How to prepare for the event
Use the University's Careers Service
It is important that you access support from the University's Careers Service before you attend the event. The Careers Service can provide you with advice and information on your future career direction, help you think about how you can best "sell" yourself to employers, help you think about how you can improve your employability and help you to prepare for interviews. You can book an appointment with a University Careers Adviser here .The Careers Service is in University House on the floor 1.
Think about what you want
Think about what type of part-time/volunteering opportunity you want to do and what skills and experiences you are looking to gain. Think about the types of questions you might want to ask the employers to help you decide whether specific opportunities are what you are looking for. This event gives you an opportunity to network with employers to help you determine what type of opportunity you are looking for. This event provides an opportunity for you to "sell" your skills and abilities to a potential employer.
Improve your CV
Many businesses at the fair will accept a copy of your CV.
- Create or update your CV: please use our guide to creating a CV here
- Visit the Careers & Employability at least a week before the fair to get your CV reviewed by a CV Consultant here
- Give yourself time to make necessary changes to your CV before you make copies and bring them to the fair.
- Bring several copies of your CV with you.
- Examine the list of employers that will be offering jobs at the Work Fair. This list contains information about the vacancies on offer. You can find out more about the employers that will be at the Work Fair by looking at the list of attendees on the webpage for the event
Employers at the fair will be giving out application forms to students interested in their vacancies. Take the forms away from the fair and complete them carefully and thoroughly checking them for mistakes before sending them to employers. Completing an application form in a hurry at the fair may make your application look untidy and you may make mistakes. Make sure you get the correct contact details from employers to return applications.
Wear something appropriate
It is best not to wear jeans and a t-shirt to attend this event. It is best to wear something smart. You may meet a potential employer at this event and it is important that you make a good impression.