Paid internship opportunities for students and graduates
Get paid to enhance your employability!
Are you a current University of Salford student or recent graduate? Do you want a CV that will get you noticed? How about the opportunity to enhance your skills and employability? And what if we said you could earn up to £300 at the same time? Sound interesting? Read on…
From October 2019, we’ll be opening applications for the Santander SME Internship programme. It’s a fantastic scheme that will give you the opportunity to work in a supervised environment with a small to medium sized enterprise (SME's) in the Greater Manchester area. The internships are available across a variety of sectors with a duration of 4-10 weeks based on the needs of the employer. You will be paid £8.75 per hour and could earn up to £300 per week based on a 35 hour week.
A paid internship will give you the chance to develop your core skills (such as leadership, communication and team working), helping you to build experience to stand out from the crowd. They can also give you a taste of potential career paths, and provide you with access to industry leaders and professionals (great for growing your contacts and professional network)!
Still sound interesting? Read on for a bit of the ‘small print’ and how to apply.
Key elements of the scheme and eligibility criteria
Whilst a paid internship is an excellent opportunity it’s important that you understand the ‘small print’ before you start to apply:
- Internship positions are based on a 35 hours working week, or part time for 17.5 hours
- You can only work for one SME over the course of the internship programme (October 19- September 20)
- Internship vacancies will be advertised online (and you need to log in to the system to see the opportunities available)
- Vacancies will run October 2019 - September 2020. They are flexible and can be on a part time or full time basis. Hours and duration can be discussed with the employer
- You can only access the scheme if you have not previously participated in a Santander internship
- If you are in full time study you can only work full time during the inter-trimester breaks
- If you take up part time work whilst studying, you must make sure that your studies are not negatively affected
- You must have the necessary right to work in the UK, and if you’re an international student or graduate, please be aware that you may be subject to visa restrictions - please check eligibility before applying. Employers will carry out the right to work check before you start your internship.
How do I apply for the scheme?
So, you know you're eligible, what do you do next? Select the role you wish to apply for via our Vacancies page. Funded Internships will be labelled Santander.
Please create a CV and covering letter that is tailored to the role you are applying for (follow these links to see our guides to help with this). Once you have done this, please book in for a CV review with a Careers Advisor here.
To apply, please complete the following:
- Email your completed CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Word or PDF attachment
- Include the name and reference number of the role you’re are applying for in the subject line, along with your student ID number.
Your CV will be checked for suitability and we will let you know if it has been forwarded to the employer.
The employer will contact you if you are successful (timescales may vary depending on the employer and the volume of applications).