Spam email is the electronic equivalent of junk mail. The term refers to unsolicited, and often unwanted material which is at best, annoying and at worst, malicious – causing considerable harm to your computer and yourself.
How to spot Spam
Spam emails may feature some of the following warning signs:
- You don’t know the sender.
- Contains misspellings designed to fool spam filters.
- Makes an offer that seems too good to be true.
- The subject line and contents do not match.
- Contains an urgent offer end date (for example “Buy now and get 50% off”).
- Contains a request to forward an email to multiple people, and may offer money for doing so.
- Contains a virus warning.
- Contains attachments, which could include .exe files.