Dr Francis Li
I embarked on an academic career at Shanghai University in 1986, where I taught many key modules in the areas of electronics and computer engineering, carried out government and industry funded research, and was promoted to Head of Teaching and Research Group with 13 academic members of staff. I instigated the audio and lighting engineering programme and wrote a textbook on audio engineering as a result of teaching in this field in 1994-1995. Appointed Senior Lecturer in Computing at Manchester Metropolitan University in 2001, I then joined the University of Salford as Senior Lecturer in Audio Engineering and Acoustical signal processing in 2006. I currently teach several modules on BSc and MSc levels, lead the IoA (Institute of Acoustics) Diploma programme in acoustics and noise control at Salford Learning Centre, undertake several research projects, including projects funded by EPSRC, EU, Leverhulme Trust, the BBC, HMGCC, and supervise PhD students.
Over many years of my academic career, I have accumulated a broad spectrum of expertise and research interests including audio engineering, architectural and building acoustics, signal processing, artificial intelligence, soft-computing, data and voice communications, machine audition, speech technology, DSP applied to biomedical engineering, novel computer architecture, and control theory. But my major and long-standing research interest centres around signal processing, artificial intelligence and soft-computing applied to concert hall acoustics, speech processing, audio information retrieval, multi-platform broadcasting and machine audition.
I have published numerous research papers. I am a regular reviewer for several international journals, major conferences, Associate Editor-in-Chief for Signal Processing, one of the CSC Journals and Associate Technical Editor for the Journal of Audio Engineering Society.
Room acoustics (BSc), Digital signal processing (MSc), Web Broadcasting (MSc), General principle of acoustics (IoA Diploma ,not running this year).
Acoustical signal processing, concert hall acoustics, machine learning and artificial intelligence, speech technology, audio information mining, machine audition, DSP and acoustics applied to bio-medical engineering.
Qualifications and Memberships
PhD in the field of acoustical signal processing, artificial intelligence and architectural acoustics.
1. Iain R. Jackson, Paul Kendrick, Trevor J. Cox, Bruno M. Fazenda and Francis Li, Perceptual evaluation of the functional and aesthetic degradation of speech by wind noise during recording, Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics, ASA, Vol. 19, 060170 (2013)
2. M. Sarfraz and F. Li, Improve diagnostic accuracy by ICA denoising in ECG pattern recognition, to appear in Journal.
3. M Sturm, A T Moorhouse, T Alber, F F Li, Force reconstruction using an adaptive algorithm in time domain, In proceeding of: International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering (ISMA), At Leuven, Belgium,
4. Paul Kendrick, Trevor Cox, Francis Li, Bruno Fazenda, Iain Jackson, WIND-INDUCED MICROPHONE NOISE DETECTION – AUTOMATICALLY MONITORING THE AUDIO QUALITY OF FIELD RECORDINGS (with demo)
5. Muhammad M. Al-Maathidi1 and Francis F. Li, “NNET BASED AUDIO CONTENT CLASSIFICATION AND INDEXING SYSTEM “International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications (IJDIWC) 2(4): 66-78, 2012.
6. Muhammad M. Al-Maathidi and Francis F. Li, FEATURE SPACES AND MACHINE LEARNING REGIME FOR AUDIO CONTENT CLASSIFICATION AND INDEXING, Proc ICCNDT2012, pp. 335-347, 2012
8. D. Satongar, Y. W. Lam, F. Li, C. Dunn, “An Objective Investigation into the Auditory Localisation Cues Synthesised by Spatial Audio Systems”, 9th International Symposium on Modern Acoustics, Nanjing, China, May 2012.
9. D. Satongar, C. Dunn, Y.W. Lam, F.F. Li, Psychoacoustic Evaluation of Spatial Audio Reproduction Systems, pp 77-87, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics Volume 34 Part 4, November 2012
10. Y. W. Lam and F.F. Li, “Teaching Acoustics on Both Sides of the Pacific Invited contribution, Proc. Acoustics 2012, HK
11. M. Sarfraz, F. Li and M. Javed, A comparative study of ICA algorithms for ECG signal, processing ACAI '11 Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Computing and Artificial Intelligence, pp. 135-138, 2011.
12. F.F. Li “Using Synthesised Musical Stimuli to Measure Room Impulse Responses in Occupied Spaces”, The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 04/2012; 131(4):3357. DOI:10.1121/1.4708588
13. F.F. Li, “A Cognitive Model to Mimic an Aspect of Low Level Perception of Sound - Modeling Reverberation Perception by Statistical Signal Analysis”, Proc. IEEE IBICA pp. 348 – 351, ShenZhen, Dec. 2011, DOI: 10.1109/IBICA.2011.92.
14. I. R. Cushing, F. F. Li, T. J. Cox, K. Worrall and Tim Jacks on, “Vocal effort levels in anechoic conditions”, J. Applied Acoustics, Vol. 72, pp. 695–701, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.apacoust.2011.02.011.
15. F. F. Li, “Towards the Understanding of Acoustics of Auditoria in True In-use Condition -A review and outlook of techniques for occupied room acoustic measurements”, Proc. IoA, Vol. 33(2), pp 12-18, 2011.
16. M Serafini, F. F. Li T. J. Cox, A new method for occupied acoustic measurement using synthesized music” Proc. IoA, Vol. 33(2), pp 25-31, 2011.
17. Ian R. Cushing, Francis F. Li , Ken Worrall, Tim D. Jackson, “Relationships between Phonetic Features and Perceived Vocal Effort and Clarity – A Statistical Investigation from a large anechoic British English corpus, In INTERSPEECH-2011, pp. 2449-2452, Florence, Italy, August, 2011.
18. M Serafini, F. F. Li, Synthesised musical stimuli to enable occupied room impulse response measurement, Proc. IoA Vol. 33 Pt. 6, pp. 123-131, Nov. 2011.
19. F. F. Li, Characterising the Source: an Important Aspect of More Accurate and Meaningful Speech Intelligibility and Privacy Assessments, Proc. IoA Vol. 33. Pt. 6, pp. 101-111, Nov. 2011.
20. Mark Mann, Sam Davies, Francis Li and Trevor Cox, “Music Mood Classification of Television Theme Tunes”, Proc 12th international Society for music information retrieval conference, pp. 735-740, Oct 24-28 Miami, 2011.
21. M Serafini and F. F. Li, Feasibility of masked pseudo random sequences for occupied measurement in auditoria, Forum Acusticum, pp., 1881-1884, 2011
22. M. Sarfraz F. Li and M. Javed, “A comparative study of ICA algorithms for ECG signal processing”, ACAI '11 Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Computing and Artificial Intelligence, pp. 135-138, July 2011. doi>10.1145/2007052.2007079.
23. Francis F. Li, “Sound-Based Multimodal Person Identification from Signature and Voice”, Proceedings of the 2010 Fifth International Conference on Internet Monitoring and Protection, pp. 84-88, 2010, ISBN:978-0-7695-4023-8, IEEE Computer Society. DOI: 10.1109/ICIMP.2010.18.
24. Francis F. Li, “Intelligent and Adaptive Acoustics in Buildings via Blind Room Acoustic Parameter Estimation” proc. IEEE ICCET, v3. pp. 663-666, 2010, DOI: 10.1109/ICCET.2010.5485761
25. Massimo Serafini, Francis F. Li and Trevor J. Cox, “Occupied Measurement of Room Impulse Response- Feasibility and Limitations” in proceedings, Inter-noise 2010, June 2010
26. Francis F. Li, Massimo Serafini and Trevor J. Cox, “Room Impulse Response Measurement in the Presence of Non-trivial Noise” in proceedings, Inter-noise 2010, June 2010
27. Francis F. Li Paul Kendrick, Trevor J. Cox, “Machine Audition of Acoustics -Acoustic Channel Modeling and Room Acoustic Parameter Estimation” in W. Wang eds. Machine Audition, IGI Global, 2011. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-61520-919-4, ISBN13: 9781615209194, ISBN10: 1615209190.
28. M. Serafini, F. F. Li, ‘Impulse response measurement with chirp-lets and masked noise stimuli’, Proc. of IOA, Vol. 33. Pt.2, Dublin (May 2011).
29. I. R. Cushing, F. F. Li & T. J. Cox, “Speech Level Discrepancy around the Head of a Talker- A New Look at Lavalier and Handset Microphone Placement techniques”, Proc. Institute of Acoustics, Vol. 31. Pt 2. pp. 26-33, 2009.
30. F.F. Li, "Vocal effort level distribution in speech intelligibility and privacy assessment - The knowledgebase and necessary further work", in Proceedings Inter-noise 2009, in09_321, Ottawa, Canada, Aug 23-26, 2008 (invited).
31. Kendrick P, Cox TJ, Li FF, Zhang Y, Chambers JA, Monaural Room Acoustic Parameters from Music and Speech, J Acoust Soc Am. 2008 Jul;124(1):278-87
32. Yonggang Zhang, Jonathon A. Chambers, Paul Kendrick, Trevor J. Cox and Francis F. Li, A combined blind source separation and adaptive noise cancellation scheme with potential application in blind acoustic parameter extraction, Neurocomputing, Volume 71, Issues 10-12, June 2008, Pages 2127-2139
33. F. F. Li, T. J. Cox, P. Kendrick, Y. Zhang and J. A. Chambers, “Accurate Estimation of Reverberation Parameters with Natural Sound Source Stimuli,” RBA-07-015, Proc. 19th International Congress on Acoustics, Madrid, 2007, ISBN: 84-87985-12-2.
34. P. Kendrick, T. J. Cox, F. F. Li, Y. Zhang and J. A. Chambers, ‘Blind estimation of clarity, centre time and deutlichkeit from speech and music signals,’ RBA-07-013, Proc. 19th International Congress on Acoustics, Madrid, 2007, ISBN: 84-87985-12-2.
35. T.D. Jackson, F. F. Li and K. Yates, “Subordinate Audio Channels”, AES 122nd Convention Vienna, Austria, Preprint No. 7025, 2007
36. Kendrick, Paul; Li, Francis F.; Cox, Trevor J.; Zhang, Yonggang; Chambers, Jonathon A, Blind Estimation of Reverberation Parameters for Non-Diffuse Rooms, Acta Acustica united with Acustica, Volume 93, Number 5, September/October 2007 , pp. 760-770(11)
37. F. F. Li and T. J. Cox, “A Neural Network Model for Speech Intelligibility Quantification”, Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 7, Issue 1,pp. 145-155, January, 2007. (This journal paper was made available by science direct on line in July 2005)
38. Y. G. Zhang YG, J. A. Chambers, S. Sanei, P. Kendrick P, T. J. Cox, F. F. Li, “Acoustic parameter extraction from occupied rooms utilizing blind source separation,” “Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-verlag, ISSN 0302-9743, pp. 1208-1215, 2006.
39. Y. Zhang, J. A. Chambers, F. F. Li, P. Kendrick and T. J. Cox, “Blind estimation of reverberation time in occupied rooms” in the EUSIPCO 2006 proceedings, 2006.
40. T. J. Cox P. Kendrick, F. Li, J. Chambers and Y. Zhang. “Extracting room acoustic parameters from music”, Proc IoA, Vol. 28, Pt.2, pp. 82-88, 2006
41. P. Kendrick, T. J. Cox, Y. Zhang, J. A. Chambers and F. F. Li, “Room acoustic parameter extraction from music signals ”, Proceedings of IEEE ICCASP 2006, Vol 5, ISSN:1520-6149, ISBN: 1-4244-0469-X, pp. 801-804, 2006
42. N. Subramaniam, F. Li, D. Ingram and C. Mingham, “Generation of reflection-free numerical wave flume with PID active control”, Proc. Coastal Engineering 2006, Vol. 1, pp 812-820, ISBN-10: 9812706364, World Scientific Publishing, 2006
43. F. F. Li, “Estimation of intelligibility from received arbitrary speech signals with support vector machine”, proceedings of the 2005 IEEE international conference on Machine learning and cybernetics, (ICMCL 2005), Vol. 6, pp. 3755-3760, ISBN: 0-7803-9091-1, IEEE catalog no. 05EX1059, 2005
44. T. D. Jackson, K. Yates and F. F. Li, “Perceptually masked audio sub-channels and applications” in the Proceedings of IoA, Reproduced Sound, Vol. 7. Nov. 2005
45. T. D. Jackson, F. F. Li and K. Yates, “Hidden auxiliary media channels in audio signals by perceptually insignificant component replacement”, in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, ISBN: 0-7803-9331-7, pp. 17-20, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2005.
46. N. Subramaniam, F. Li, D. Ingram and C. Mingham, “A Comparative Study of Major Random Wave Separation Methods Applied to Boussinesq-type Numerical Wave Flumes”, in the CD proceedings of the Wave 2005.
47. F. F. Li, “The Discrete Cosine Transform and its Significance in Audio Technology and Room Acoustics”, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, Vol. 26, Pt. 8, ISBN 1 901656 67 5, ISSN 1478-6095, pp. 42-49, 2004
48. F. F. Li, “An effective algorithm for sound based handwriting authentication”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Signals and Electronic System (ICSES04) joint with International workshop on systems, signals and image processing (IWSSIP04), ISBN 83-906074-8-4, pp. 439-442, September 13-15, 2004 Poznan, Poland.
49. F. F. Li, “Towards a unified framework for machine assessment of speech intelligibility”, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Signals and Electronic System (ICSES04) joint with International workshop on systems, signals and image processing (IWSSIP04), ISBN 83-906074-8-4, pp. pp. 315-318 September 13-15, 2004 Poznan, Poland.
50. F. F. Li, “Handwriting Authentication by Envelopes of Sound Signatures”, in Proceedings of 17th IEEE international conference on pattern recognition ICPR2004, Cambridge, UK, 23-26, Aug. 2004, Vol. 1, pp. 401-404, ISBN 0-7695-2128-2.
51. T. D. Jackson, K. Yates and F. F. Li, “Watermarking and Copy Projection by Information Hiding in Soundtracks”, The Proceedings of the 15th International Conference 2004, pp. 265-274, ISBN 0-937803-52-9, June 17-19, 2004, London, UK.
52. F. F. Li, “Speech Intelligibility of VoIP to PSTN interworking – A key index for QoS”, IEE Conference Proceedings: Telecommunications Quality of Service (QoS04), ISBN 086341 3935, Savoy Place, London, pp. 104-108, March, 2004.
53. F. F. Li, “The complexity of speech intelligibility measurements in packetised transmission channels”, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, Vol. 25, Pt. 8, pp. 303-308, 2003
54. F. F. Li, “A stochastic model for sound effects in multimedia virtual rooms”, Proc. IEEE/EURASIP IWSSIP’ 03 Conference, Prague, Sept. 2003.
55. F. F. Li and T. J. Cox, “Speech transmission index from running speech: A neural network approach,” Journal of Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 113, Issue 4, pp.1999-2008, 2003
56. F. F. Li and T. J. Cox, “A neural network for blind identification of speech transmission index”, in the Proceedings of IEEE ICASSP2003’, v. II, pp. 757-760, 2003
57. F. Li and T. J. Cox, “A neural network model for speech intelligibility quantification”, Proc. 4th International Conference on Recent Advances in Soft Computing, pp. 91-92., also available on RASC 2002 CD ROM, Nottingham Dec., 2002. ISBN: 1-84233-0764. (Received invitation to submit a further extended version for publication in special issue of Journal of Applied Soft Computing.)
58. F. F. Li and T. J. Cox, “A hybrid neural network for blind identification of speech transmission channels”, in P. Liatsis Edits Recent Trends in Multimedia Information Processing, World Scientific Publishing, ISBN 981-238-242-7, 2002.
59. T. J. Cox, F. Li, and P. Darlington, “Extraction of room reverberation time from speech using artificial neural networks,” Journal of AES, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 219-230, 2001.
60. F. F. Li, “EMC of power suppliers for telecommunications by design – a computational approach”, Proc. IEE/IEEE 23rd International Telecommunications Energy Conference, pp. 636-639, Edinburgh, 2001.
61. T. Cox and F. Li, “Extracting STI from arbitrary running speech” Proc. of the Institute of Acoustics, Vol. 23(8), pp. 61-68, 2001.
62. T. Cox and F Li, “ Extraction of speech transmission index from speech signals using artificial neural networks”, AES 110th Convention, Amsterdam, Netherlands, preprint No. 5354, 2001
63. T. J. Cox and F. F. Li, “Using Artificial Intelligence to Enable Occupied Measurements of Concert Hall Parameters,” Proc. 17th ICA, 3A.08.05., Italy, 2001.
(Selected Publications from 1997-2000)
64. F. F. Li and T. J. Cox, “Extraction of room acoustic parameters from speech using artificial neural networks”, Proc. of the Institute of Acoustics, Vol. 22, Pt 6, pp. 53-60, 2000.
65. F. Li and T. J. Cox, “Predicting speech transmission index from speech signals using artificial neural networks,” Proc. World Multi-conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, SCI 2000’ Vol. 6-II, Florida, USA, pp. 43-47, 2000.
66. R. Thomas, F. Li and C. Garrett, “Prediction of radiated EMI from high frequency power converters” IEE conference publication No. 475, Proc. 8th International Conference on Power Electronics and Variable Speed drive, pp. 80-85, 2000.
67. S. Singh, F. Li, C Garrett and R, Thomas, “A study of sigma-delta modulation control strategies for multi-level voltage source converters”, IEE conference publication No. 456, Proc. 7th International Conference on Power Electronics and Variable Speed Drive, pp. 347-352, 1998.
68. F. Li, C. Garrett and R, Thomas, “A comparative study of signal modulation and control strategies for resonant types soft switching inverters” Proc. UPEC’97 Vol.1, pp. 499-502, 1997.
69. F. Li, S. Singh and R, Thomas, “A comparative study of signal modulation and control strategies for resonant types soft switching inverters” Proc. UPEC’97 Vol. 2, pp. 1053-1056, 1997.
Selected pre-1995 publications (main text in Chinese language)
70. F. Li, Fuzzy logic and its application in robust process control, National Electrical Engineering annual congress, 1994, Tianjing (project funded by Young Scientist Award)
71. F. Li, “A microcomputer based auto-test and measurement system for the low voltage electrical appliance manufacturing lines”, Journal of Microprocessors, No. 1, 1993.
72. F. Li, Z.W. Li and H. C. Jin, “The analysis and lessening of ISV in PLL controlled peripheral equipment spindle motors”, Journal of Computer Peripherals, (ISSN 1004-6313) No. 3, 1993.
73. F. Li, “Novel control of an opto-magnetic drive”, Journal of Computer Peripherals, (ISSN 1004-6313) No. 3, 1992.
74. F. Li, “Cancellation of moving centre source in stereophonic recording”, Acoustics Association, Shanghai Chapter annual conference 1992 Shanghai
75. F. Li, “Design of Hi-Fi demonstration spaces: Arts or Science”, Acoustics Association Annual congress, 1991, Shanghai
76. F. Li, “The study and design of a high accuracy spindle motor servo control system for high performance optical disc drivers”, China Computer Association Annual Meeting, Hongzhou, 1989. (This work won the 1989 China National Electronics Association Award.)
77. F. Li and J. Lu, “An intelligent power line monitoring system”, National Electrical Engineering Congress, Beijing, 1990
Book: (Main text in Chinese Language)
Feng Li “Electroacoustical Technology and Audio Engineering” East China University Press, Oct. 1994, ISBN 7-5628-0537.7/TN