We are thrilled to announce the University is creating a number of teams to design, build and race our own electric cars in the Greenpower Electric Car Challenge; and we need you!
Whatever your skills, from business and marketing to aerodynamics, fashion, graphic design and autonomous systems, there's a place for you in our Greenpower team.
The challenge is recognised and valued by industry leaders and experts and will provide valuable real-world experience, helping you stand out and get ahead in your chosen career.
WHAT CAN YOU DO AS PART OF A GREENPOWER TEAM?
Don’t fancy speeding around a racetrack or grappling with a chassis? No problem! Whatever your skills, from business and marketing to aerodynamics and graphic design, there's a place for you in our Greenpower team.
- Mechanical, Aeronautical and Electrical Engineering – of course to compete against the best in the industry, we need the best Salford engineers to design and build our car. This is your chance to show your skills to top employers in the sector!
- Graphic Design and Fashion – we need graphic designers and fashion students to create the look and feel for the car livery, come up with a name and brand, and design the all-important team uniforms.
- Journalism, Broadcast Media and Photography – we want this to be a project the whole university can get behind, so we need creative communicators to keep everyone updated with blogs, vlogs and news reports. We also want to create a buzz around the project with promo videos and a documentary following the team’s progress.
- Sports Science and Psychology of Sport – as well as working to make sure the driver is ergonomically positioned, our Greenpower teams need to have the winning mind set and stay mentally and physically fighting fit and at the top of our game!
- Marketing, Business & Management & Accounting and Finance – to be successful, our Greenpower teams will need strong team management and leadership, excellent project management, and good accountancy and budget planning. We also need to create a website and an effective and compelling marketing programme to attract partners and sponsors.
At the launch you will hear from our Vice Chancellor, Professor Helen Marshall & our ICZ Director of Engineering & Environments as well as top industry professionals from Prodrive, Siemens and Jaguar Land Rover about how the scheme operates and how and why to get involved.
Continuing after the launch event, this collaboration will see students from across the University work in multi-disciplinary teams to design, build and race single-seat electric cars.
There will be opportunities for all students during this exciting project in everything from business and marketing to aerodynamics, graphic design and autonomous systems.
Greenpower Teams compete against industry teams (including JLR, Lockheed, Cummins, and Perkins) and other Universities from across the world, affording crucial industry-relevant experience for the students.
On the day we are excited to have a number of Greenpower cars on display from both Jaguar Land Rover and the team at Sandbach High School and College, who are Greenpower International Champions 2016.
If you're interested in joining us, please register your interest using the form below.