Dr Claire Mercer
Interim Director Radiography
Claire Mercer qualified as a Radiographer in 1995 from S. Martin’s College, Lancaster. She worked in as a Radiographer for 5 years and then progressed into the field of Mammography. She developed into an advanced practitioner followed by Superintendent and completed her MSc with distinction in Advanced Medical Imaging in 2011. The following year Claire completed her PhD at the University of Salford. Her research work is centred on practitioner variation in breast compression and Claire has published several papers in this area. She is currently Interim Director of Radiography at the University of Salford.
- Lecturer in Radiography, 2015-Present
- Postgraduate Programme Leader: Advanced Medical Imaging, 2017-Present
- PhD and MSc Supervision/Assessment 2014-Present
- MSc Supervision: Dental Implantology Programme 2018 onwards
Other Academic Activity:
- Organising Committee Member Symposium Mammographicum 2018
- External Examiner, Mammography Queen Margaret University.
Diagnostic Imaging Research Programme (DIRP), UK 2010-Present
- Breast Imaging
Qualifications and Memberships
1995 BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography
University of S. Martins, Lancaster
2011 MSc Advanced Medical Imaging (Radiograpy) with Distinction
University of Salford
University of Salford
2016 Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
University of Salford
SoR membership number: 46815
HCPC registration number: RA35028
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Hauge I, Hogg P, Szczepura K, McGill GG, Connolly P, Mercer C, 2012, The readout thickness versus the measured thickness for a range of screen film mammography and full-field digital mammography units, Medical Physics, 39, 1, 2012
- Mercer C.E:Surviving Digital Transformation Part 1. June 2012.Synergy News. ISSN http://synergynews.sor.org/node/2409
- Mercer C.E Surviving Digital Transformation Part 2. July 2012.Synergy News. ISSN1741 4245 http://synergynews.sor.org/node/2458
- Hogg P, Taylor M, Szczupera K, Mercer C and Denton E, 2012, Pressure and breast thickness in mammography—an exploratory calibration study, British Journal of Radiology, 2013, DOI: 10.1259/bjr.20120222
- Mercer CE, Hogg P, Lawson R, Diffey J, Denton ERE. Practitioner compression force variability in mammography: a preliminary study. Br J Radiol Feb 2013;86:20110596
- Julie O’Rourke, Laura Starr, Claire Mercer. Blurred Image? March 2013. Imaging and Therapy Practice.
- Hogg P, Mercer C, Maxwell A, Robinson L, Kelly J and Murphy F, Controversies in Compression, Imaging and Oncology, 2013, Imaging and Oncology, 28-36, ISBN 9871 871101581
- Mercer C.E. Hogg P, Szczepura K, Denton E.R.E, Practitioner compression force variation in mammography: A 6-year study, Radiography, Volume 19, Issue 3, August 2013, Pages 200-206
- Mercer C, Hogg, P, Does an increase in compression force really improve visual image quality in mammography? – An initial investigation Radiography, Radiography, 19 (4), 363–365. doi:10.1016/j.radi.2013.07.002
- Mercer C, Hogg P, Kelly J, Borgen R, Enion D, Hilton B, Whelehan P & Millington S (2013) A mammography image set for research purpose utilizing BI-RADS density classification. Radiologic technology, 85 (6), 609–613.
- Mercer C.E, Hogg P, Szczepura K, Kelly J, Brogen R, Denton ERE, Millington S, Hilton B. A Multicentre Study of Compression Force in Mammography: Practitioner Variation and Client Effects.
- Mercer, C.E., Szczepura, K., Kelly, J., Millington, S.R., Hilton, B., & Hogg, P. (2015). A 6-year study of mammographic compression force: Practitioner variability within and between screening sites. Radiography, 21 (1), 68-73. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2014.07.004
- Hogg, P., Kelly, J. and Mercer, C. eds., 2015. Digital mammography: a holistic approach. Springer.
- Smith, H., Mercer. C.E, Maxwell, A., Hogg, P (2015). Does elevating image receptor increase breast receptor footprint and improve pressure balance? Radiography. November 21(4) 359–363 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2015.02.001
- Mercer, C.E., Cassidy, S., Hogg, P. (2016). Letter to Editor: Radiography. Vol 22 (1), Feb 101-102
- Kinnear, L., Mercer, C.E. (2016). Blurred Lines. Imaging and Therapy Practice. Feb 23-28. ISSN: 1360-5518
- Ma WKE, McEntee MF, Mercer C, Kelly J, Millington S, Hogg P. Analysis of motion during the breast clamping phase of mammography. Br J Radiol 2016; 89: 20150715.
- Jefford, L., Griffiths, M., Mercer C. (2016). Incorporating a ‘same day stereotactic biopsy service’ within a mammography assessment clinic facilitated through audit process. Imaging and Therapy Practice. March 2016
- Robinson, L., Coward, J., De Labouchere, S., Lowe, J., Mercer, C., Palmqvist, C., Tavakol, P. (2017) Peer observation of facilitation. In: Hogg, P., Hogg-Thompson R., Buissink C (2017). OPTIMAX 2016: Optimising Image Quality for Medical Imaging http://usir.salford.ac.uk/41428/1/OPTIMAX%202016%20final%20version.pdf
- B. Scragg, S. Shaikh, L. Robinson,C. Mercer (2017). Mixed messages: An evaluation of NHS Trust Social Media policies in the North West of England. Radiography
- Beverley Scragg, Shaheeda Sheikh, Geraldine Shires, Julie Stein Hodgins, Claire Mercer, Leslie Robinson, Julie Wray (2017) An exploration of mammographers’ attitudes towards the use of Social Media for providing breast screening information to clients. Radiography.
- Raed M.Ali, Andrew England, PhD; Claire E Mercer, PhD; Andrew K Tootell, MSc; Lucy A Walton, PhD; Peter Hogg, MPhil. European Journal of Radiology. Mathematical modelling of radiation-induced cancer risk from breast screening by mammography
- Abdullah AK, Kelly J, Thompson JD, Mercer CE, Aspin R, Hogg P. The impact of simulated motion blur on lesion detection performance in fullfield digital mammography. Br J Radiol 2017; 90: 20160871 https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20160871
- Clitheroe Kimberley., Mercer, Claire. (2017). The Continuing Challenges of Breast Compression. August 2017 Imaging and Therapy Practice.
- Abdullah AK., John D Thompson; Claire E Mercer; Judith Kelly; Rob Aspin; Peter Hogg (2017): A comparison of single and combined observer data for the detection of masses and microcalcifications in full-field digital mammography
- Hill C., Mercer C. (2017). Social Media CPD for Mammographers. Spectrum, Australian Journal of Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy. October 2017.