- I am a registered nurse and Health Visitor, with a qualification in Family Planning. I am a qualified teacher with 21 years of experience working in higher education. I am also a qualified Consellor and practice on a voluntary basis for three hours per week.
- I have a particular interest in public health and evidence based practice and have experience of research both in the UK and Australia at national level.
- I am particularly interested in research looking at effective practice outcomes and also developing the requisite skills for advance practice roles in the field of nursing.
- I have experience as a critical reviewer and external examiner/verifier and I am currently studying ILM 5 coaching & mentoring practice.
- Programme Leader for BSc (Hons) Nursing Studies 'top up' degree (formerly known as Enhancing Professional Health Care Practice),
- Module team member Critially Exploring Professional Practice, Evidence Based Practice for Patient Care,
- Dissertation supervisor.
- Public Health,
- Evidence Based Practice,
- Professional Preparation for Advancing Nursing Practice,
- Counselling Skills and Practice.
- Public Health
- Health Promotion
- Health Education
- Evidence Based Practice
- Nurse Education
- Developing Advanced Nursing Practice
Qualifications and Memberships
- Registered Nurse
- Registered Health Visitor
- Family Planning Nurse ENB
- MSc Health Promotion
- PG Dip Health Visiting
- PG Cert Education (HE)
- PG Diploma (Distinction) Counselling & Psychotherapy (Accredited)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health
- Member of the BACP
- Member of the RCN
- Senate University of Salford (Elected)
- Branch Secretary for Salford Branch of UCU (Elected)
Franks, H. (2014). The contribution of nurse consultants in England to the public health leadership agenda, Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23 (23-24), pp.3434-3448.
Franks, H & Howarth, M. (2012). Daring to be Different: A Qualitative Study Exploring the Education Needs of the Nurse Consultant, Nurse Education Today, 32, pp.406-411.
Franks, H & Howarth, M. (2012). Being an effective nurse consultant: What does it take? . Journal of Nursing Management, 20, pp.847-857.
Franks, H & Hardiker, N R & McGrath, M & McQuarrie, C. (2012). Public health interventions and behaviour change: Reviewing the grey literature. Public Health.
Ball, E & Franks, H & Leigh, J & Jenkins, M & McGrath, M. (2009). Annotation is a valuable tool to enhance learning and assessment in student essays. Nurse Education Today, 29(3), pp.284-291.