The University’s Estates department are currently developing a Masterplan in conjunction with Salford City Council.
To deliver the masterplan the University have appointed local architects and masterplaners 5plus Architects. The process is currently at the consultation phase, this process has involved all departments across the University and the City Council.
The University key drivers for the masterplan are to:
- Establish the Principles and Drivers for the masterplan – underpinned by the University’s Development Framework and Corporate Plan.
- Interpret the Academic Vision and the ICZ’s through the transformation of the physical estate.
- Embed projects and investment within a robust development framework.
Two of the key areas the masterplan is going to focus on are:
Improving the Student Experience:
- Embedding industrial collaboration into the student experience and linking with the ICZ programme.
- Improving the campus as an amenity – investment in sport, social, recreational and student centre learning facilities
- Maximising the campus assets of ‘Rail Connectivity’; ‘Peel Park and the Meadows’; Heritage Buildings (Peel) ; Cultural; Gateway opportunity.
Placemaking – creating a great place to live, work and play:
- Working with the City to establish the drivers to create a new city and academic district that links with the wider community.
- Part of this story includes investment into the quality of existing and new buildings on campus but also the integration of a wider city vision, including residential, schools, sports and health provision.
The next steps for the masterplan are;
- To complete the consultation process
- Deliver options workshops
- Develop emerging opportunities
- Obtain feedback from key stakeholders, for the two points above.
- From this feedback develop preferred options
- Final Masterplan Preparation