Coronavirus information for prospective International students


This page was updated on 12/11/2020

We have created this page for all of our prospective international students and offer holders who want to study at the University of Salford in 2020/21. 

We will keep this page updated with answers to your frequently asked questions.

The health and wellbeing of our students, staff and partners is our number one priority. So, we are continuing to follow the guidance of the UK government, Public Health England and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and taking the necessary steps to keep our vibrant community safe.

We are aware of fake news reports being circulated on social media. Please ignore these fake reports and instead keep checking our advice on this page and on our official social media channels for the latest information. 

As well as Prospective International Students FAQs found below, you can also find information at:

  • Undergraduate courses changes due to COVID-19 - check if your course has been affected in terms of content, duration, method of assessment/delivery or anything else.
  • Postgraduate courses changes due to COVID-19  - check if your course has been affected in terms of content, duration, method of assessment/delivery or anything else.
  • International Offer Holder Hub – explore what life at Salford is like to help you make your decision, and to understand your next steps. Find information on funding your course, get a glimpse of where you could choose to live in your first year, and speak to some of our current students.
  • Current Student Hub – if you are a current international student please refer to the advice on the Student Hub.

Find our latest advice for prospective international students below, this will include information about: 

  • The UK and the University of Salford’s response to COVID-19 
  • Resources for your safety
  • Teaching and facilities 
  • English language requirements
  • Tuition fee deposits, scholarships and discounts,
  • CAS, ATAS, and Student Route Visas
  • Accommodation
  • International travel
  • Prepare for self-isolation

You also find information about campus safety on this video from 21 July, and answers to your frequently asked questions by watching this recording of our live Q&A event from 4 June. Students in China can access these videos on Youku


The UK and the University of Salford’s response to COVID-19 

What is the current situation in the UK concerning COVID-19? 

All citizens must follow this simple advice:

  • HANDS - wash your hands
  • FACE - wear a face covering
  • SPACE - keep a 2-metre distance from other people where possible

From 5 November, the UK Government introduced new national restrictions in England to avoid the spread of the virus.
The new measures will apply nationally for four weeks up to Wednesday 2 December.
There will then be new advice for different regions of England which will be based on region-specific data.
During the national restrictions, you must not leave or be outside of your home, except for specific purposes.
You can leave your house to attend university, attend work and volunteering, for essential activities (such as shopping for food, collecting medicines, accessing public services), for exercise, and for medical reasons.

For the latest information, about the national restrictions visit the Government website.

What is the response from the UK universities?

The Education and Universities Ministers of the four countries of the United Kingdom (UK) (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) wrote a letter to prospective international students looking to study in the UK. Read the letter

You can also view a letter which has been written to all UK universities from the UK government, which outlines the latest support and updates regarding visas. Read the letter

You can also view the letter from the UK Government to students in response to the national restrictions. Read the letter.  

Resources for your safety

NHS COVID-19 Track and Trace app/GP facilities/Testing centre

If you are living on campus or nearby, you should register with the University of Salford's Medical Centre or check some alternative options.

To help keep you and everyone else on campus safe and informed, we ask that you please download and use the NHS Contact Tracing free app. The app is the fastest way of knowing when you're at risk of coronavirus. You can also find advice, check your symptoms, arrange a test, and avoid contact tracing forms using the QR scanner at public venues. Download the app.

If you have COVID-19 symptoms, you can get a free test via the NHS. Find out more. On this page, you’ll also be able to book an appointment to get tested at the new Salford-based Covid-19 testing centre located on the ground floor of Humphrey Booth House in Salford Crescent and open from 8 am to 8 pm, seven days a week.

Where can I find information on the safety measures at the University?

We have put together a special Stay Safe resource page to provide new students with an induction to our safety measures.
Current students will also find updated information on the Student Hub (if you aren't a current student you won't be able to access this, and should use the Stay Safe page.

Where can my parents find information about the safety measures at the University? 

We have put together a special Family and Friends page to provide your family and friends reassurance on our safety measures. 

Teaching and facilities

How will teaching take place safely? 

Please be reassured that providing our students with hands-on, practical learning experience is something we strongly value at Salford.  
We aim to give you as much of a normal campus experience as possible, whilst complying with government safety guidelines.
The University offers a blended approach to teaching and learning, with a mix of face-to-face and online sessions, as long as it is safe to do so.

Below is a list of the safety measures we have put into place on campus in accordance with the current government guidelines:

  • Large lectures and seminars will be online, you’ll be able to watch these sessions live or at a time that suits you; 
  • Alongside this, there will be discussion opportunities where you can ask questions and interact with your lecturers and other students, combined with on-campus smaller face-to-face sessions to talk through and test your understanding and carry out practical work.
  • We will provide you with a face covering at the start of term, and there may be circumstances where staff/students will be expected to wear them. We will give you specific details closer to your start date;
  • Hand sanitiser stations are located at the entrance to all buildings;
  • Changes to use of lifts/elevators – only one person at a time should use them, with the option to use the stairs;
  • One-way routes round the buildings;
  • Signage to indicate how to move around the buildings safely;
  • Socially-distanced seating within classrooms.

>> Watch this video to discover more about our plans for teaching and learning and campus safety (updated 21 July). Students in China can access this video on Youku

How will my course be affected?

To comply with government safety guidelines, such as social distancing and travel restrictions, we have had to make some adjustments to some of our courses.
For example, this may include some lectures being taught online, changes to how you will access facilities, or adjustments to planned field trips.

For more information on how undergraduate courses have been affected, visit the undergraduate course changes page.

For more information on how postgraduate courses have been affected, visit the postgraduate course changes page.

Can I use the library safely?

Our Library is a massive online national and international resource. This means you can access books wherever you are and whenever you need them.

You’ll still be able to take books out but you won’t be able to browse shelves. There are also one-way routes in and out of the building.

You’ll be able to loan laptops and we are just planning the measures for cleaning these safely. 

Further information on opening times and how things will work.

COVID-secure study spaces with PCs are available in the Clifford Whitworth Library. To keep you as safe as possible while working in the Library, we’ve had to reduce the number of spaces available and our usual group-working and social learning spaces are not currently available. If you want to be guaranteed a space, it’s best to book in advance. For further info, please visit the Library website.

Will there be places I can get food and drink on campus?

Our shops and food outlets will be open, but there will be policies in place to ensure your safety. This includes screens at the checkouts and staff wearing face covers (they will still be smiling behind them!).

We will also be encouraging students to make payments through bank cards and self-scan services and we are using test and trace.

There will also be heightened cleaning regimes taking place in all of our outlets.

For further info and opening times please visit the Salfood website.

How can I access other facilities safely, such as the Students' Union?

Most of the Students' Union staff are working remotely. You can still get in touch with the SU and the Advice Centre without visiting campus. Find out more about how to get in touch on the SU website.

Your SU Student Officer team are still available to you and you can contact them by email or via the SU inbox. Find their details.

You can stay connected with the SU by following them on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook; it’s @salfordSU.

During the national restrictions, the Sports Centre will be closed.  However, you can find a range of exercise videos to workout at home on their website.

English language requirements

IELTS centres are closed in my country. Do you accept any other English language qualifications?

We accept other equivalent qualifications ore evidence of English language. Please go to English language requirements to find out more.

Tuition fee deposit, scholarships, discounts

I have an offer and I have paid my tuition fee deposit, however, due to concerns on COVID-19 I would prefer not to travel and study away from home. What are my options? 

We understand the changing position of COVID-19 may affect your decision to study.
1. You can defer your admission to the next intake. Please go to your course page
to find the next available intake.
2. If you prefer to decline your application due to COVID-19 concerns, your tuition fee deposit will be refundable. Please email  including your name, student ID number, course you have applied for, and request a refund of your deposit. 

Do you offer any scholarships for international students? 

Yes. Over the past five years, we have awarded more than £5 million in scholarships and bursaries to support high-achieving international students. You could be a scholarship award winner. Explore our scholarships.

Do you offer any discounts on tuition fees? 

Yes. If you choose to pay in full, we offer a prompt payment discount of 3% on the net fee remaining after any scholarship has been applied.  
If you pay your tuition fees in full, you are advised to pay the net amount minus the 3% discount before you apply for your CAS as this can show positively on your visa application.  

CAS, ATAS, and Student Route Visas

Are Visa Offices open for appointments? 

Visa Application Centres are open across most locations. For the latest updates go to TLS Contact if you’re in Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East, or visit VFS Global for all other countries.

Can you issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)? 

Once you have fulfilled your academic conditions and paid your deposit, the CAS team will contact you to start the CAS process.

I need an ATAS. How do I apply?

You must apply to the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO). 
Applications are now being accepted and there is up to a 30-day wait so please complete your application as soon as possible to meet the conditions of your offer.

When will there be any more details on the new Graduate Immigration Route (post-study work visa)? 

The UK Government’s immigration update in April confirmed that a new graduate immigration route will be available to international students who have completed a degree in the UK from summer 2021. You’ll be able to work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for up to 2 years. You can find more information on the UK Government's factsheet.



How can I find out about accommodation?

For support with booking accommodation, visit our accommodation page or contact the Accommodation team at

What are the local student accommodation providers?

Campus Living Villages (CLV) manages our on-campus accommodation at Peel Park, John Lester Court and Eddie Colman Court
Other nearby student accommodation include:
Tramways - (Sanctuary Student Homes):
Riverside House:
IQ Student Accommodation:
Mears Group - Bramall Court:
X1 The Campus & X1 Chapel Street:
Manchester Student Homes:

Do I need to book accommodation before I travel?

You must book accommodation for the duration of your studies at the University of Salford before you travel, not just for your 14-day self-isolation period.
You must include the address of your accommodation on both your visa application and your Public Health Passenger Locator Form (which if the form you must complete before you travel to the UK).

If you haven’t secured accommodation before you travel you must arrange temporary hotel accommodation. This list of temporary accommodation might be helpful.

Below is a list of local hotels where our students have previously stayed. You can select the dates you need to match with your flight arrivals, giving you more flexibility.
You will need a credit card to secure your booking

Ibis Manchester Centre – Princess Street
To Book, please email:

Ibis Styles – Portland Street
Book here.

Holiday Inn Manchester – City Centre (Aytoun Street)
Book here.
They are also offering a special offer.

I am travelling from a country where I will need to self-isolate (quarantine), can I self-isolate in my accommodation?

For information about self-isolation, please see the section below called “International travel, travelling from the airport and self-isolation".

International travel

What should I consider in my travel plan to the UK?

  • Before you travel you must:
  • Review the official guidance of your home country relating to travel to the UK
  • Review the latest UK Government guidance at UK Government – Entering the UK 
  • Complete the Passenger Locator Form and bring a copy with you
  • Confirm your accommodation and travel from the airport
  • Review our Prepare for Self-isolation advice
  • Bring a face mask and hand sanitise
  • Bring an international credit or debit card to avoid using cash and to use during your self-isolation period
  • Check your travel and health insurance

Guidance and advice are subject to change, so it is important that you keep up to date throughout your international travel planning.

What are the current rules for travelling to the UK?

If you’re a resident or visitor travelling to the UK from any country, you must follow the UK Government rules for England.

You must provide your journey and contact details before you travel to the UK using the Public Health Passenger Locator Form.

You are not allowed to leave the place where you’re staying for the first 14 days you’re in the UK (known as ‘self-isolating’/quarantine) unless you’re arriving from an exempt country.

You may be fined up to £100 if you refuse to provide your contact details. You may be fined more if you break this rule more than once. You may also be fined up to £1,000 if you refuse to self-isolate, or you could face further action.

What do I need to know about the Public Health Passenger Locator Form?

You must complete this form online before you arrive in the UK from any country. The form includes your passport details, travel details, and the address you’ll be staying at for your first 14 days in the UK, and details of someone who can be contacted if you get ill while you’re in the UK.

You cannot submit the form until 48 hours before you’re due to arrive in the UK.

You will need to show a copy of the completed form, so print out a copy and keep it with your travel documents, or have it available on your phone.

Border Force officers will use the QR code at the top of the document to check you have completed the form successfully.

The government will use the information you give to contact you if you or someone you’ve travelled with develops coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, and to check that you are self-isolating at your specified address.

Travelling from the airport

How can I travel by air to Manchester Airport in the UK?

When arranging your air travel, you should travel to Manchester Airport. This is the nearest airport to the University of Salford.

Airlines vary from country to country and more scheduled flights are becoming available including British Airways, Virgin, KLM, Air France, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Hainan.

I am arriving in London, can I then travel to Manchester and then start my self-isolation?

Yes, you should arrange a connecting flight from London to Manchester Airport and it is recommended to arrange this as part of your international flight.

You would go through immigration in London, and then transfer on a connecting flight to Manchester. Flights from London to Manchester are approximately 40 minutes. 

You should book the free taxi transfer to the University of Salford campus or to your student accommodation in Salford or Manchester using the details of your arrival in Manchester.

(See 'How can I travel from the airport in the UK to my accommodation safely?').

I am arriving in London, and I will need to stay overnight before my connecting flight to Manchester. Can I do this and then start my self-isolation in Salford?

You should aim to get a connecting flight as soon as possible. However, if you have a long connection time, the rules are that if it is necessary, you can stop overnight in safe accommodation (for example, an airport hotel) before continuing your journey.

For example, if you arrive late at London Heathrow and your flight to Manchester is not until the next day you can stay in an airport hotel for one night, and then travel onward to Manchester Airport and start your self-isolation/quarantine from Manchester.

You would need to book the airport hotel in advance. Airport hotels can be expensive so plan your budget accordingly.

You must go straight to your airport hotel, and you must not leave until you need to return to the airport for your connecting flight.

You must provide the address of the airport hotel on your Public Health Passenger Locator Form in addition to your declared accommodation address. So you would enter both addresses – the airport hotel, and your accommodation in Salford/Manchester.

How can I travel from the airport in the UK to my accommodation safely?

Travelling from Manchester Airport to your accommodation in Salford or Manchester - If you are travelling into Manchester airport, you can get a free taxi transfer to the University of Salford campus or to your student accommodation in Salford or Manchester.

To use our taxi service you must book at least 72 hours in advance using the booking form on the welcome site. You will need your University ID, flight details and accommodation address to complete the booking form.

Travelling from London or other airports to your accommodation in Salford or Manchester 

If you are travelling in London Heathrow or any other airport, you must book a connecting flight to Manchester Airport. You can arrange this connection on the same booking as your international flight.

You can then book a free taxi service to your accommodation or hotel from Manchester Airport.

Travelling from the airport when staying with friends or family in other cities outside Salford or Manchester 

You should arrange for your friends or family to collect you by car. Your friends or family will not be allowed in the airport building, so please arrange to meet them at the car in the designated area.

You must wear a face-covering in the airport, transport hubs and on public transport in England. You will be breaking the law if you fail to do so and could be fined. 

Please remember, if the UK Government regulations require you to self-isolate you must go straight to your accommodation and not stop in any other place on the way. You will be breaking the law if you fail to do so and could be fined. 

Prepare for self-isolation

What do I need to know about self-isolating when I travel to the UK?

When you arrive in the UK, it is very important that you stay in your accommodation for 14 days. This is called self-isolation (quarantine) and is necessary because it can take up to 14 days for you to develop coronavirus symptoms after you catch the virus and in this time you can unknowingly pass it on to others, even if you don’t have symptoms.

You must self-isolate at the address you provided on the Public Health Passenger Locator Form.

During your self-isolation period, you won't be able to attend the University of Salford, see other people or leave your accommodation except for very limited reasons.
You should prepare for the self-isolation period in advance and read the UK Government advice.

Self-isolation (quarantine) in your accommodation

You must book accommodation for the duration of your studies at the University of Salford before you travel, not just for your 14 day self-isolation period.

You can self-isolate in your student accommodation, at the home of your family or friends, private accommodation (for example, a private house share) or hotel.
Whatever your accommodation is for self-isolation, you should stay in a well-ventilated room with a window to the outside that can be opened, separate from other people.

Self-isolating at Campus Living Villages accommodation

If you are staying within a Campus Living Villages (CLV) accommodation building, and you need to self-isolate, please contact CLV on to arrange your two week self-isolation period. 

Self-isolating in student accommodation

If you are staying in alternative purpose-built student rental accommodation, and you need to self-isolate, contact your accommodation provider before you travel. 

Accommodation Providers:
Tramways - (Sanctuary Student Homes):
Riverside House:
IQ Student Accommodation:
Mears Group – Bramall Court:
X1 The Campus & X1 Chapel Street:
Manchester Student Homes:

Self-isolating when staying with friends and family

If you are staying with friends or family, you need to contact your friends or family before you travel to let them know you will be self-isolating for 14 days. You should go straight to your accommodation from the airport.  
Even though you will be self-isolating for 14 days, your friends and family do not need to stay at home (unless they travelled with you).
Please remember: if you self-isolate with friends and family outside the Salford area you must ensure you have booked accommodation in the Salford area for after your self-isolation period. You will be expected to live within commutable distance from the University of Salford and failure to comply with this will result in your visa being withdrawn.

Self-isolating in private rental accommodation

If you need to self-isolate, and you are staying in a private flat or house, you need to contact your landlord before you travel to let them know you will be self-isolating for 14 days. Your landlord or flatmates may be able to tell you about the facilities in your accommodation, including internet access and local food shops with delivery options, which can help you prepare for your self-isolation period.
You must stay away from others who didn’t travel with you, so you should avoid shared spaces as much as possible, including kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas.
For example, your room does not have to have a bathroom attached, but you should consider other people in the house and use the amenities at different times and keep all areas clean. You can read about self-isolating in shared (multi-occupancy) accommodation.

If you have any concerns, you should consider staying in a hotel for your self-isolation period for 14 days before taking up your accommodation. Depending on the start date of your signed contract, this will be an extra cost and you will need to budget for this. 

Self-isolating in hotel accommodation 

If you need to self-isolate, and you are staying in a hotel or guesthouse, you need to confirm with your hotel that you will be self-isolating for 14 days.
You must stay away from others who didn’t travel with you, so it’s important that you don’t use shared areas such as bars, restaurants, health clubs and sports facilities.

If I need to self-isolate, what support is available?

You can register with the University as self-isolating, which will ensure you receive support from another student during your quarantine.
Complete this form and Salford students can chat to you during your self-isolation.
Our peer support volunteers are friendly, good listeners, and can help you with practical issues like getting groceries.


Need more support?

If you have any questions which aren’t covered here, please email our friendly international team at who will be able to support you. We will continue to add more frequently asked questions to this page as they are received.

We thank you for your patience and understanding during this time and we are sending our support and well-wishes to everyone around the world.