Dr Yun Chen
Lecturer in Business IT
I have three-year teaching experience in information system development, programming languages, website design, research and quantitative methods at both Bachelor and Master levels.
I have teaching experiences in Foundation, BSc, Pre-Master and MSc courses, using a variety of teaching methods including lecturing, small group tutorial and e-learning.
- In Salford Business School, I have been teaching undergraduate students in various programmes for 4 years, such as Business IT, People and Computing, Rich Media etc. The subjects I am teaching are all about how to apply Information Technologies into business field (such as emerging creative technologies, website development technologies – (X)HTML, CSS, PHP etc.).
- I used to teach International Foundation course and Pre-master course in the University of Huddersfield, subjects including computing (C, C++, website design etc.), business research and quantitative methods.
- I also used to give lectures on 'Environmental Planning' & 'Research Methodology' to MSc Virtual City students in the School of the Built Environment both physically and online (using Elluminate).
I am currently supervising 3 PhD students (2 full-time and 1 part-time) in the field of information system/disruptive technologies in business context.
My PhD topic is 'Complex Information System Development'. I have been employed on three multi-million GBP/EURO projects from 2004 to 2012 which are:-
- Sustainable Urban Regeneration, SURegen (UK Government EPSRC funded, £2.5 Million, 2008-2012).
- Virtual Environmental Planning System, VEPs (E109, INTEREG 3b, €4.7 million 2004 -2008)
- IntelCities (FP7 IP, €6.8 million, 2004-2005)
My research interests also include: digital innovation and enterprise software in business, mobile commerce and app development, human-centred design and user experience, IT sustainability.
I am currently supervising a doctoral student on the topic of:
I would be interested in supervising future doctoral students in:
the general area of business information technology, impact of emerging technology on business, society and culture, information management and information system strategy in organization.
Qualifications and Memberships
Sept. 2009 – Mar. 2011: PG Cert in Higher Education Practice and Research, University of Salford, UK (Part-time) (Passed with grade 68%)
Apr. 2003 – Apr. 2007: PhD in Methodology for ePlanning Systems Development, University of Salford, UK (Awarded, with Overseas Research Scholarship)
Sept. 2001 – Dec. 2002: MSc. in Computation, UMIST, UK (Passed with Distinction)
Sept. 1997 – Jul. 2001: BSc. in Chemical Engineering and Mechanics, Beijing University of Chemical Technologies, China (Passed with First Class)
Sept. 2015 – Present: Member of Centre for Digital Business
Jul. 2011 – Present: Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)