Knowing how to avoid scams, spam and phishing is a critical life skill. Fortunately, simple safety measures will help you dodge the risks.
- Slow down, spammers want you to act first and think later. If the message conveys a sense of urgency, or uses high-pressure sales tactics be skeptical; never let their urgency influence your careful review.
- Do not open emails which you suspect as being scams.
- Do not open attachments from unknown sources.
- Do not readily click on links in emails from unknown sources. Instead, roll your mouse pointer over the link to reveal its true destination, displayed in the bottom left corner of your screen. Beware if this is different from what is displayed in the text of the link from the email.
- Do not respond to emails from unknown sources.
- Check junk mail folders regularly in case a legitimate email gets through by mistake.
If you have any doubts about the validity of an email, contact Digital IT