Work for yourself
Do you have a business idea that you need help with or are you looking to develop your business skills to make you more attractive to potential employers?
We can help you get your business idea off the ground
We are here to encourage and support individuals with a business idea, to develop their idea further, whether you want to work for yourself, start a social enterprise or work freelance.
Employers often look for students or graduates with an entrepreneurial mindset and adaptable business skills. They want people who can identify opportunities, demonstrate creative thinking and who are commercially minded. We run an exciting programme of events across the academic year providing opportunities for you to develop your business startup skills.
One to One Support
You can book a one to one with a Small Business Advisor to discuss your start up journey and receive business mentoring.
Start Up School
You can attend a full day's program of sessions including Masterclasses, discussions, Q&A panels with guest entrepreneurs. Start Up Schools are designed to help you to learn valuable skills that are essential for creating your own start up project, working for yourself or starting a business.
Exclusive pre-recorded Masterclasses on topics such as Business Planning, Market Research and Pitching are also available for you to view at your convenience online through your University Linkedin Learning account along with video tutorials and useful links and resources.
If you would like to be one of the first to know our latest news and events, sign up to our monthly newsletter.
We have a series of masterclasses on a wide range of topics designed to guide you through developing your skills and refining your idea, also available via LinkedIn Learning.
- Starts: 26 Oct 2021, 2:00 pmFinishes: 26 Oct 2021, 3:00 pmDevelop basic skills to deliver a business pitch persuasively
- Starts: 27 Oct 2021, 10:00 amFinishes: 27 Oct 2021, 1:00 pmVenue: Zoom Link to be providedLaunch Cohort 7 Induction
- Starts: 27 Oct 2021, 11:00 amFinishes: 27 Oct 2021, 12:00 pmLearn techniques to reflect on and improve your confidence and leadership skills
- Starts: 28 Oct 2021, 10:00 amFinishes: 28 Oct 2021, 1:00 pmVenue: Zoom Link to be providedLaunch Cohort 7 Induction
- Starts: 28 Oct 2021, 6:00 pmFinishes: 28 Oct 2021, 7:00 pmWorkshop exploring how to manage your time effectively for business
- Starts: 1 Nov 2021, 2:00 pmFinishes: 1 Nov 2021, 3:00 pmLearn why and how to start a Social Enterprise
- Starts: 2 Nov 2021, 8:00 pmFinishes: 2 Nov 2021, 9:00 pmLearn what you can do to start a business as a side project
- Starts: 3 Nov 2021, 10:00 amFinishes: 3 Nov 2021, 1:00 pmVenue: Zoom Link to be providedBusiness Development
- Starts: 9 Nov 2021, 1:00 pmFinishes: 9 Nov 2021, 2:00 pmLearn how to network effectively in person and online
- Starts: 9 Nov 2021, 2:00 pmFinishes: 9 Nov 2021, 3:00 pmLearn how to plan your career
- Starts: 10 Nov 2021, 10:00 amFinishes: 10 Nov 2021, 1:00 pmVenue: Zoom Link to be providedOnline Presence
- Starts: 16 Nov 2021, 2:00 pmFinishes: 16 Nov 2021, 3:00 pmWith so much noise going on in today’s media how are you going to get yourself heard and more importantly how can you ‘punch above your weight’ in a world full of information?
- Starts: 16 Nov 2021, 6:00 pmFinishes: 16 Nov 2021, 7:00 pmLearn how to plan your career
- Starts: 17 Nov 2021, 9:30 amFinishes: 17 Nov 2021, 1:30 pmVenue: Zoom Link to be providedSales/Securing your first 10 clients
- Starts: 18 Nov 2021, 6:00 pmFinishes: 18 Nov 2021, 7:00 pmThis workshop will aim to cover the challenging aspects of launching a successful enterprise.
- Starts: 22 Nov 2021, 2:00 pmFinishes: 22 Nov 2021, 3:00 pmAn introduction to the benefits of being self-employed and how to put a business idea into action
- Starts: 1 Dec 2021, 10:00 amFinishes: 1 Dec 2021, 1:00 pmVenue: Zoom Link to be providedPitching
- Starts: 19 Jan 2022, 10:00 amFinishes: 19 Jan 2022, 1:00 pmVenue: Zoom Link to be providedAction Learning is a process of insightful questioning and reflective listening.