Lecturer in Social Work ( Practice Learning)
My practice career was as a probation officer with over 20 years’ experience. I made the transition to HEI in 2006 and have a focus in Practice Education.
My teaching reflects my social work practice experience and research interests. I module lead in practice learning across BA and MA programmes, developing and sustaining practice learning opportunities and being responsible for quality assurance processes. I deliver teaching to prepare students for professional practice.
I teach qualified social workers on the Practice Educator for Professional Standards For Social Work course.
I am an off-site practice educator.
- Practice Education,
- professional practice,
- student experience,
- quality assurance processes,
- community engagement.
- Practice education
- The role of non traditional placements in providing quality placements - including direct engagement with young people (aged 16 to 26) on their perception of being supported by student social workers
- The role of the criminal justice system in social work
- Collaboration with the student body
- Mental health practice education services
- Salford CYP Heif project - Collaborating with young people to develop the CYP@Salford strategy for inclusion and participation in education and research activity. Direct engagement with young people (aged 13 to 16)
- Recent activity: Promoting diversity and inclusiveness in dementia services in Salford. The experience of black students in practice education. HEIF Community Engagement project. Developing student recording skills in electronic systems.
Qualifications and Memberships
I am a registered social worker with the HCPC (registration number: SW81506) and a HCPC
2013 Fellow of Higher Education Academy
2009 University of Salford PostGraduate Certificate in Higher Education and Research
2007 University of Salford Practice Teachers Award
1990 Sheffield University Post Graduate Certificate Women's Studies
1984 Sheffield Hallam University BA (Hons) Applied Social Studies with CQSW
Ahmed, A & Wilding, M & Haworth, R & McCaughan, S 2017, 'Promoting diversity and inclusiveness in dementia services in Salford', for: Salford CVS, University of Salford, Manchester, UK
McLaughlin, H & Scholar, H, McCaughan, S & Coleman, A 2015, 'Are Non-Traditional Social Work Placements Second-Best Learning Opportunities for Social Work Qualifying Students? 'British Journal of Social Work (2015) vol.45(5), 1469-1488
McLaughlin, H & Scholar, H, McCaughan, S & Coleman, A 2014 Learning to Be a Social Worker in a Non-traditional Placement: Critical Reflections on Social Work, Professional Identity and Social Work Education in England Social Work Education: the international journal (2014) vol.3(8), 998 -1016
Higher Education Innovation funded project (2013/14) CYP@Salford Livesley J., McAndrew S., Hadi J., Vasillica C., McCaughan S., Long T., Lee A., Murphy M., Haines C., Collaborating with young people to develop the CYP@Salford strategy for young people’s inclusion and participation in education and research activity
McCaughan,S, Anderson, M, & Jones, W (2013) ‘ Social work education in the creative arts space’ Journal of Practice Teaching & Learning 12(1), pp.34-52.