.

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.