Make THE Difference
The University of Salford has funding to support students with vision, drive, commitment and passion to change the world for the better. This money will go to funding and supporting students of the University who have a passion and an idea to make a difference in their community.
The Make THE Difference fund is a small amount of funding up to £1,000, for individuals to try out their idea. This might mean finding out if their idea is viable, learning more about what is needed and trying the project on a small scale first.
The application process
- Submit an online application form detailing your idea and the need for funding.
- Criteria will be checked and applications will be assessed through an initial selection process (any applications that do not get through at this stage will receive feedback and will be invited to reapply in the next round of funding).
- Applicants will be invited to pitch at a judging panel on Wednesday 11th April 2018.
- All pitches will receive feedback and will either be awarded all funding, part funding or no funding.
- Have a connection to the University of Salford
- Applicants are expected to engage with the Enterprise team to gain understanding of how to set up a business in the UK. This can be in form of one to one appointments, attending workshops or Business Bootcamp.
- It is potentially sustainable and have evidence as to how it will be sustained/turn a profit - applicants should include a summary of the costs that they will incur when starting their business. This must include things such as business insurance, premises costs, manufacturing cost, materials/ equipment cost, marketing costs etc. -based on the needs of the applicant’s business.
- Have evidence of market research and can demonstrate a need within the market - Applicants are expected to have engaged with potential clients and/or carried out surveys or focus groups to gather market intelligence.
- In need of an award to progress on to the next stage of the business
- Be a Learning Opportunity for the Award Winner(s)
- Be a new initiative/start up – not a continuation of ongoing operations
- Not be for activities outside the law, against public policy or anything that fosters ethnic, religious or commercial disharmon
- To be eligible for a Start Up or Make THE Difference Award, applicants must have engaged in enterprising activities at the University of Salford prior to applying
- Over 16 and living in the UK for the duration of the project
- A student of The University of Salford
- An Individual or part of small informal group
- Must be avilable to pitch
- Award winners must attend an award winners Santander Event
All Santander Award recipitants are required to participate fully in the University's donor engagement activity as and when requested to do so. This includes, but is not limited to providing reports or updates (including photos if appropiate) on the project or work undertanek when requested by a member of University staff, which may then be included in University communications as appropriate; attending donor thank you events (usually one or two a year) when requested to by University Staff; allowing details such as your name, course, project and expected year of graduation to be included in public University communications.